Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: tc top Assemblies?

  1. #1
    cotjones V2's Avatar
    cotjones V2 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    tc top Assemblies?

    ok i have been thinking about trying to build my own hybrid sub for a while mow and dont know much about it other than you can buy a top assembly from tcsounds that has everything you need except for the motor. is this true and can i just buy a 12 in. top assemblies and a motor and put it together?







  2. #2
    02parkave's Avatar
    02parkave is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    not even close to that simple, man... you need to know what size coil the motor is, etc... my suggestions- find a motor that you want, and contact one of the companies (fi, tcsounds, etc) and see if they will recone it, unless you really want to get in depth...




  3. #3
    guting's Avatar
    guting is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    (808) 94 Block
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    um cotjones? LMAO!



    '93 ES300
    Alpine CDA-7893
    JBL 1200.1
    15" 3 horsepower
    big 5
    160 amp alt
    4cu @ 30hz

  4. #4
    cotjones V2's Avatar
    cotjones V2 is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    V2




  5. #5
    Corey69's Avatar
    Corey69 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Its a little more complicated than just coil size.



    Alpine INA-900
    Zapco DC650.6
    Dynaudio Esotec System 362
    Stetsom 7kd
    15" RE MT

  6. #6
    bass_lover1's Avatar
    bass_lover1 is offline Metal Head \m/ \m/



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NPR, FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    It isn't that easy.

    You have to make sure that the basket can properly mount to the motor, that the voice coil is the proper width, and winding height is very similar, and that there aren't too many layers on the coil so that it will even fit in the gap in the first place, the former can't be too long so it bottoms out easily.

    Franken woofers are common, but if you notice you usually see the same ones over and over, it's because they are known to work, otherwise you're really taking a shot in the dark, it might or might not work.



    - Alpine CDA-9887 - AudioControl DQS - Linear Power 652I - B&G Neo3 - Clarion DPX 2251 - Vifa XT18 - Clarion DPX 1851 - Alpine SWX-1243D -

  7. #7
    02parkave's Avatar
    02parkave is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post
    It isn't that easy.

    You have to make sure that the basket can properly mount to the motor, that the voice coil is the proper width, and winding height is very similar, and that there aren't too many layers on the coil so that it will even fit in the gap in the first place, the former can't be too long so it bottoms out easily.

    Franken woofers are common, but if you notice you usually see the same ones over and over, it's because they are known to work, otherwise you're really taking a shot in the dark, it might or might not work.
    Yep- pretty much.. although i didnt want to get to technical, as its obvious by the type of question- the op doesnt know enough to understand this stuff... and i dont really know why hybrid or frankenwoofer, or whatever the hell they are being called now are so popular... its generally not that grand an idea... 9 outta10 times the original is an all around better sub...




  8. #8
    bass_lover1's Avatar
    bass_lover1 is offline Metal Head \m/ \m/



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NPR, FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 02parkave View Post
    Yep- pretty much.. although i didnt want to get to technical, as its obvious by the type of question- the op doesnt know enough to understand this stuff... and i dont really know why hybrid or frankenwoofer, or whatever the hell they are being called now are so popular... its generally not that grand an idea... 9 outta10 times the original is an all around better sub...

    I know one of the more common ones a few years ago was the TC9 motor that was used by the eD A series, there's obvious reasons why that one arose, supposedly it worked pretty well, I actually wish I would have done that instead of selling my 15A, oh well though.



    - Alpine CDA-9887 - AudioControl DQS - Linear Power 652I - B&G Neo3 - Clarion DPX 2251 - Vifa XT18 - Clarion DPX 1851 - Alpine SWX-1243D -

  9. #9
    02parkave's Avatar
    02parkave is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    TC9 has been used on ALOT of woofers. its a very stout little motor!




  10. #10
    sqhertz's Avatar
    sqhertz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Miami ,Fl
    Posts
    5,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    are all tc-9 motors the same?





    - Ref.s -
    ssbogger , derek9087 , mike dressure , xluben , brocken , QtrHorse , marley1 , byoon001 , IonSQL , Duke , TheBaron929 , SiX , Andar , blackbonnie , SPLV , dbaudio , dillinja666 , 97cavy , dropkick13 , TeamPSI , foreman , integra88 , bangincaraudio , spinelli , gkatmar , MustangGT25YRS , stockgp , FASTIMES , ultimate157 , Reson8 , vitveet , req


  11. #11
    Chevyaudio's Avatar
    Chevyaudio is offline :poof:



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Back in the Dirty BR, Louisiana
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Whats up with all the n00bs wanting to make hybrids.

    I guess they think they are engineers, like the guys that design theses drivers.

    Believe it or not, The guys at Fi, TC Sounds, Incriminator, SJA, and other various OEM's Dont just sit in a dark room and throw parts at motors. They actually engineer and design drivers to work properly.




  12. #12
    CJW's Avatar
    CJW
    CJW is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    I've had a few customs but they were fairly regular. a tc9, tc3hp, and now a sexxx with Fi parts(not really that custom being that scott designed it and all but still)

    I don't really go looking for ways to make a sub from any motor though.

    And no not all tc9s are the same. Some had a tighter gap, new ones have holes in the sides of the top plate for the top, and I believe SS had an extra slug in their tc9 motors.



    stuff and such

  13. #13
    02parkave's Avatar
    02parkave is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyaudio View Post
    Whats up with all the n00bs wanting to make hybrids.

    I guess they think they are engineers, like the guys that design theses drivers.

    Believe it or not, The guys at Fi, TC Sounds, Incriminator, SJA, and other various OEM's Dont just sit in a dark room and throw parts at motors. They actually engineer and design drivers to work properly.
    NUH-UH hybrids are the BESTEST *end noob talk*




  14. #14
    PatFitz9's Avatar
    PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,822
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    you can buy a TC woofer and take it apart and put it back together, that would feel like you made it.




    refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

  15. #15
    02parkave's Avatar
    02parkave is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: tc top Assemblies?

    Quote Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
    you can buy a TC woofer and take it apart and put it back together, that would feel like you made it.
    now some noob is gunna cut apart their tc9 and wonder why it wont go back together




Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum