Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Are the alpine Type R speakers any good?

Acid is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Are the alpine Type R speakers any good?

I just bot this Alpine SPR-176A 6-1/2in Type-R 2-Way Component Speakers. When I compared it to my pals kenwood comp speakers.he's had a wider frequency range(Mine40-30,000 Hz vs he's 30-70,000 Hz)

and higher sensitivity (92db vs mine at 86db). Does that mean that he has got a better deal or better speakers.

What are any ones honest views on the type R's that I got. I thank you for your honesty!!
    Reason why I am asking is that I am able to change the type R's for a better recommendation if anyone has a better suggestion.

ryguy1607 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the type R from what I hear is a good sub, i used to own a pair of kenwood tornados (blue pair) they would not even come close to what the type R sub would do. They have better quallity. A lot of kenwoods ratings are lowerer than what they say, unless its a kenwood excelion*
    Hope this helped

xjmadness is offline The beauty of green

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Are the alpine Type R speakers any good?

Originally posted by Acid
    I just bot this Alpine SPR-176A 6-1/2in Type-R 2-Way Component Speakers. When I compared it to my pals kenwood comp speakers.he's had a wider frequency range(Mine40-30,000 Hz vs he's 30-70,000 Hz)

and higher sensitivity (92db vs mine at 86db). Does that mean that he has got a better deal or better speakers.

What are any ones honest views on the type R's that I got. I thank you for your honesty!!
    Reason why I am asking is that I am able to change the type R's for a better recommendation if anyone has a better suggestion.
    Well, anything above 15000-20000Hz a human ear cannot hear, so don't worry about that. For sensitivity, if im not mistaken that means it can get louder more easily?
    Type R's are a good beginner subwoofer. Also look into these:

eD K series: www.edesignaudio.com
    Adire Shiva: www.adireaudio.com

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys, he's talking about his Type R speakers...not subs...

The Type R speakers from Alpine may either sound great, or ******, depending on who you are. For instance, Mike loves them, and Jmac hates them...it's basically personal preference, what you like to hear from your music. Anyway, the build quality is pretty good, you wont be blowing any surrounds any time soon. The tweeters and crossovers are well built - and the tweeters will not make your ears bleed, in other words, are not too high pitched.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

joshpoints is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Alpine vs. Kenwood

The alpine components system you have may not go as low 40hz compared to 30hz, but your subs are supossed to reproduce these sounds, not your components. Like the other guy said the human ear can only hear up to 20,000hz. Your sensitivity rating is lower, but your rms and peak power are probably rated higher. This 92db rating just means that his speaker will play louder per watt than yours, but because his rms and peak ratings are lower than yours, your will probably play cleaner and louder, without distorting when you turn it up way high. If you plan on running the component system off your headunit instead of an amp, then the Kenwoods will probably sound better, because of their sensitivity rating. Okay boys and girls here's a little tech secret. A speaker that is rated 3db higher than another will require half as much power to produce the same output volume. In my opinion with an amp hooked up to the alpines they will blow the kenwood away. Without an amp they're probably pretty close, but the kenwood might sound a little better, with the lack of wattage from a head unit. Hope this helps.

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my experience with type-r components: sweet midbass but the tweeters are incredibly harsh...

MaXiMa is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ya my friends are to harsh for me. we cant even cruise with the music loud cause it hurts

Mercureie is offline Stay in S-C-H-O-O-L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i own the type-r 6.5's and had heard about thier harsh tweeters but they were all i could get at the time so i went with em figurein id beable to lessen the sharpness of them later. after installing them, with the midbass in the door and the tweeter in the A pillar i was surprised at how relativly soft they were compared to what they were made out to be. now this isn't saying that they were the warmest tweeters ive ever heard but with a few headunit eq adjustments they were well inside tolerable. just to ad the midbass of these comps is surprisingly good and imo makes up for the harshness of the tweeter.

Acid is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mercureie and Maxima,

Thanks for the advice. But what would be a suitable replacements that still had the sweet midbass and more tolerable Hi? any suggestions in the same range?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anything from Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Eclipse, Diamond, Rainbow, Morel, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate...etc. Listen to some of those at Circuit City or whatever chain you have, just to get an idea before you purchase something.

- Steve

EDIT ~ Cant forget about Focal, JL, Kenwood eXcelon, MTX, Orion, and Polk.

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Closed Thread

User Tag List