Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bass sounds like crap right now- help

im running JL Audio 500.1 and 2 12w3v2 subs
    just put it in last week and i havent had alot of time to mess with the settings, gains, slight port adjustments etc.
    Honda Preludes are a bitc* when it comes to rattles. ive dynamatted everything and im still getting alot of rattles.
    anyways, it sounds like crap right now and i need some help on why

ports are tuned to 33 hz and im using an external active xover set at 90 hz (18peroctave)
    im using 4 inch ports on the same side as the subs in 4 cubes of volume total for both subs
    subs are facing back and the box is big but there is at least a foot between the subs and the trunk lid (i took the speakers in the back out to allow air to move into the car)
    heres why i think why it may sound like crap, please let me know what you think

-ports are too small and maybe tuned too high
    -parcel tray doesnt allow enough sound to pass through into the car
    -too much of the cars interior is rattling (what is a good way of stopping the actual plastic in the car from rattling??)
    -trunk not big enough for sound to develop???
    -crossover set too high (am i better off using the built in xover on the jl amp?- what is a good xover point and bass boost frequency for rap?)

i dont know the sound just doesnt sound clean, even when i open the trunk and nothing is rattling.
    i appreciate any help or input

willis72 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry one more thing
    can a port be too big for a speaker? (is 6 inthes in diameter too big for a 12w3v2?)
    and also, the port i used was only 5 inches long and i had to extend it with a slightly wider piece of pvc, is this a problem or it will be ok if i sand the inside edge smooth? the original port is 3.9 inches in dia and the pvc is 4 inches. which diameter to do i use to calculate tuning freq?

Closed Thread

User Tag List