Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Elemental Designs e15A.22 OR Image Dynamics iDMAX 12???

MJ23FE is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elemental Designs e15A.22 OR Image Dynamics iDMAX 12???

I cannot make this decision for the life of me!!!
    First off i know topic's like this have been covered a bazillion times so please bare with me for everyone's questions are different, and mine are definately specific. I started the post most recent about the DA TDX 12 vs. the ID IDMAX 12, and i have ruled the DA TDX out and now i am considering these 2 subs. I will probably be using a JBL BP1200.1 to power either one of these subs, if that helps at all. I reviewed my budget and its alot smaller than i once thought!

What is going to sound better is a sealed 1.5 cu.ft. box? The E15a.22 or the iDMAX 12??? I am highly considering the E15a and i want to put it in a sealed enclosure.
    I want the sub thats going to sound better with equal power going to either. Both are rated about the same at 1000wRMS and about 1500-1800w max. Whats going to be the better sub in a 1.5cu.ft. enclosure? I want the sub thats going to sound the cleanest in all sorts of music. I am more concerned with Sound Quality than SPL competition. I know that either of these subs will go loud as hell when turned up loud with 1000wRMS going to them, so how can i make my decision??? I have not heard either, and i am basing my purchase on the people that have.

I want it to be tight when its tight. I want it to be low when its low. And when its all over the place, i want it to reproduce it flawlessly.
    I read the review of the iDMAX 12 and all i got was unbelievable results from the reviewer with all sorts of music.

Please some one help me!!!
    Thanks for any help you could give me!!!
    -Jalal

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Monster 1 Farad Capacitor
    KnuKonceptz Complete Wiring
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:
    to replace my Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it looks like maybe you should be going more towards the ED O's...

not many people have heard it, but ED promises the O series to be a magnificent SQ driver. I don't know if you want all SQ, cause that's what it is... supposedly not made for SPL applications at all. I guess you might get less SQ with LOADS os SPL o the A's, but if strict SQ is what you need, ED's best offering would be the O series. I'm sure it will still get loud...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

MJ23FE is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well i dont want it to look like i want strictly SPL, i mean i want it to be an all around good sub. I want it to sound really clean and bump when its turned up loud you know. I want a great all around subwoofer. Will sound amazing no matter what i play. When it is rock will reproduce bass drum and bass guitars, when its hip-hop will boom, you guys know what i mean?
    I read the iDMAX 12 review and he played it with all sorts of music and loved it. Please more responses!!!
    -Jalal

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by MJ23FE
    Well i dont want it to look like i want strictly SPL, i mean i want it to be an all around good sub. I want it to sound really clean and bump when its turned up loud you know. I want a great all around subwoofer. Will sound amazing no matter what i play. When it is rock will reproduce bass drum and bass guitars, when its hip-hop will boom, you guys know what i mean?
    I read the iDMAX 12 review and he played it with all sorts of music and loved it. Please more responses!!!
    -Jalal
    If that is the case, you could always state your budget for subs and quantity.

I have a gut feeling that when the A's come out, EVERYBODY's gonna rave about it. SOme respectable people here in the forum has actually tried the subwoofers and so far, they've only good thigs to say...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

MJ23FE is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah i have gone to soundillusions.net and joined the forum to see what people over there had to say about it, and i read one review that absolutely sold me hands down.
    Here it is:
    Originally posted by P][cklicious from www.soundillusions.net
    Ok got it (ehheh thx for the t-shirt eD) and had it installed in a jiffy.

When I 1st looked at this beast, I knew I was dealing with a serious sub. The motor structure dwarfed my IDMAX and even made the HCCA 12d motor seem small. Overall, the beatiful motor made me have to seriously think about whether I was gonna invert this beastie or go traditional. I'm prolly going to invert it

I popped it into my box, which is 2.0 cubes before disp. with a 1.5" slot port tuned to 30Hz. Power from an arc audio 2500 cxl wired at 4 ohms, gains very conservatively set. Also have an alumipro 15 farad cap on this, which honestly I dunno if it does a whole lot, but my lights dont seem to dim now...or maybe thats just placebo effect Front stage are MB quart reference components, powered by a pioneer GMX 1020 class A.

Ill post a full review later, cause Ive only listened to about 20 tracks now. I am thrilled with this sub. THRILLED. It is amazingly tight and there is, as people have noted, no overhang whatsoever. Very tight, transparent, and seemingly effortless for the speaker. It is amazingly efficient as well, from what I gather, even thou I am sending over 1000 watts to it. The bass is fluid... and did I mention TIGHT? Each kickdrum on Metallica's Shortest Straw hit me in the chest like no other sub has been able to do. SQ is suberb... I honeslty prefer it to my IDMAX...I don't know if that is a reflection of the enclosure or whatnot, but the 12A really seems to perform better in this ported install. It blends so well with the frontstage also, much moreso than any sub I have yet heard or owned. Fanfare for a common man, the kettledrums actually SOUND like kettledrums. I was enthralled

Now output (for all you bassheads)... MY GOD this sub can pound. Effortlessly too. No cone noise whatsoever on KMFDM's Megalomaniac, just INSANE output with no detectable distortion. I really couldnt listen to it that long very loud, cause I kinda started to get ill. Really, this is a monster when provoked. Lays waste to my HCCA, JL12w6, and even rivals my IDMAX. Sad thing was, I really probably only had it up to 1/2 the xmax. So any of you thinking of getting this sub and ARENT going to compete in SPL comps, the 12A is more than what you will need to make yourself very deaf in a very short time. The low end is staggering... Just really lives up to the hype.

So thats it for my prelim review, now ill go spend a few quality days with this beast and write a full on review when i get a chance.

BTW just so you guys dont think I am some chump, I am a classically trained jazz and classical trumpet player, who plays professionally in the NYC area. SO I DO know what music is supposed to sound like

Thx BEN and eD, looks like I made the right decision.
    I hope that helps someone else too. I know that i am going with the ED E12a.22 now with an Avionixx AXT 800.2.
    Thanks guys!
    -Jalal

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've heard rave reviews about the 12A thus far, hearing how it is an awesome SQ driver, then another review will rave of it's SPL capabilities. Dustin (Rangerman) has one several competitions with a single 12A, and he loves the **** thing.

I just ordered 2 15" A's...

snipe523 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Iordered my 12A a few weeks back and I can't wait to get it. I got my Avionixx 800.2 already and I love this friggin amp. It puts out the cleanest sound of any amp I have heard so far. Not too mention it looks **** good too.

MJ23FE is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by snipe523
    Iordered my 12A a few weeks back and I can't wait to get it. I got my Avionixx 800.2 already and I love this friggin amp. It puts out the cleanest sound of any amp I have heard so far. Not too mention it looks **** good too.
    You got any pictures of the amp that you took?
    I plan on going with the E12a because the 15 will just be to friggin loud for me.
    -Jalal

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Originally posted by MJ23FE
    I plan on going with the E12a because the 15 will just be to friggin loud for me.
    Well, I plan on going with 2 15A's because I don't like my ears

MJ23FE is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by snova031
    Well, I plan on going with 2 15A's because I don't like my ears
    I used to have the JL Audio CS310R-W0 box which is [3] 10W0's and that knocked my ear a little out of wack. I can hear out of it fine but when i am listening to the tv or music on my computer at normal volume, i can definately feel the difference. I had the same Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2 amp that i am going to use to power my HEXs' powering that box.
    -Jalal

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:

SasquatchBump is offline SQ is better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you want a comparison between the IDMAX and the e12a, read the most recent momentum online magazine. Read the SQ review and the Test Bench.
    Thats the IDMAX and e12a, respectively.

Both the reviewers are VERY knowlegeable

1994 Probe SE

HU: Alpine 7893
    Front Stage: JL XR 6.5" CSI
    Rear: Who Cares....
    Speaker Amp: JBL 180.2
    Sub Amp: Avionixx 500m
    Sub: Elemental 12O.44 getting 500+ watts
    EQ: Audio Control
    80 Sq feet of deadener

Closed Thread