Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Hertz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hertz?

What does the frequency and hertz have to do with the sound of a speaker? Is that just how low it will get when playin the beats? And gains are just the power into the speakers??

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    off the subject, but are u from Vancouver, BC or WA?

Audio N00B is offline ...And Justice For All

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A speaker reproduces frequencies from an electrical signal.

Derp.

evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Audio N00B
    yes--but since he doesn't understand frequency, he probably wont get that either......hertz is a messure of frequency (times per second). The frequecy that the current is alternating at makes the cone go in and out that many times per second (a 30hz note makes the cone go in and out 30 times per second). If you really wanted to go into it, the current altenates at that rate and goes through what is basicly a solinoid cause the coil of wire (hence the term voice coil) to be attracted and repeled from the big old magnet sitting on the back of the sub hence moving the cone....that last part may be a little over your head, but that shold clear up your understanding of frequency.

I'm back to stock in my new car.....

Biohazard is offline I AM

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i get that......hertz is a measure of frequency right? so.....what produces the hertz? partially the box and partially the sub and amp? or...??

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by evo2k3
    yes--but since he doesn't understand frequency, he probably wont get that either......hertz is a messure of frequency (times per second). The frequecy that the current is alternating at makes the cone go in and out that many times per second (a 30hz note makes the cone go in and out 30 times per second). If you really wanted to go into it, the current altenates at that rate and goes through what is basicly a solinoid cause the coil of wire (hence the term voice coil) to be attracted and repeled from the big old magnet sitting on the back of the sub hence moving the cone....that last part may be a little over your head, but that shold clear up your understanding of frequency.
    actually no i get it.....i am studyin physics right now hehe...thanks to this i am a step ahead of most!
    So the higher the frequency the higher pitched it can get? where as the lower the freuqency the lower the pitch?(pitch of sound i mean)

VANCOUVER CANADA (BC) i have a canadain flag as an avitar..

Audio N00B is offline ...And Justice For All

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, you got it. Frequency is measured in hertz. The human ear can only hear 20-20,000hz (which I'm sure you already knew).
    The lower the frequency, the lower the pitch.
    The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.

Derp.

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Biohazard
    VANCOUVER CANADA (BC) i have a canadain flag as an avitar..
    OT: What part of Vancouver? Surrey? Prince George? Maple Ridge? Downtown east side ? Etc

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ss3079
    OT: What part of Vancouver? Surrey? Prince George? Maple Ridge? Downtown east side ? Etc

- Steve
    Coquitlam....just outside burnaby and surrey......its kinda like the west van of the suburbs......i fu know what i mean.....Prince George?????thats like wow far away....like sayin isn't Toronto near Boston? or Edmonton near the us?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, you got it. Frequency is measured in hertz. The human ear can only hear 20-20,000hz (which I'm sure you already knew).
    The lower the frequency, the lower the pitch.
    The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.
    actually no...i thought it was a bit different....but in that range....so if you tune the subs to low then they could just blow?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coquitlam....just outside burnaby and surrey......its kinda like the west van of the suburbs......i fu know what i mean.....Prince George?????thats like wow far away....like sayin isn't Toronto near Boston? or Edmonton near the us?
    I mentioned Prince George in case you lived closer to it(within Vancouver limits)...then it would have been respectable

But yeah, I know where Coquitlam is.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

fantomas is offline show her the oh face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    actually no...i thought it was a bit different....but in that range....so if you tune the subs to low then they could just blow?
    20 hz - 20khz is average. as you get older you hear less of the extremes (maybe 25 hz - 15 khz)

i dont think you would blow a sub but i certainly wouldnt try it....it could play it but you wouldnt be able to hear it.

when in doubt, check the ground.

evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you dont hear it but it can still cause damage--I am pretty sure thats the concept behind subsonic filters, dont damage your ears without knowing it. From what you have said, it sounds like your in a first year high school physics class....right? How you liking it? I think its great to understand all the stuff we do in our cars.

I'm back to stock in my new car.....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by evo2k3
    you dont hear it but it can still cause damage--I am pretty sure thats the concept behind subsonic filters, dont damage your ears without knowing it. From what you have said, it sounds like your in a first year high school physics class....right? How you liking it? I think its great to understand all the stuff we do in our cars.
    Oh right i knew thats what the filter was...sorta forgot..hehe yup 1st year...no fun at all..i am a chem major...not phyiscs, but i need to take the hardest 1st year physics and math courses..i dunno why..its sorta irrelavent...but hey its teachen me something

Closed Thread