Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need alt advice quick!!!!!!!

buster is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need alt advice quick!!!!!!!

On the way home from work, my alt went out. It's a 100 amp stock chevy alt. My system is approximately 900 watts running @ 4 ohms. It has two batteries with a relay between them and a 1 farad cap also. It's been running like this for 5 years and had slight voltage drop when the bass hit. My friend said that it is probably a diode that went out. I have to go get it rebuilt tomorrow. I was thinking since I was going to be at an alt shop maybe I should get it rewound too. Is there any down side to doing this? Will it affect my computer, the relay between the batteries, or stock wiring? What all will it affect? How much does it usually cost? What should I get it rewound to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alphafrog1 is offline PURDUE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm a chevy alt going out... why does that not suprise me???

chevy makes nice engines but for some reason their alts always go out fairly quickly

In the process of building an enclosure for 2 12" Magnum D2's... should be fun :thumbsup

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would it be better to just get a bigger oem alt? How do they rewind the old one? Do they still use copper? Isn't there a physical limit on how much they can put in there? It probably wouldn't cool as good and the diodes would go out faster. How much does it usually cost, approximately, to get it rewound? How manly amps could I possibly get out of it?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone? I have to do something asap!

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it will go as high as there is room to rewind. my old alt. the casing allowed for 90 amps to 120 i said screw it got a 160amp alt from the net never had any problems now not even running 1700watts rms.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

ricerdude is offline TEAM THRESHOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont know how much it costs but i have heard it is in the range of 100-200 and it varies on the alt.. they probably do chevys a lot and it will be on the 100 side.. ?????????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope chevy's aren't cheap. mine was priced around 135-185 depending on how high they could have gone.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't decide whether to get a new, bigger one or get the old one redone. It doesn't look like there's much room for more in the casing. I think I'd trust an oem more. I think I can get a 124 amp oem. How much do you think it would cost either way I went?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What new alt would ya'll recommend if I didn't get the old one rewound? I can't get anything off the net or order anything because I need it to drive by tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to say dude, but your royally screwed would be my guess. i know in Austin not a small town we only have 2 alternator shops and they are always packed. you'd be better off to order from www.mralternator.com and go through him it would be quicker and cheaper. my alt. was like 180shipped go to a shop you'd pay prolly like 250ish to get one and have them put it in.

adam

ricerdude is offline TEAM THRESHOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if the last one lasted for 5 years just get a regular one and most of them come with a warranty and in 5 years do it again.....i would say that 5 years is good for having a system...????????????

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would an alt shop have h.o. alts that would directly replace mine using the same belt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    extremly unlikely. i asked the shops here and they were like "uhhhhhh GM doesn't make a h/o alt. that will fit in the stock location your gonna need to remount it blah blah" i said **** them ordered mine from mralternator got it in like a week ripped my old one out, put the new one in, ripped out the stock power wire and put in 4gauge now i'm set.

adam

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'd like to order one, but I don't have time because I don't have another ride. I'll call around to different alt and car audio shops later and see if they'll provide the vasaline with it. What all do I need to upgrade? Hmmmm, I wonder how long I can drive around town on just the battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you can start and run your car, then your alt isn't dead dude. if your alt is dead your car is dead it don't run at all. so if you car starts but doesn't run well after that it isn't the alt check other connections.

adam

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List