hello all
    i mostly listen to rock
    mabey 1 out of 10 songs are rap or hip hop
    but sq is way more important to me then the other one
    i have a 98 civic 4 door
    the guy at car toys said i should go with 2 tens or 1 12
    but in a smaller car like mine would 1 ten be enough
    i have a kenwood deck and 4 infinity ref speakers
    i dont want the bass to be over powering, which is why i think 1 ten would be good
    so do u think 1 ten would sound good, i am thinking about 1 12 but i dont want to spend the extra money for a 2 tens
    thanks

jellydime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would recommend a JL10W3. I listen to a lot of rock music and I have found that these hit very clean and the bass won't be overpowering unless you want it to be.

natem33 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One good ten will sound good. Two tens will also sound good, and will give you more air movement so you will 'feel' the bass more than a single ten.

Unregistered Guest

i dont really want to "feel" the bass, i dont care about that, also,
    what would rattle my trunk less, 1 ten 2 tens or 1 12.
    the dude at car toys was telling me 1 ten would be "overstressed" and couldnt handle anything at loud volumes. is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you don't care to'feel' the bass then one ten would sound just fine. The only over stress that it may see if you try to force huge SPL out of it and that is not your objective, so no worries.

Unregistered Guest

dude you can make an 8'' sub make your trunk rattle.

AFIREINSIDE is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i'm with the dude above me.. get an 8" sub.. dude.. just screw that.. get some nice 6x9's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depending on your bass needs, I would stick with a 10 inch subs. An 8 would work and sound good, but a 10 can produce lower frequencies with less effort than an 8. Using 6X9's will give you a good bass sound but you will still lack the true low freqwuency reproduction.

Unregistered Guest

i do have 6x9s and when turned up loud to some music will ratlle my trunk, thats why i am woring about the rattling. i just dont want to have the rattleing be worse and have it seem like the sub wasnt worth it

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    if your worried about your trunk ratteling...just add some sound deading material in your trunk as well as replace the surround lining your trunk

blade369 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a (early) 98 civic with a single 10w6 in a properly built enclosure. I am running only the fronts (currently Kenwood Execelon 167db+ 6.5s which I will not recommend to anyone wanting SQ) and this sub. The fronts are running off of an older PPI 50x2 Sedona amp (awesome SQ) and the JL is running off of a bridged Planet Audio amp at 275 Watts. I have no problem with cranking it up! Most people think that I have either 2 10's or 2 12's in the back and are very surprised at the SQ that that 1 10 inch sub puts out. As far as rattles are concerned there are a couple (mostly from the license plate!) but I really have to listen hard to hear them, esp at the sound levels needed to produce them. BTW if you don't use the rear deck speakers as I am you *can* get VERY good front stage imaging and get a bonus. The rear deck speakers will move as *passive radiators* (b/c of the massive sound wave that the 10W6 puts out) and will help with some of your mid bass for no extra cost. ~k

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    BTW I don't know what the guy at Car Toys is smoking. IF you build a good box to factory specs AND have a good efficient sub AND have the proper wattage you will get great sound out of 1 ten. Granted that more can be better but I am very aware of just how much room you have in the back of your 4 door civic so in this case would say that less is more. I have a friend who is the Asstnt mngr of the Lewsiville Car Toys who would tell you much the same things.
    IF price isn't an issue (and if it isn't then help a brother out!) I would REALLY suggest one of the JL 10w7 drivers. Goto www.jlaudio.com and check out the specs and then go you hence to your store and be amazed at what attention to detail can do! ~k

Unregistered Guest

dude i drive a civic, of course price matters

SaturnScott is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Before my current system, I had a small Koss 8" 200 watt, self-amplified bass tube. Positioned correctly (facing the rear of the trunk), this sub was perfect for rock music. For rap, it just wasn't enough bass, but it suited well with most types of music.

You don't need a lot. My Jensen 6 1/2" alone produce quite a bit of bass, and I use them as rears, not amplified. But I'd go with a small 8" sub and a small amp. Or buy the self-amplified type.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-1000
    High-End: Jensen (x4) 6 1/2" w/ Tweeters
    Low-End: 1-12" Pyle BlueWave 1000 watt sub, driven by a Jensen XA2125 500 Watt amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I don't have a whole lot to lay down on my stero either (hence the driving of a Civic) but I would really suggest that if SQ is important to you to take a good listen to the JL line. I find that my JL 10w6 (which is ancient at 5 years old) REALLY does a good job of representing *ANY* type of music with authority. Rock, Techno, Classic, Rap, you name it. I know that there is at least one set of JL on the classified ads that you can pick up pretty cheap. Again the box construction has as much or more to do with the sound then anything else.
    I cannot stress this fact enough though. Take a real critical listen to the equipment that you plan to throw into your car. Take music that you really know and listen for effortless reproduction and what sounds good to YOU! You are the one that is going to be spending a whole lota time with this sound, especially if you are buying on a budget, so you had better get a lot of bang for your buck.
    One other thing, and I truly beleive this to be a true statement.
    ***"...everything we buy must have a place in the finished system. By that I mean never buy something because of price and plan on replacing it with something better down the road." ***
    Source = http://www.decware.com/secrets.htm
    I have made some costly mistakes in my experience of buying car audio. My Kenwood 6.5's would be one of them. I looked at what i could afford, got excited, did an impulse buy and have had mostly regret ever since. Since then I have *really* been critical about my shopping and haven't changed very many parts because I don't want to waste money or efforts on crap. Anyway check out the decware link there is a LOT of very down to earth info to be had at this site. Stuff I wished I had known before starting down this fun and expensive habit! ~k

HU = Rockford RFX9300 (MP3s+Great SQ+3x 5 volt outputs = Heaven!)
    Fronts = Kenwood Execelon 167db+ Coaxials (not recommend for SQ, gonna replace these soon.)
    Front amp = PPI Sedona 50x2 (real) watts. (Great SQ in a small pakcage!)
    Rear deck = factory 6x9 but not used
    Sub = Single JL 10w6 (Gotta love JL)
    Sub amp = Planet Audio 4x100 bridged to 275 watts. (Decent amp for the money paid but not the best)
    Car = 1998 Honda Civic 4-door
    Looking to build custom kick panels to really enhance the front soundstage. As it is the soundstage is wide but dosen't have as much centrer imaging as I would want.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast