Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Audiobahns 1200Q HOW GOOD ARE THEY

venom107 is offline The Graveyard Shift

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Audiobahns 1200Q HOW GOOD ARE THEY

Well as some of you guys know im probably going to sell my Type R's and get some Audiobahns the 1200Q's to be exact and I wanted to know everybodys opinion on the subs. Im going to run them off of a Profile800sx is this enough power? I also was going to put them in the same custom ported box as my Type R's Im not sure if thats a good idea or not. I know the magnet space wont be a problem but im not sure if this will work any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1996 Toyota Camry LE Gold Edition (customized)
    HU- Alpine CDA-9805
    Front-6 1/2 Alpine SPR-17LP
    Rear-6 1/2 Alpine SPR-17LP
    Subs- Audiobahn AW1200Q
    Amps- mids and highs 4 channel alpine 25rms X 4.
    Amps-Sub U.S Acoustics USX800D
    Custom Slot Ported Box
    Tuned to 30 Hz

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would check out the RE SE's first... www.respl.com , I know they're a little more expensive, but I think you'll be happier in the end.

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard

I heard that RE's are mainly SQ subs which I dont want and I wanna go a little cheaper than my Type R's. Thanks though they look like awesome subs.

HU- Alpine CDA-9805
    Subs- Audiobahn AW1200Q
    Custom Slot Ported Box
    Tuned to 30 Hz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    RE...SQ...???

I heard they are more SPL...

anyways, you should ask about Adire Audio Shivas, i've never heard them before but i'm assuming they may hold up with those bahns in SPL but i know for sure they would knock their socks of when it comes to SQ....and they're somehting like $100 each

2000 Dodge Neon

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD

This sounds too good to be true these Shivas are $125 bucks a sub and yet they are one of the best SQ and SPL subs and can even hang with Audiobahn. Hard to belive I need proof ANYONE's opinion on Adire Audio would help.

HU- Alpine CDA-9805
    Subs- Audiobahn AW1200Q
    Custom Slot Ported Box
    Tuned to 30 Hz

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD

Originally posted by venom107
    This sounds too good to be true these Shivas are $125 bucks a sub and yet they are one of the best SQ and SPL subs and can even hang with Audiobahn. Hard to belive I need proof ANYONE's opinion on Adire Audio would help.
    Time for jlaine to step in about now...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where They At?

Come on I know you guys know about Shivas and Audiobahns.

HU- Alpine CDA-9805
    Subs- Audiobahn AW1200Q
    Custom Slot Ported Box
    Tuned to 30 Hz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Where They At?

Sure, i know some stuff, but a fella who goes by the name Jlaine can really explain it to you and make great sense of it...so I'll leave it to him or another willing person :p

2000 Dodge Neon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Where They At?

I only know a teensy weeny bit about oldschool rockfords...my signature says it all...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you'll be surprised at what the shivas can do.

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    shiva is nowhere near the 1200Q in SPL.....i don't care if the virgin mary herself came down and built your box for you, it wouldn't touch a properly installed 1200Q in SPL. however, if you like SQ, the shiva is the champion in that department. I don't know why people keep comparing these subs to each other....it's really not a good comparison at all. The way I see it, the shiva is a great sub for the price because it puts out decent SPL while maintaining a good bit of SQ, but it doesn't do either exceedingly well. The 'bahn is all out SPL, and probably about the loudest sub you'll find for $100-$150.....but you have to sacrifice a lot of SQ because of the heavy surround and cone.

If your old box is 2.5-5 cubic feet per sub, you're okay. If not, you're gonna need to get a new one to run the 'bahns. As far as power goes, they need at least 300w each to sound good, but will handle 1000+w of clean power each in a ported box.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by LoneRanger
    shiva is nowhere near the 1200Q in SPL.....i don't care if the virgin mary herself came down and built your box for you, it wouldn't touch a properly installed 1200Q in SPL. however, if you like SQ, the shiva is the champion in that department. I don't know why people keep comparing these subs to each other....it's really not a good comparison at all. The way I see it, the shiva is a great sub for the price because it puts out decent SPL while maintaining a good bit of SQ, but it doesn't do either exceedingly well. The 'bahn is all out SPL, and probably about the loudest sub you'll find for $100-$150.....but you have to sacrifice a lot of SQ because of the heavy surround and cone.

If your old box is 2.5-5 cubic feet per sub, you're okay. If not, you're gonna need to get a new one to run the 'bahns. As far as power goes, they need at least 300w each to sound good, but will handle 1000+w of clean power each in a ported box.
    Of course, you've done a proper, detailed head-to-head comparison on this matter to be able to say this right...

Needless to say, audiobahn's lack of T/S parameters, their bogus sensitivity ratings, the lack of surface area on the cone of the driver, gives me plenty of weight to say that this comparsion is invalid, and any attempt to say one is louder than the other is false until proper parameters are available, or proper testing has been done on both.

Identical install, identical power, identical mic placement. Otherwise, the virgin mary herself wouldn't make me believe your comparison.

You do realize I can dial in up to almost 12dB's of gain with a shiva, and five cubes... riiiight? Sound like total butt? You bet! Gets you to where you want to go though!

Eventually, you'll catch onto the idea that there is no SPL in a subwoofer, only in applications. Frequency response with a standard install may not *sound* proper to you, but that means absolutely nothing in terms of output. Simply by sitting here and comparing drivers, I'll say the shiva will walk all over that audiobahn in low wattage classes due to it's higher cone area, the reality that audiobahn's Sd is lower, their moving mass is like a ton of bricks, and I know their effiency ratings are bogus. In fact, I'll go as far to say they likely rated it at 2.83V/1m, with the coils @ 2 ohm, which would give it not 1 watt of reference power, but 4 watts, giving it a bogus 6db of gain that does not belong there.

Talking SPL is cheap. You can stare at the specifics of a driver all day long and never get close because things are being taken outside of their linear envelope, into realms that software cannot help. Seeing as how you can't even stare at audiobahn's specs because there are none to have, I'd say this is pretty much a pointless conversation.
    Last edited by jlaine; 01-14-2003 at 12:10 PM.

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off, I have worked with both drivers, and can tell you from personal experience that the Audiobahn is a more capable SPL woofer. Hands down. It may have more cone area, but what the 'bahn lacks in cone area it more than makes up for in power handling. Ever try putting 1200w of constant power into a shiva in a large ported box for about five mintues......it's not pretty, nor does it smell good, let me assure you.

Written specs mean absolutely **** to me, on the Audiobahn or any other woofer. There's no way I can test most of that stuff with the equiptment I have available, so I pay absolutely no attention to them. Maybe you have the benefit of all the nice machinery to test XMAX and such, but I don't. I use CAD programs like WinISD to give me a general feel as to what is a good size box for the woofer and just keep building boxes and experimenting until I find one that mics the loudest....and I'm sure you know that most woofer companies fudge or misrepresent their specs in one way or another, otherwise you'd be able to plug the specs directly in to any CAD and get the perfect box every time. There is no true industry standard for obtaining these specs, so it's pretty much a free-for-all. I'm not defending this practice, just pointing out how common it is.

I honestly don't know as much about the physics of audio as you seem to, and never claim to. All I know is what I have seen and done with both woofers. I'd be more than willing to do an honest head-to-head SPL comparison with both woofers if you will supply me with a loaner (i'll pay shipping both ways) or sell me one for a discounted price. I'm sure as hell not going to pay $125 when I could have another 1200Q for the same price.

But I do understand where you're coming from.....If I were selling Adaire over the internet, I'd be on here saying the exact same things
    Last edited by LoneRanger; 01-14-2003 at 01:14 PM.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off, I have worked with both drivers, and can tell you from personal experience that the Audiobahn is a more capable SPL woofer. Hands down. It may have more cone area, but what the 'bahn lacks in cone area it more than makes up for in power handling. Ever try putting 1200w of constant power into a shiva in a large ported box for about five mintues......it's not pretty, nor does it smell good, let me assure you.
    Whoops!
    Problem one.
    SPL burps don't last 5 minutes.
    Problem two.
    Shiva doesn't need 1200W to approach the level of the audiobahn.

Written specs mean absolutely **** to me, on the Audiobahn or any other woofer. There's no way I can test most of that stuff with the equiptment I have available, so I pay absolutely no attention to them. Maybe you have the benefit of all the nice machinery to test XMAX and such, but I don't. I use CAD programs like WinISD to give me a general feel as to what is a good size box for the woofer and just keep building boxes and experimenting until I find one that mics the loudest....and I'm sure you know that most woofer companies fudge or misrepresent their specs in one way or another, otherwise you'd be able to plug the specs directly in to any CAD and get the perfect box every time. There is no true industry standard for obtaining these specs, so it's pretty much a free-for-all. I'm not defending this practice, just pointing out how common it is.
    That's the standard practice (minus the fudging comment), just manufacturering tolerances can be off by as much as 20%, that is to be expected though and you can work with it. This holds true for both drivers, so it's really moot- EXCEPT for the reality you have absolutely zero specs for the audiobahn driver at all. Big difference is we have real, independant, third-party proven DUMAX reports on the shiva. We KNOW what we are working with. CAD isn't at fault here. CAD assumes an anechoic chamber, you are slapping it inside a very small, fairly airtight cabin. Things CHANGE when you enter into that realm.

I honestly don't know as much about the physics of audio as you seem to, and never claim to. All I know is what I have seen and done with both woofers. I'd be more than willing to do an honest head-to-head SPL comparison with both woofers if you will supply me with a loaner (i'll pay shipping both ways) or sell me one for a discounted price. I'm sure as hell not going to pay $125 when I could have another 1200Q for the same price.

But I do understand where you're coming from.....If I were selling Adaire over the internet, I'd be on here saying the exact same things
    My selling adire has nothing to do with this at all. I don't market the shiva as an SPL woofer, I don't answer SPL questions - and I don't really care for SPL overall. What this is about is that without your proven identical installation, identical power, identical mic, this conversation is invalid and shouldn't even be considered. SPL, just like sound quality, is not all about the driver, it's about the installation.
    Last edited by jlaine; 01-14-2003 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I smell a flame....sniff, sniff

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Closed Thread