Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Diamond D6 questions

acold7dusta is offline y they stealin my bucket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Diamond D6 questions

i bought a single 10" diamond audio D6 (dual 2 ohm) brand new a few monthes ago. i mated this to a D3 400.1 amp. i got 4 gauge split off to 8 ga to my d3 400.4 and d3 400.1. built a 1.25 cu ft tuned to 35 hz ( diamond's recommendation) optima battery is giving 14.8 volts at each amp (engine running).

set the gains with a DMM and got just over 20 volts, with the gain at around 3/4. on my kenwood x790, i have to have the sub output at +15.

questions: how effiecient is the d6 line of subs? there RMS is 500, but i know they underrate there stuff too save there asses. am i feeding my sub enough power? are these pure SQ subs, or are they supposed to have some SQL in the mix? its not very loud, id say 110 on music. i have trouble with my sub keepin up with my comps. i know its a single 10, but when i had my lil kenwood 12" off of 150 rms, that would literally shake my car apart. (sealed and ported, ported 10x more) i dont think anything is wrong with my electrical, and i know nothing is wrong with the amp, box or sub.

would 4 ga. power/ground make any difference? i have these skinny cheap RCA's for the input too, would that make a difference? ive checked and rechecked everything, it just doesnt make sense.

if i play test tones, it gets pretty loud and normal, but reg. music dont cut it. im not that obsessed with bass, but it just doesnt blend very good IMO.

anyone know whats going on? i like how it sounds, i just dont wanna have to run my settings that high all the time, and would like it alot louder too.

thanks, kevin

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    Sundown: SAX-50.4D
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub
    ...........-.80 cu. ft FG sealed

creyc is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Diamond D6 questions

How many ohms of resistance is the amp seeing from the sub in the way you have it wired? Since its dual 2 ohm sub the total is either 1 ohm (parallel) or 4 ohms (series). That amp puts out 400 @ 1 ohm and 100 @ 4 ohm, so make sure you have the voice coils wired in parallel.

You could do with a larger amp, yes. Its not a crazy sensitive sub at 84 dB/2.83V/1m, and it will definitely handle more than 400 watts with ease.

"last time I checked ohm was short for ohmega... " - Death By Bass

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes its in parallel, wired down to 1 ohm

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very strange, ill be tryin different RCA's and if that dont work, im completely stumped, and thats how itll stay

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub

Motoguy18 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i know what you are talking about. i have 2 10" d3's with a d6 1000.1 amp powering them. rms is 400 and max is 800. listening to regular music is is just ok souding, i though maybe if i got new door speakers and can turn it up louder that the subs might become louder. another thing with my set up is that i have a very shallow box, its underneath my seats in my titan kc, maybe they need more air space.

creyc is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try setting the gains to music and by ear. You can up the low pass to make it easier to tell when its clipping if you want and put it back when you're done. When I set gain by voltage I found it was a bit low compared to what the amp can really do, especially if the amp is underrated. Setting by ear isn't as foolproof and safe, but you can get the most out of your setup this way.

"last time I checked ohm was short for ohmega... " - Death By Bass

Jeremiah25 is offline Team Budweiser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to run the Diamond D6's. They will get very loud, and handle quite a bit of power. I ran two Mojo 2000d's at 1 ohm a piece on a pair of Diamond D6 15's. The subs only lasted for about 3 months with that much power on them for daily. but there is a huge difference in 2000 watts and 400 watts. I'd put a 1000 watts on it and call it a day.

TEAM BUDWEISER
    2006 USAC Street Beat 3 World Champion and Record Holder 157.1
    2006 dB Drags World Champions SS 1-2 166.3 and 3rd in Street C 155.5
    2005 MECA AS3 world champion and WR holder

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ran my single M6 (earlier D6) on a little over 800W sealed. They need a lot of power to reach their potential.

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have had the D5's which are the previous model and they are very ineffiecient IMO. Sealed they are just not loud no matter how much power, ported they sound good but you have to give them about 1000 watts rms to get very loud and I have blown two of them and these are the only subs that I have ever blown. I would look at a different line of subs if I were you. I love the amps though.

Closed Thread