Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Looking for opinions on a subwoofer with tight bass and high sound quality

Souljah8574 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Looking for opinions on a subwoofer with tight bass and high sound quality

I'm new to this site and my first question is... what sub can I buy that has tight bass and high sound quality? I have a JL Audio 10W6v2 in a sealed enclosure built to the specs on the JL Audio site but when I tested it on my friends amp just to hear how it would sound, I didn't get the response that I wanted. I know it could be the amp but can more power really improve the sound quality? Any suggestions on how I can make it sound better or any other options for a sub that I can get the sound I'm looking for?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

savagebee is offline sociomagicologistics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking for opinions on a subwoofer with tight bass and high sound quality

what amp?

what enclosure?

specifics are needed to help you

DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7954.pdf

You could try a new amp on it and make sure you are giving it the full 400-500 watts rms. If you have an suv or a car point the sub and box towards the tailights and see how it sounds. A sealed 10 will not really have much output unless you are in a small car with a hatchback. You could try porting it, throw a 3 inch aeroport in the box or 3 inch pvc pipe around 17-18 inches long and see how it sounds.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The specs on the box were the ones from the JL site for the sealed enclosure which was:

14.25" (width) x 12" (height) x 10.25" (depth)

In my opinion this box seems pretty small just by looking at it. The amp I tested it out on was a JVC KS-AX5700. I know I'm going to get ridiculed about that amp but it was just a test. And everytime the bass hits, the blue LED light on the amp cuts out for a second. I plan on using a JL Audio 250/1. Should I just save more money and purchase the 500/1? Because eventually I plan on selling my W6 and purchasing a 8" W7 for tighter bass. BTW, my car is a 97 Honda Accord Sedan. So I place the sub facing towards the tail lights not the back seat?

Thanks.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Souljah8574 View Post
    The specs on the box were the ones from the JL site for the sealed enclosure which was:

14.25" (width) x 12" (height) x 10.25" (depth)

In my opinion this box seems pretty small just by looking at it. The amp I tested it out on was a JVC KS-AX5700. I know I'm going to get ridiculed about that amp but it was just a test. And everytime the bass hits, the blue LED light on the amp cuts out for a second. I plan on using a JL Audio 250/1. Should I just save more money and purchase the 500/1? Because eventually I plan on selling my W6 and purchasing a 8" W7 for tighter bass. BTW, my car is a 97 Honda Accord Sedan. So I place the sub facing towards the tail lights not the back seat?

Thanks.
    Just becuase the sub is smaller doesnt' mean you'll get a tighter sound. If you want a tight sound, put the sub in a small box, even a 18 will sound tight if you put it into a box that is small for it. If the amp was going into protect, it probably wasn't the greatest test. You'll want at least a 500/1 to power the W6. However, if you get a non-JL amp you can get alot more power for your money.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What other amp would you recommend T3mpest?

Closed Thread