Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: Hertz?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Hertz?

    What does the frequency and hertz have to do with the sound of a speaker? Is that just how low it will get when playin the beats? And gains are just the power into the speakers??







  2. #2
    dbhittin's Avatar
    dbhittin is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Van...Wa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,828
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    off the subject, but are u from Vancouver, BC or WA?




  3. #3
    Audio N00B's Avatar
    Audio N00B is offline ...And Justice For All



    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A speaker reproduces frequencies from an electrical signal.



    Derp.

  4. #4
    evo2k3's Avatar
    evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch



    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Audio N00B
    A speaker reproduces frequencies from an electrical signal.
    yes--but since he doesn't understand frequency, he probably wont get that either......hertz is a messure of frequency (times per second). The frequecy that the current is alternating at makes the cone go in and out that many times per second (a 30hz note makes the cone go in and out 30 times per second). If you really wanted to go into it, the current altenates at that rate and goes through what is basicly a solinoid cause the coil of wire (hence the term voice coil) to be attracted and repeled from the big old magnet sitting on the back of the sub hence moving the cone....that last part may be a little over your head, but that shold clear up your understanding of frequency.



    I'm back to stock in my new car.....

  5. #5
    Biohazard's Avatar
    Biohazard is offline I AM

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Audio N00B
    A speaker reproduces frequencies from an electrical signal.
    yeah i get that......hertz is a measure of frequency right? so.....what produces the hertz? partially the box and partially the sub and amp? or...??




  6. #6
    Biohazard's Avatar
    Biohazard is offline I AM

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by evo2k3
    yes--but since he doesn't understand frequency, he probably wont get that either......hertz is a messure of frequency (times per second). The frequecy that the current is alternating at makes the cone go in and out that many times per second (a 30hz note makes the cone go in and out 30 times per second). If you really wanted to go into it, the current altenates at that rate and goes through what is basicly a solinoid cause the coil of wire (hence the term voice coil) to be attracted and repeled from the big old magnet sitting on the back of the sub hence moving the cone....that last part may be a little over your head, but that shold clear up your understanding of frequency.
    actually no i get it.....i am studyin physics right now hehe...thanks to this i am a step ahead of most!
    So the higher the frequency the higher pitched it can get? where as the lower the freuqency the lower the pitch?(pitch of sound i mean)


    VANCOUVER CANADA (BC) i have a canadain flag as an avitar..




  7. #7
    Audio N00B's Avatar
    Audio N00B is offline ...And Justice For All



    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, you got it. Frequency is measured in hertz. The human ear can only hear 20-20,000hz (which I'm sure you already knew).
    The lower the frequency, the lower the pitch.
    The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.



    Derp.

  8. #8
    ss3079's Avatar
    ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser



    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    22,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Biohazard
    VANCOUVER CANADA (BC) i have a canadain flag as an avitar..
    OT: What part of Vancouver? Surrey? Prince George? Maple Ridge? Downtown east side ? Etc

    - Steve



    Moderator

    2007 Chrysler 300C

    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

    2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

  9. #9
    Biohazard's Avatar
    Biohazard is offline I AM

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ss3079
    OT: What part of Vancouver? Surrey? Prince George? Maple Ridge? Downtown east side ? Etc

    - Steve
    Coquitlam....just outside burnaby and surrey......its kinda like the west van of the suburbs......i fu know what i mean.....Prince George?????thats like wow far away....like sayin isn't Toronto near Boston? or Edmonton near the us?




  10. #10
    Biohazard's Avatar
    Biohazard is offline I AM

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Audio N00B
    Yep, you got it. Frequency is measured in hertz. The human ear can only hear 20-20,000hz (which I'm sure you already knew).
    The lower the frequency, the lower the pitch.
    The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.
    actually no...i thought it was a bit different....but in that range....so if you tune the subs to low then they could just blow?




  11. #11
    ss3079's Avatar
    ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser



    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    22,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Biohazard
    Coquitlam....just outside burnaby and surrey......its kinda like the west van of the suburbs......i fu know what i mean.....Prince George?????thats like wow far away....like sayin isn't Toronto near Boston? or Edmonton near the us?
    I mentioned Prince George in case you lived closer to it(within Vancouver limits)...then it would have been respectable

    But yeah, I know where Coquitlam is.

    - Steve



    Moderator

    2007 Chrysler 300C

    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

    2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

  12. #12
    fantomas's Avatar
    fantomas is offline show her the oh face



    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    CT
    Age
    29
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Biohazard
    actually no...i thought it was a bit different....but in that range....so if you tune the subs to low then they could just blow?
    20 hz - 20khz is average. as you get older you hear less of the extremes (maybe 25 hz - 15 khz)

    i dont think you would blow a sub but i certainly wouldnt try it....it could play it but you wouldnt be able to hear it.



    when in doubt, check the ground.

    1728

  13. #13
    evo2k3's Avatar
    evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch



    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you dont hear it but it can still cause damage--I am pretty sure thats the concept behind subsonic filters, dont damage your ears without knowing it. From what you have said, it sounds like your in a first year high school physics class....right? How you liking it? I think its great to understand all the stuff we do in our cars.



    I'm back to stock in my new car.....

  14. #14
    Biohazard's Avatar
    Biohazard is offline I AM

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by evo2k3
    you dont hear it but it can still cause damage--I am pretty sure thats the concept behind subsonic filters, dont damage your ears without knowing it. From what you have said, it sounds like your in a first year high school physics class....right? How you liking it? I think its great to understand all the stuff we do in our cars.
    Oh right i knew thats what the filter was...sorta forgot..hehe yup 1st year...no fun at all..i am a chem major...not phyiscs, but i need to take the hardest 1st year physics and math courses..i dunno why..its sorta irrelavent...but hey its teachen me something




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum