Closed Thread

Reload Thread: AA vs. RE

Phlipbak is offline CA Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AA vs. RE

Alright, well I haven't been on the forums in about a year, just because I have been busy and was completely content with my first system . But I now have the car audio bug again.. I have a Dodge Charger, with a sealed 2.5 cu. ft. box in the trunk with 2x12's (Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12's), and an Elemental Designs ednine.1 powering them at about 1200-1250RMS@1ohm.. but I want something that hits a little harder now.

I'm a fan of sound quality, and I have heard an Alpine Type R and it sounds pretty good, plus I like my SQ a LOT, but I need more output.. let's just use a couple hypothetical situations to get my point across:

1)If I used my same box and amp, but swapped my AA's for two RE SE 12's how much louder would it be in comparison to my current setup? Because those RE's magnets are loads bigger than the Arsenal's, if I'm not mistaken, and I heard they hit really hard.

2)If I got a 3 to 3.5, maybe even 4 cu. ft. box for 2x12's, and put two RE SE 12's in it, powered still by my ednine.1, would the output also be noticeably greater than my current system?

So, considering all of this, take into account that I have no speakers in the rear area of my car (only subs in trunk, no rear deck mids or anything), only Elemental Designs components in front with mids in doors the tweets in dash running 100w per side, would the bass be noticeably louder with either of these setups? Which do you recommend as far as price/convenience goes? And would the sub swap make my bass overpower my fronts too much? Would these scenarios not even cause my bass to be any louder, like I would I need SX's and a 2k watt amp or something to have a noticeable bass increase?

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, and the like, so I don't want my front speakers to be too overpowered, but I do like me some bass..

So can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Trevor

'06 Dodge Charger Brilliant Black

-~-Refs-~-
    Bought from: hessdawg, Team H&K, TurdFergueson2, Millertime1028, kmanian, and DBDESIGNSELITE IS A SCAMMER!!!
    Sold to: Multiple people, just none through CA.com!
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Quote Originally Posted by bball09124 View Post
    You can probly fit about 6 sets of Sony Xplod 6.5"s in your doors if you just cut them up. They should bang hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: AA vs. RE

In a sealed box se's MIGHT take arsenals......definitely not ported. I'd say just port the arsenals 4-5 cubes net to 32 hz and you'll be happy.

2002 Ford Explorer Limited
    All Black 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT Autoride
    4 Ascendant Audio hAvoc 15's
    2 AQ HDC3 18's
    Kenwood DDX-7017
    Clarion Flipout
    2 Autotek MEAN MACHINES MX3000.1
    2 powerbass xa3000d
    Ascendant Audio Poly Mids
    F+R CDT Comps
    Ascendant/Vifa XT25 Tweets
    AQ 100.4
    Orion 275SX (mids)
    24" Boss 330 Chrome Lip, black Spokes
    PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
    SS Chevy Front Bumper, roll pan
    CLARION MCD360 3-way active x-over
    no moldings, shaved emblems

bones22 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I want SExxx View Post
    In a sealed box se's MIGHT take arsenals......definitely not ported. I'd say just port the arsenals 4-5 cubes net to 32 hz and you'll be happy.
    x2

skateboardkid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitly try to build bigger ported box for subs you already own, cheapest and loudest option. by far.

filtor1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Go ported....

adio is offline THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why not do 1 15 in a ported box @3.0- 3.5cu ft, tuned to 32hz?

refs= springy101 <-- ultimate buyer, jmanpc(sold stereo), pwnt by pat <---the ultimate installer, PV audio and ionsql(box designs), toxic tuan (crystal comps), hazardous0388 (8" TB's), backthepack(jbl1200.1), bamavoo (sold profile ap1000M), rashadd (box plans in time of need), bassaddictj (jl xr mids), louisiana_crx(traded amps for DD comps), revrider1 (traded tc sub for RE sub and amp), jcldallas24 (bought jbl 1200.1), boomsday (2.3 cu ft tuned to 32hz)
    fuq with adio, get your money/product that completely works........GUARANTEED!!!!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so new box it is! Will I lose any SQ ported? And will output gain be that noticeable?

Thanks!

Trevor

-~-Refs-~-
    Bought from: hessdawg, Team H&K, TurdFergueson2, Millertime1028, kmanian, and DBDESIGNSELITE IS A SCAMMER!!!
    You can probly fit about 6 sets of Sony Xplod 6.5"s in your doors if you just cut them up. They should bang hard.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who knows a GOOD box builder? I had a TCAB but never used it, I sold it to go sealed instead. So I never got to hear my subs ported.

O, and another thing.. I have horrible cabin gain in my Charger, anything I can do about that? It's like INSANELY louder in back seat than the front.. more than it is in other cars, trust me..

Aso if I got a ported box the port would probably have to be on the sides, in the back, or under or on top of the subs due to width limitations in the trunk.. would the port placement affect SQ, output, or anything?

Trevor

P.S. Exactly HOW MUCH louder will this be..VERY noticeable?? Just don't wanna waste my money..

What if I got like a Fi Audio Q Series 15 and ported it or something? Anyone know if their BL line of subs has decent SQ?

Just throwing out ideas..

-~-Refs-~-

newusername is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just stick with what you have and port it. Those subs are better ported. You won't loose much SQ, you'll just gain a lot of low end...... as far as it being louder in the back...... once you port them that might change. You'll peak a lot lower. The low notes tend to do better up front while the higher notes do better in the back of any vehicle.

2002 Ford Explorer Limited
    All Black 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT Autoride
    4 Ascendant Audio hAvoc 15's
    2 AQ HDC3 18's
    Kenwood DDX-7017
    Clarion Flipout
    2 Autotek MEAN MACHINES MX3000.1
    2 powerbass xa3000d
    Ascendant Audio Poly Mids
    F+R CDT Comps
    Ascendant/Vifa XT25 Tweets
    AQ 100.4