Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pair of Orion 10" XTR's in sealed box

I am installing a pair of Orion XTRs, (Old school ones? I assume?)

I am going to use a Pioneer P4700mp Head unit, (50w x 4) And Infinity Reference series 741a Amp. 600w 4 channel amp. (In mono and set up for two subs according to the instructions.)

My question is this, can my subs be wired 2 OR 4 ohm? And if so, which is the best way to do it ? Also since I am wiring my own box I made to fit behind the seat of my CC Super Duty. How exactly am I going to wire this.

I see 4 connectors on each speaker, and the amps instructions show something about 2-4 Omh wireing,, which way is best and exactly how would you do it.
    By box is side by side, sealed and a bit less than 1 cubic foot each side.

(I work on F-15 Eagles, but it has been an ETERNITY since I had to mess with any stereo stuff,,,,)
    Last edited by JimTJr; 04-19-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pair of Orion 10" XTR's in sealed box

If the subs are dual voice coil and each coil is 4 ohms then you can wire them in parrallel and make 2 ohms or you can wire them in series and make them 8 ohms each. It gets complicated from here though, which is why I am assuming no one has responded lol.

To bridge the front or the rear of the amp you have to give it a 4 ohm load so that when its bridged it will play at full power at 2 ohms.

If you give it a 2 ohm load bridged then it will play at 1 ohm and probably shut off on you alot, which can lead to other problems.

If you give it an 8 ohm load bridged then it will run at half power which would be 4 ohms.

So when dealing with 2 dual 4 ohm subs off of a 4 channel amp you can either run the full amp at half power, or run half the amp at full power, or run the hell out of it and have it shut off on you alot. I would run half the amp at full power and the other half to your front speakers.

I hope this makes sense lol, its kind of hard to explain.

Orion Man is offline Livin' Loud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Loaked did a good job explaining, but here is a link to the wiring wizard. It'll give you a picture of how they should be wired. Nice subs BTW, I am running a single XTR12 DVC and I love it.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

2003 Nissan Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    -Alpine--Focal--Massive Audio--Stinger--Kinetik--Second Skin-

JimTJr is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is the AMP I am going to use,

2006 infinity Reference 7541a 656 watts 4 channel amplifier

***BRAND NEW INFINITY REFERENCE AMPLIFIER SERIES ARE HERE***

THIS ITEM IS BRAND NEW AND COMPLETE
    The new 2006 amplifier liner up from infinity is the best we have seen in terms of performance, value, and aesthetic. Infinity is the leader in mobile electronics for over 25 years. There products are featured in the most expensive cars made. This series of amps is constructed of heavy duty aluminum heat sinking. The connectors are heavy duty gold plated terminals. The entire amp is made to the highest level of fit and finish. These amps will make any high end installation a winner..

Look at the specs and features:

* Car audio 4 channel amp
    * PMW MOSFET power supply
    * Variable low pass/highpass crossover
    * Dynamic bass optimizer variable bass boost 0 - 12db @ 50 hz
    * one pair of pre amp outputs
    * 111 watts RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms
    * 278 Watts x 2 RMS @ 2 ohms
    * 656 watt dynamic power
    * freq. Response 10 hz - 100Khz
    * 15" x 12" x 2 11/16"

So at 2 ohms set up for my subs, it will be near 300w a channel right?

Orion Man is offline Livin' Loud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Running in a 2ohm load off the rear channels will give you plenty of power. The subs require 250rms per sub, and your putting a claimed 278rms into them. You should be fine.

2003 Nissan Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    -Alpine--Focal--Massive Audio--Stinger--Kinetik--Second Skin-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I just found out they are DVC 4ohm speakers. So the guy at Ultimate Electronics, (where I went to get my grills at, ended up getting them at Circuit City)
    In any event he told me I could only use the rear channel on my amp, and had to do them in series, in the box, then bridge the rear channel of the amp for a 4ohm load.
    (Ultimately only using half my amp, is this correct?)
    I am currently going to check out that link in the post above, to see other wiring options since I know what I have now.

Looks like this amp, or these subs do not give me the best combination... huh?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the subs are dual voice coil and each coil is 4 ohms then you can wire them in parrallel and make 2 ohms or you can wire them in series and make them 8 ohms each. It gets complicated from here though, which is why I am assuming no one has responded lol.
    Loaked,,, Exactly how are you saying to do this, (He has me wiring them with on coils + to the same subs other coils - which makes them 8 ohm speakers. Each voice coil is 4 ohms, (3.7 or so anyway)
    Is your way going to get me the most bang for my setup?

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The problem is there is no way to get your 4 channel amp to run at full power with 2 dual 4 ohm voice coil subs.

You can either run half your amp at full power, or your full amp at half power. Period. No other way around it. And either way its going to be the same amount of power. So just choose one.

Personally wire each sub to equal 8 ohms each; which is series. Then take each sub and wire them in parralell, so that your total ohm load is 4 ohms, then bridge the rear part of the amp.

Or get single 4 ohm subs, dual 2 ohm subs, or a 2channel amp. No mono amp, unless its 1ohm stable.

The issue with bridging one sub to the front and one sub to the rear is that you have to make **** sure that the gain, crossover, wire length(not that important) subsonic filters, etc, basically everything is EXACTLY the same on the front and rear settings on the amp. ESPECIALLY if the subs are sharing the same air space.(same box with no divider in between them) There are a ton of vaiables here, so this may not be a big issue, but its something to consider if you wire front to one sub and rear to the other and they are in the same box sharing the same air space.

If your still confused let me I know, I can draw up a quick diagram to show you how to wire it all up in MS paint or somthing and post it on here.

I see you went to an Ultimate Electronics. They are deffinaltly not what they used to be, but I did sales there for about 3 years, and then installs for just over a year there here in Phoenix when they first openned up here in 2002.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They do not share the same air space, box does have a divider. So if I use the rears on the amp, and wire it like you told me, (Same as his way, make them two 8 ohm speakers, then parallel them.) This would be the same as using the whole amp, (Like your second example above?) and still using the whole amp@half power?
    Or would there be an advantage to doing it with ONE sub on front/back?

Thanks for your patience!

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Definatly wire both of the subs to the rear channels like I and the Ultimate guy said. If anything a slight disadvantage to ONE sub front/back due to the woofers possibly not getting the exact same signal, and fighting each other. And hey, now you can power your fronts so overall your system will sound better now.

skateboardkid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

did you already buy this amp?
    plenty of 500 watt cheap option out there, therwise you got teh best advice as far as what to do.

“It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.”
    -Benjamin Frankin

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    True midbass begins when the impact is so accurate and realistic that it sounds like someone is beating on the front part of your dash with a baseball bat.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Yes I already had this amp. I was running it with the stock HU and my Infinity Reference speakers. Now the Pioneer runs the speakers, (50x4) so they sound very good with it. Guess I will run this amp for now, and if I am not happy with it's sub performance. Probably doubtful, right? Then go with another amp. (Or would other subs work better with this amp? (The 2 ohm configuration for the amp?)

Again, thanks everyone for the ongoing education!

Loaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea if you want to keep those subs then you need a 2 channel amp, or if you want to use that same amp then go with singe 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm subs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I READ the sticky above, There is NO BEST AMP, NO BEST SUB,,, NO best SETUP, ect... ROTFLMAO,, And I understand your frustrations in some of the questions I bet.

However, do you have any recommendations on dual 2 ohm subs? (Reasonable price?) And 10",, Have to be shallow mount too, in order to fit in my box..
    Just for future reference....

528hz is offline Everything'sMiscellaneous

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

If you ever want to trade/sell those subs, let me know.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List