Closed Thread

Reload Thread: dual 10" trapezoid enclosure...

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dual 10" trapezoid enclosure...

AS of now I'm making a rough draft of a trapezoid dual 10" box. I grasp the idea but the total construction I'm unsure of. I'm using 10" eclipse 1000 watts with a power acoustic 1700d amp (if it matters). I am very, very new to all this but I know some stuff. What I dont know is how big the box should be and what like .7^3 feet means. someone who knows whats up please tell me a little.

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    .7^3 = .7 Cubic Feet

I'd probably make the box a bit bigger than that, even if you're going with sealed....about 1 - 1.25 sounds about right to me for that sub. If trunk space is holding you back, .7 will still sound pretty good, you just won't get as much low-end extension as you would with a larger box.

Is there any particular reason you're making the box trapezoid? Is it for a truck? Here's some square box dimensions to start you out:

12" Wide
    12" Tall
    12.5" Deep

That comes up to .702 cubic feet (before speaker displacement). This design will take the most power, but you'll lose just about all frequency response below 40hz.

12" Wide
    12" Tall
    17.25" Deep

That one is 1.005 cubic feet (again, before displacement). This one will take up a little more cargo space, of course, but you'll be able to play notes in the 35-40 range loud and clear.

14" Wide
    14" Tall
    15.5" Deep

This is the big boy of the bunch at 1.266 cubic feet (before displacement). If it were my sub and install, I'd go with this one because it should show response all the way down to the lowest frequency the sub will play, which is probably about 25-30hz.

If you need more help, or are dead set on an oddly shaped box, you can plug your numbers into the calculator at http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxnew2.htm

PS. All measurements given are outer dimensions and assuming that you're using .75" thick board, WHICH YOU SHOULD BE! Anything less is likely to break under extreme pressure.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have read and have been told trapezoid will give a better sound than a rectangle. Its for a sedan trunk and also trapezoid blends better than a rectangle, so basically for sound quality and appearence.

Closed Thread