Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Calling anyone that has experience with either Polk SR series or Boston G5 subs

Monologuist is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calling anyone that has experience with either Polk SR series or Boston G5 subs

I had narrowed down my sub selection to a TC-1000 12", Soundsplinter RL-P12, or something along those lines. However I seem to have missed the most obvious choice for my system a Polk SR-124 or 104 (I have SR-6500 components up front). Also forgot about the Boston G512. Most people seem to overlook these two b/c they are from mainstream companies and list for a bit higher than the aforementioned. But I have the opportunity to pick up either the Polk or the Boston for around the same price as a TC or SS. (Plus I've already started sour on TC as they have been very slow to answer any of my questions)

So I'd love to hear any feedback from people that have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with either sub, and how they compare to the competition. The Polk sub looks great on paper, in fact, I'm actually afraid it might be too much sub for my system, since I have a hatchback....most suggestions up til now were in the 4-500W range. The Polk is more like 700+. I'm also wondering if there would be any real world integrity retained by sticking with the same line for my frontstage and sub, or is it more psychological?! You'd like to think Polk designed the SR sub to mate perfectly with a SR-6500 system...but who knows? Would also like to hear what optimal amplification would be.

Once again, true reference quality SQ, strong subsonic frequency extension, neutrality and linearity, and enough quickness to handle fast-transient electronic bass and bass drum sounds are my priorities...SPL's will stay below 120db, more often between 95-105db, realistically....I need something that will be strong enough to handle the subsonic stuff but not so stiff that it isnt' responsive at medium-ish SPL's...

teamquakecelica is offline Vanilla Gorilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Calling anyone that has experience with either Polk SR series or Boston G5 subs

Anyone?.. I'm interested also!

2001 DB drag world finals S3-4
    155.xx it was pretty loud for back in the day!

Originally Posted by big@b
    Because Kicker kx's are rated a rms. rms and watts are not the same. So kicker kx2500.1 is x 2 = 5000.

HCCA is offline Slayer of Libs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Calling anyone that has experience with either Polk SR series or Boston G5 subs

Skip the Boston G5's, and instead, get the G2's. Better low frequecy extension. The G5's are more for SPL. The G2's will handle 300W cont, have good detail, and tonality. Cheaper, too.
    Once again, true reference quality SQ, strong subsonic frequency extension, neutrality and linearity, and enough quickness to handle fast-transient electronic bass and bass drum sounds are my priorities...SPL's will stay below 120db, more often between 95-105db, realistically....I need something that will be strong enough to handle the subsonic stuff but not so stiff that it isnt' responsive at medium-ish SPL's...
    The Bostons excell in this area.

Closed Thread