Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: will this hurt my subs vc's?

neonrt is offline What are you looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

will this hurt my sub?

never tried this before, i always had a 2ohm mono stable amp before, but i am limited now to a pos insignia. Now here is the issue. i have a mach 5 maw 15 coming, and its dual 4ohm, so either 8 or 2 load. now this amp is 2ohm stero stable, but only 4ohm mono. can i run each output to each vc? 8ohms on that amp might push 175rms, which is way too little for the sub, and i am worried to run the amp@ 2ohms mono. my hu only has a rear preout, so there is a left and right signal. will this hurt my sub to run it that way? i dont think it would if i had a sub preout, but with the rear preout, will this be sending 2 diff signals to each vc and screw it up? i hope i explained myself enough for you guys to understand, but i am not clear on something, just ask.

thanks for any help.
    Last edited by neonrt; 12-21-2006 at 11:41 PM. Reason: title was kinda gay.

btlking is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: will this hurt my subs vc's?

isnt it either 2 or 8 ohm could be rong

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

running it at 4ohms x2 probably won't give you much more power than 8 ohm, bridged.

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i meant i can run it at either 2 or 8, sorry. you got the idea though, cause i said the amp wasn't 2ohm stable mono. i'll edit the above as well.

btlking is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no prob just helping u out

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer Man View Post
    running it at 4ohms x2 probably won't give you much more power than 8 ohm, bridged.
    if i run each 4ohm coil to the amps channels, should it not run at a 2ohm stereo load. thats how my old sony worked. i believe the internals are wired like that, kinda like how mono amps with more than 1 output are wired paralell internally.
    am i mistaken? and any amount of power i can get over 8ohm mono would be nice for now. in a month or so i am getting 2 new amps, one for my comps, and one for my sub. getting both with way more power than needed now for future expansion.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe i should try to run the amp at 2ohm mono anyway, and see if it cuts out or not. dont really care about the amp, i got it so cheap, just cause my old amp went out on me, and wasn't worth fixing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

does anyone know if this would hurt the sub? or was this thread pointless?

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it wont hurt the sub.

edit

unless youre clippin the crap outta it.

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    it wont hurt the sub.

edit

unless youre clippin the crap outta it.
    so running a left signal to 1 coil, and a right signal to the other wont hurt it? my mind says that it would, but if someone could provide a reason behind it, that is what i am looking for. thanks again.

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just bridge it at 8 ohms.... you'll get the same power as 4 ohm stereo.

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    just bridge it at 8 ohms.... you'll get the same power as 4 ohm stereo.
    not quite, but close. iirc the amp is 120 x 2 rms at 4ohm, and 360rms at 4ohm mono. i figure around 175rms at 8ohm mono. it seems actually close to what it says for rms. it switches with my buddies kicker amp, and sounds just as loud, but cleaner, and it(the kicker) is rated at 3??rms@4ohm(birth sheet), not sure on the model though. i think first i will try 2ohm mono, and see if it screws the amp, seeing as no one has given me any reason that running each coil separetly wont hurt the sub.

lincolnls is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 ohm stereo=4ohm mono, plain and simple

the question i ask is the amp a mono block or a 2 channel amp

becasue if it is a mono block amp and you hook up each coil to each of the outputs the amp will see a 2ohm mono load (a lot of mono block amps (i channel) has 2 speaker terminals even thou it is only a 1 channel amp so that you can wire 2 subs up to the amp easier.

and if it is a mono block and it has 2 speaker terminals on it then the speaker terminals are internaly wired in parellel, so the amp would see no difference if you hiiked up 1 VC to one speaker terminal and the other VC to the other speaker terminal then if you used only 1 speaker terminal to 1 of the VC and then from that VC wire it in parellel to the other VC

hope that helps

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

To an amplifier, 2ohm stereo and 4ohm mono are exactly the same thing. Output will be the same, because to the amp it IS the same. As a matter of fact, when bridged the amp is simply splitting the impedance between the two channels (and thus the output). When bridging an amp, you pull one leg off each channel, and each channel takes half the load (impedance). So, when bridging to an 8ohm mono load, each channel will see half that... 4ohms. This is why the amplifier still sees a 4ohm stereo load, even when bridged mono, and is why output is exactly the same between each of the two setups.

In other words, running each coil to its own channel will result in exactly the same power output as running it bridged mono at 8ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrt View Post
    if i run each 4ohm coil to the amps channels, should it not run at a 2ohm stereo load. thats how my old sony worked.
    Incorrect. If you wire each 4ohm coil to its own channel on the amp, that's 4ohms to each channel... why would you think that's running at 2ohms stereo?

Your Sony did not work that way, you are mistaken.

edit: you cannot wire a DVC4ohm sub up to receive the maximum output from a 2ohm stereo stable amplifier. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it simply cannot be done.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    To an amplifier, 2ohm stereo and 4ohm mono are exactly the same thing. Output will be the same, because to the amp it IS the same. As a matter of fact, when bridged the amp is simply splitting the impedance between the two channels (and thus the output). When bridging an amp, you pull one leg off each channel, and each channel takes half the load (impedance). So, when bridging to an 8ohm mono load, each channel will see half that... 4ohms. This is why the amplifier still sees a 4ohm stereo load, even when bridged mono, and is why output is exactly the same between each of the two setups.

In other words, running each coil to its own channel will result in exactly the same power output as running it bridged mono at 8ohms.

Incorrect. If you wire each 4ohm coil to its own channel on the amp, that's 4ohms to each channel... why would you think that's running at 2ohms stereo?

Your Sony did not work that way, you are mistaken.

edit: you cannot wire a DVC4ohm sub up to receive the maximum output from a 2ohm stereo stable amplifier. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it simply cannot be done.
    you are not the bearer of bad news, but thank some one for answering my question. there is only good news here, i know the answer to my question, and that was the point of this thread. thank you audioholic.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast