Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about dvc subs and bridging my amp...

kevreh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about dvc subs and bridging my amp...

Now that I finally picked up my dual voice channel sub (10w3) I'm totally confused. Before I bought the sub I was clear on the notion of bridging two of the channels on my amp (its 4 x 65w at 4ohms) and how the 2 channels would double in power (so they go from 2x65w at 4ohm to 1 channel @260w at 4ohm). I figured the 260w (or probably less than that depending on the amp efficiancy) would be a good fit for the 10w3.

But now that I have the sub I'm learning how if you wire it in parall the sub goes down to 2 ohms or if you wire in series it goes up to 8 ohms. How does this relate to the amp? If the sub "goes down" to 2 ohms how many watts will the sub see? Is this stable/ok?

thanks....
    kevin

Savant is offline Duke of DOH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about dvc subs and bridging my amp...

Originally posted by kevreh
    Now that I finally picked up my dual voice channel sub (10w3) I'm totally confused. Before I bought the sub I was clear on the notion of bridging two of the channels on my amp (its 4 x 65w at 4ohms) and how the 2 channels would double in power (so they go from 2x65w at 4ohm to 1 channel @260w at 4ohm). I figured the 260w (or probably less than that depending on the amp efficiancy) would be a good fit for the 10w3.

But now that I have the sub I'm learning how if you wire it in parall the sub goes down to 2 ohms or if you wire in series it goes up to 8 ohms. How does this relate to the amp? If the sub "goes down" to 2 ohms how many watts will the sub see? Is this stable/ok?

thanks....
    kevin
    This won't be much help.. but.. depends on the amp for 2 ohm stability.. Most times an amp won't run bridged at 2 ohm.. If you have dual 4 ohm coils, you pretty much end up with 2 ohm or 8 ohm.. at 8 ohm you have 1/2 the power you thought you had at 4 ohm (roughly).. just like going from X at 4 to 2 ohm tends to give 2X..

That said, you could bridge each coil.. that is, you have 4 channels, right? you can do 2 bridges (to 4 ohm each).. a pair of channels for each.. Now, the tricky bit.. you have to have the exact same signal to each VC or you will blow them.. But, if you have the exact same signal going to all 4 inputs on the amp, you can run a bridged channel to each VC (at 4 ohm).. At least, others have.. or so it seems..

Knowing the amp type/model will probably get you more help.. That's all I can offer from what little I know..

(1) Alpine CDA 7892 HU ($214)
    (2) 12" Pioneer Premier 1241DVCs in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($69 each)
    ->removing.. ->(2) 10" Pioneer Premier 1041DVC's in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($59 each)
    (2) Lanzar Vibe248 1200 watt 2 chnl amps ($119 each)

It's bump'n GOOD!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make a moron understand...

kevreh is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Question about dvc subs and bridging my amp...

Originally posted by Savant
    This won't be much help.. but.. depends on the amp for 2 ohm stability.. Most times an amp won't run bridged at 2 ohm.. If you have dual 4 ohm coils, you pretty much end up with 2 ohm or 8 ohm.. at 8 ohm you have 1/2 the power you thought you had at 4 ohm (roughly).. just like going from X at 4 to 2 ohm tends to give 2X..

That said, you could bridge each coil.. that is, you have 4 channels, right? you can do 2 bridges (to 4 ohm each).. a pair of channels for each.. Now, the tricky bit.. you have to have the exact same signal to each VC or you will blow them.. But, if you have the exact same signal going to all 4 inputs on the amp, you can run a bridged channel to each VC (at 4 ohm).. At least, others have.. or so it seems..

Knowing the amp type/model will probably get you more help.. That's all I can offer from what little I know..
    So..... if you have a dvc sub rated at 4ohms you can't wire it to get 4ohm's?? That seems backwards. Wish Meyer Emco would have told me that when I bought it!

packerfan is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Question about dvc subs and bridging my amp...

Originally posted by kevreh
    So..... if you have a dvc sub rated at 4ohms you can't wire it to get 4ohm's?? That seems backwards. Wish Meyer Emco would have told me that when I bought it!

No you can wire a dvc 4ohm to 4 ohms last time i checked

Eclipse CD7000
    MTX TA7804
    Eclipse SC8365
    MTX TA92001
    9 Elemental Designs 13Ov.2's (15.5 cu ft ported box)
    O/1g All around, 2 Yellow tops, big 3.

SuckMikeHawk23 is offline #1 Laker Hater

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    u can wire it 4 ohms to each coil... but most people either go 2 or 8 i believe

Team Caraudio.com
    2000 Honda Civic Coupe:
    Alpine CDA-7892
    MTX81000D
    US Acoustics USX4085
    Crystal Mobilesound CPE60S
    Crystal Mobilesound CSC60S
    2 E12KD2's
    4.7 cubic foot ported box

AIM: TeamVicious23 and FishermanSteve23

Closed Thread