Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Port types and tuning for sub box

dcyphure is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Port types and tuning for sub box

plan to build a vented box for a couple of JLAudio subs, its currently in a qlogic bandpass box but its not as loud as i think it should be, i removed the sides which makes it as if in a common sealed box but still not all that, i'm thinkin its cause of sealed chamber size with both subs, polyfill didnt help, so maybe individual chamber vented box would be best.

i noticed alot of newer prefabs and sub makers recommendation plans for ported boxes are L shaped slot vents.
    i wanted to know if these are better at reducing port noise as flared round ports or worse.

Jlaudio recommends my ports be tuned to 28hz. i listen to rock music so that doesnt sound like a good frequencey for it is it?
    i'm thinkn more like 45 or 50hz, any thoughts or a reason i should make it as low as they recommend?

does it matter which side of box vents are placed?

Orion Man is offline Livin' Loud!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Port types and tuning for sub box

2003 Nissan Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    -Alpine--Focal--Massive Audio--Stinger--Kinetik--Second Skin-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Man View Post
    thanks for the ad campaign but i'll just do it myself, i dont need anything fancy

BJ The Man is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

28Hz would be right. For rock music I would think you're looking for SQ and 28Hz is good for that. When you tune higher your sub will sound worse on lower frequencies under that tuning frequency.

I don't really know any different between slot or round ported enclosures, but heres a link to the RE Enclosure calculator so you can get what you want for an L-ported box....http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Also, it doesn't matter what side the vent is on.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BJ The Man View Post
    28Hz would be right. For rock music I would think you're looking for SQ and 28Hz is good for that. When you tune higher your sub will sound worse on lower frequencies under that tuning frequency.
    thanks BJ, but i didnt think rock music went very low in frequency, i noticed when i cut my low pass at 40hz, theres not much to be heard, but then again i know nothing of ported boxes, i just know i'm not caring too much of sealed and with the bandpass i'm afraid i'm goin to damage the subs since its a prefab

Closed Thread