Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need some advice.. Looking for a sub..

migueldeluna is offline Still Learning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need some advice.. Looking for a sub..

I got a i606 Hifonics Amp and I was wondering what's the best fit for this amp? I'm tired of blowing subs. What would you use?

tee
    tee is offline You know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need some advice.. Looking for a sub..

You're tired of blowing subs eh? Most people in here would use a DMM.

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The amp only puts out 300w, so you dont want anything too crazy. Most people seem to blow thier subs by underpowering them, so that may have been your problem, depending on the sub and box it was in of course.

Something loud:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6114

Something clean:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2537

The possiblities are limitless man. Just dont get something that wants more than 300rms, and dual 4 ohm(or single 2 ohm)

craigzter is offline erm..hello.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loaked View Post
    Most people seem to blow thier subs by underpowering them, so that may have been your problem
    once again, you cannot blow a sub by underpowering them

::Sold To:: Defconx3 :: blaze383(x3) :: FASTIMES :: bow125106(x2) :: KINGDELL91 :: blackdragonx118(ROE) :: fletch_1 :: Bassbumper15 :: RuLayd(s10forum.com) :: outspoken :: revrider1 :: Rashaddd :: farmerehsan :: 22mountaineer :: 2000gator :: Chin_Chilla :: chevyboy91
    =====
    ::Bought From:: 2002XLT :.: ReDemon :: blazinb2000 :: Bassbumper15 :: BushJ311 :: woofercooker :: 18inchjeepin
    =====
    ::Traded With:: spivey17323
    01 Chevy Silverado = v6 - 5spd - gray = 20s - DD612(for sale/trade) on a DD m.80

Americanstrat21 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^^ You sir, are an IDIOT.

Headunit: Pioneer Deh 600UB
    Amp: MTX TA 7801
    Sub: 18" Fi Q
    Wire: Stinger 0/1 Gauge
    Speakers: PG RSD6.5's (Soon)
    Speaker Amp: Hifonics Zeus zxi4406

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313938

My build

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigzter View Post
    once again, you cannot blow a sub by underpowering them
    Yea your technically right, but in most cases people buy these big bad *** subs that think they are going to hit so hard, and then skimp on the amp.

Then crank the shat out of it and keep turning it up and up since its not hitting as hard as they think it should, so it starts clipping the amp and frys the sub. Usually this is done in a trunk of a car where the sub can not be heard distorting to no end, and soon the coil heats up and melts together or unravels.

An underpowered sub distorts much quicker than one driven at proper wattage levels. The less power the harder time the amp has controling the motor struchter in the sub, which generally equals distortion, giving a square looking wave instead of a nice rounded one. Sqare waves are bad. This is what I have been taught and known. So technically now that I think about, you might be wrong. I could be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Americanstrat21 View Post
    ^^ You sir, are an IDIOT.
    Thank you sir. But, I hope you arent talking about me

but if u blew a sub by underpoowering it you are absolutely one of the dumbest individuals out there. Therefore you shoul not even try to manage getting a system in your ride.

/ thread

but i can see where loaked is coming from. Talking about the amp clipping, yes i can see that...but putting a true 300watts, that is NOT clipping, to a sub that can handle 1500-2500wrms, will do nothing but make it produce sound.

::Sold To:: Defconx3 :: blaze383(x3) :: FASTIMES :: bow125106(x2) :: KINGDELL91 :: blackdragonx118(ROE) :: fletch_1 :: Bassbumper15 :: RuLayd(s10forum.com) :: outspoken :: revrider1 :: Rashaddd :: farmerehsan :: 22mountaineer :: 2000gator :: Chin_Chilla :: chevyboy91
    =====
    ::Bought From:: 2002XLT :.: ReDemon :: blazinb2000 :: Bassbumper15 :: BushJ311 :: woofercooker :: 18inchjeepin
    =====
    01 Chevy Silverado = v6 - 5spd - gray = 20s - DD612(for sale/trade) on a DD m.80

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigzter View Post
    Thank you sir. But, I hope you arent talking about me

but if u blew a sub by underpoowering it you are absolutely one of the dumbest individuals out there. Therefore you shoul not even try to manage getting a system in your ride.

/ thread

LMAO, man ive seen hundreads blow subs from not running enough power. That and pre-fab band pass boxes in a trunk. Please explain why you think its dumn to blow a sub from not enough power, and justify it to someone who is new in the car audio world. Most noobs just keep turning it up and dont know to listen for the distortion.

Think of the age old analogy:

If you have an F350 with a honda civic motor in it. Yea the **** will run, but that motor is going to blow, not enough power to push that big *** trunk.

Put a turbo k24 in the civic and that shits hauling some ***. The more power the better.

This isnt an exact analogy, but it gets the point accross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

LMAO, man ive seen hundreads blow subs from not running enough power. That and pre-fab band pass boxes in a trunk. Please explain why you think its dumn to blow a sub from not enough power, and justify it to someone who is new in the car audio world. Most noobs just keep turning it up and dont know to listen for the distortion.
    i understand, but the signal is being clipped correct? sending an unclipped signal to a sub being underpowered will not hurt it. If you know what you are doing, you can underpower a sub and not hurt it. UNLESS you are completely dumb and keep turning it up more and more as you have stated.

=====
    =====

DDeitz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

when the cops pull me over and say my system to loud , im going to the .."but officer i was just trying to not under power my subs thats why i drive around with them turned up full volume in traffic..because if i turn the volume knob down the amps wount be sending the subs their max power and therefor would be under powering them and it would blow them"

please...you cannot blow a sub by under powering it.

Quote Originally Posted by azbass View Post
    I have JL wire because im baller status and thats what ballers use.
    Stock stereo ftw

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DDeitz View Post
    when the cops pull me over and say my system to loud , im going to the .."but officer i was just trying to not under power my subs thats why i drive around with them turned up full volume in traffic..because if i turn the volume knob down the amps wount be sending the subs their max power and therefor would be under powering them and it would blow them"

please...you cannot blow a sub by under powering it.
    Are you being serious lol?

Anyone who has a true knowledge and experience in car audio will tell you you its easy to blow a sub from under powering it at HIGH VOLUME. Period. Obviosly your not going to blow anything at low levels. Its about the amp contolling the speaker. Simple as that.

Its very hard to explain, and if i really had the initiative to break it all down so you could understand the science behind it all I would. But I'm no teacher, and am racking my brain just thinking how to explain it all in laymens terms more detailed than I already have in my previous posts.

All I was just making sure the OP choose the right stuff thats all. I've been posting on this site for 4 days and seems like every post I am arguing with someone about this or that and how everyone is wrong. I guess thats the fun internet forums bring...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The amp only puts out 300w, so you dont want anything too crazy. Most people seem to blow thier subs by underpowering them, so that may have been your problem, depending on the sub and box it was in of course.

Something loud:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6114

Something clean:
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2537

The possiblities are limitless man. Just dont get something that wants more than 300rms, and dual 4 ohm(or single 2 ohm)

Just to let you know... I don't know if I was wrong with this but I had 2 older versions of the P2 series with this amp.. and it ****ing pounded... my brother had them in his car and they practically shook the things in our house as he pulled up..

Do you think a newer version of the P2 will take all the power?

If what all this you argue above is true... it probably blew because it got underpowered.. however I highly doubt that... because I felt the bass... and idk it just didn't seem underpowered... it actually seemed too much bass for p2's.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tee View Post
    You're tired of blowing subs eh? Most people in here would use a DMM.
    Blown 3... first was cuz I made the mistake of the friend installation..

changed subs.. happened again... my fault that time..

and the last one... I got this amp and some p2's from my brother and he had about a year with em..they blew with me.

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I am just a big fan of the overpowered subs. Over powered subs sound so much better, so much tighter and responsive. And I have dealt with way too many retarted rich kids who would pop subs weekly because they didnt know what the hell they where doing. ugh..

That aside, the P2's are a great sub, and you would be surprised how good a 12 would sound with the power you would be giving it. Especialy in a tuned ported box. But I'm partial to sealed. And yes it would take all that power.

I wish someone would chime in and back me up on the under power thing, I feel like the underpower nazi here lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess I am just a big fan of the overpowered subs. Over powered subs sound so much better, so much tighter and responsive. And I have dealt with way too many retarted rich kids who would pop subs weekly because they didnt know what the hell they where doing. ugh..

That aside, the P2's are a great sub, and you would be surprised how good a 12 would sound with the power you would be giving it. Especialy in a tuned ported box. But I'm partial to sealed. And yes it would take all that power.

I wish someone would chime in and back me up on the under power thing, I feel like the underpower nazi here lol.
    lol i guess im going to take the risk and blow the other one... i honestly dont believe it can take the power from this underrated amp but i will hold u to it.

anyone else wanna help and argue this too? it would sure help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List