Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Reload Thread: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

  1. #1
    billo405's Avatar
    billo405 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ri
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    I know this is a noob q but pease laugh and then answer the q.
    I have 2 kicker free air 8's 29-1khz 150 watts RMS 4 ohms that I would like to put in a box. I am not sure if this will sound good or not. Now I know the subs are cheap but they are what I have at this time so I am going to try to use them until I get sick of them.
    th aks







  2. #2
    k12ug's Avatar
    k12ug is offline MASTER MASTER



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by billo405 View Post
    I know this is a noob q but pease laugh and then answer the q.
    I have 2 kicker free air 8's 29-1khz 150 watts RMS 4 ohms that I would like to put in a box. I am not sure if this will sound good or not. Now I know the subs are cheap but they are what I have at this time so I am going to try to use them until I get sick of them.
    th aks

    you have to buy special glue



    I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

  3. #3
    MATT2007's Avatar
    MATT2007 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maquoketa IA
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    yes you can put them in a box from my expercence they will sound better in a box




  4. #4
    htownplaya456's Avatar
    htownplaya456 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    the only way you can do that is... run a positive and negative wire from the battery to the speaker terminals on the amp and what that does it changes the resistance in the current going to the amp and it makes the sub think its not a free air sub then as the previous poster said you have to use a special glue when putting it in the box... after that you will be good to go and with those subs probly hitting very hard!! good luck with all that buddy. gimme a holla if you need any help with it i can help you as much as possible on here.







    Current setup:
    stock, I don't want anything in my car.

    Traded With: Biker911
    Refs: rtillaree, viveet, Corey J., mazdakid, vrpokerman1, MisterGrubbs

  5. #5
    k12ug's Avatar
    k12ug is offline MASTER MASTER



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    the only way you can do that is... run a positive and negative wire from the battery to the speaker terminals on the amp and what that does it changes the resistance in the current going to the amp and it makes the sub think its not a free air sub then as the previous poster said you have to use a special glue when putting it in the box... after that you will be good to go and with those subs probly hitting very hard!! good luck with all that buddy. gimme a holla if you need any help with it i can help you as much as possible on here.

    i really! REALLY hope your joking!

    hahahahaha

    plain and simple yes....there is no such thing as a free air sub....there all the same...put it into a box that made for that speaker and it will sound good.



    I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

  6. #6
    cotjones's Avatar
    cotjones is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    the only way you can do that is... run a positive and negative wire from the battery to the speaker terminals on the amp and what that does it changes the resistance in the current going to the amp and it makes the sub think its not a free air sub then as the previous poster said you have to use a special glue when putting it in the box... after that you will be good to go and with those subs probly hitting very hard!! good luck with all that buddy. gimme a holla if you need any help with it i can help you as much as possible on here.
    lol whatever you do, don't do this!




  7. #7
    htownplaya456's Avatar
    htownplaya456 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by k12ug View Post
    i really! REALLY hope your joking!

    hahahahaha

    plain and simple yes....there is no such thing as a free air sub....there all the same...put it into a box that made for that speaker and it will sound good.

    why would i be joking dude?? i know what im talking about i went to stereo school and am MECP certified. AND im an installer at a shop. you sound like you don't know what your talking about. are you MECP certified???







    Current setup:
    stock, I don't want anything in my car.

    Traded With: Biker911
    Refs: rtillaree, viveet, Corey J., mazdakid, vrpokerman1, MisterGrubbs

  8. #8
    bk12321's Avatar
    bk12321 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    3,432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    funny people



    References


    '02 Nissan Maxima
    Eclipse CD5000
    Directed D2400@1
    2xSWR-1242D


    Drpdmazda (aka Jason) = SCAMMER



  9. #9
    cotjones's Avatar
    cotjones is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by k12ug View Post
    i really! REALLY hope your joking!

    hahahahaha

    plain and simple yes....there is no such thing as a free air sub....there all the same...put it into a box that made for that speaker and it will sound good.
    there are lots of free air subs... they are designed to be in a IB setup not an enclousure... but you shoudln't have a problem putting them in a box




  10. #10
    bdavies11's Avatar
    bdavies11 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    29
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    the only way you can do that is... run a positive and negative wire from the battery to the speaker terminals on the amp and what that does it changes the resistance in the current going to the amp and it makes the sub think its not a free air sub then as the previous poster said you have to use a special glue when putting it in the box... after that you will be good to go and with those subs probly hitting very hard!! good luck with all that buddy. gimme a holla if you need any help with it i can help you as much as possible on here.
    double you tee eff?



    2000 Camaro

    Head Unit: Premier DEH-P780MP
    Frontstage: 6-1/2" Pioneer Rev Comps
    Front amp: Profile AP1040
    Subs: 1 12" Shiva-x 3 cubes sealed
    Sub Amp: Kenwood KAC-9152D

  11. #11
    htownplaya456's Avatar
    htownplaya456 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    well yall are crazy to not beleive me and im not trying to be funny but believe me buddy im MECP certified professional.







    Current setup:
    stock, I don't want anything in my car.

    Traded With: Biker911
    Refs: rtillaree, viveet, Corey J., mazdakid, vrpokerman1, MisterGrubbs

  12. #12
    cotjones's Avatar
    cotjones is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    well yall are crazy to not beleive me and im not trying to be funny but believe me buddy im MECP certified professional.
    i'm not saying i know it's wrong cause i've never done it, but then again i've never had the desire to blow up an amp




  13. #13
    htownplaya456's Avatar
    htownplaya456 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    well mister jl audio *** dumpster sounds like you don't know what your doing then do you? are you in distress from all the money you've spent on all your jhell audio ****??







    Current setup:
    stock, I don't want anything in my car.

    Traded With: Biker911
    Refs: rtillaree, viveet, Corey J., mazdakid, vrpokerman1, MisterGrubbs

  14. #14
    cotjones's Avatar
    cotjones is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    well mister jl audio *** dumpster sounds like you don't know what your doing then do you? are you in distress from all the money you've spent on all your jhell audio ****??
    horrible distress i think about it day and night... just like this statement is stuff like this allowed or smart?




  15. #15
    93 saturn sl2's Avatar
    93 saturn sl2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can you put a free air sub in a box?

    Quote Originally Posted by htownplaya456 View Post
    well yall are crazy to not beleive me and im not trying to be funny but believe me buddy im MECP certified professional.
    ***



    02 Mustang GT
    06 Mazdaspeed6
    95 Saturn SL2 turbo sh1t getter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum