Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: JL W7's Worth It?

JSPECHB is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 JL W7's Worth It?

I'm asking you guys before I order them tomorrow. Are they really worth the $500/each price? Or if I'm nuts and you can get them cheaper, please let me know! I've heard nothing but good things about the W7's. I've heard one 10 W7 in a box at the store and it was pretty **** serious, whole store was rattling. That dont mean there worth $500/each though.

Please let me hear/read you opinions! Thanks.

Coming this week! - 2 JL W7's Wooooohooooo!!

Moocow16 is offline Master of Puppets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well, from what i've heard, w7's need a perfect box in order to sound good. they either love it or hate it. also, a lot of people on here think that it's way overpriced. you can get a brahma for like what, $369 i think?, and it will sound as good if not better, and probably be louder, all while costing less. basically with jl, your paying for the name, and while they do have very good sq, it's still overpriced. i'd suggest to check out 2 brahma's instead http://adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/d...hma_series.htm
    Last edited by Moocow16; 01-05-2003 at 02:00 PM.

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you are looking for the best possible sound quality driver, look no fartehr tahn the JL... assuming you ahve the cash, and have the time to get teh box right...
    build it properly, and you will be head and shoulders above most....
    only thing is, it does need some good mids to sound right, (don't confuse that as being a bad thing, it just means that its a dedicated SUBwoofer.... get soem nice mids, and you will be impressed...)
    You are not paying for the name... you are paying for the R&D and technology... it truly is one of teh best dirvers put out...

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Wonderbread
    If you are looking for the best possible sound quality driver, look no fartehr tahn the JL... assuming you ahve the cash, and have the time to get teh box right...
    build it properly, and you will be head and shoulders above most....
    only thing is, it does need some good mids to sound right, (don't confuse that as being a bad thing, it just means that its a dedicated SUBwoofer.... get soem nice mids, and you will be impressed...)
    You are not paying for the name... you are paying for the R&D and technology... it truly is one of teh best dirvers put out...
    Agreed...100%.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

willis72 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive always been a fan of JL. I just like to products, the way they sound and look. The w7s are made from scratch by JL in their factory with no foreign manufacture. I know you do pay for the name and what not, but could it be that you pay for quality? I know JL have some new technologies in their subs, will they lasst longer than say a brahma? i dont know.
    let me know what you think.
    its true that you need a perfect box for a w7 but if you build it to JL specs using a slot port, you should be fine. Also go ported because w7s lose very little sound quality in a ported enclosure.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be buying the W7 already in a box. I think its the Stealth Box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ewww pre-fab....oh well, it will work for the time being...but I suggest you eventually look into building your own sealed or ported box.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My mistake not stealth. This is the setup I heard that hit like a mofo.

Thats also the one I'll be buying. 10 inch sub and box for $500.

Power Handling:
    500W Continuous

Drivers:
    One 10W7-3

Final Impedance:
    3 Ohms Mono

Dimensions:
    32"W x 19.25"D x 15.25"H

Notes:
    Chamber-coupled,
    slot-ported enclosure.
    Rear-firing design.
    Last edited by JSPECHB; 01-05-2003 at 02:20 PM.

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nope. JL w7 doesn't have an advantage in SPL or SQ over almost any other woofers in its price class.

I'll admit that I am a little biased against JL Audio, but if you look at other woofers that cost close to the same, they either blow it out of the water in SQ, in SPL or both, and aren't as hard to build a box for. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice driver and has a nice mix of SPL and SQ, but pound for pound and dollar for dollar, there's way better stuff out there.

A good friend of mine is an authorized JL, Memphis and Planet Audio dealer. He uses the high end Memphis gear in his competition car with PA amps driving them. Why? Memphis subs are louder (and cheaper!) and JL doesn't make an amp bigger than 1kw.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, from what I can gather its a great driver and nearly in a class of its own. However is it worth the cash? That opens up an entirely different arguement, it seems the brahma will stay **** near with it, the suspension on the JL is a bit better, but is it worth that much more cash, to me no, but if I had lots of money to toss around, perhaps. Id also look into the new Edesign E12a, for the cash I cant help but feel its right in the running with the brahma, its about 2mm behind in xmax, but a little better suspension setup, and about $100 cheaper. Yes, I am biast a bit towards Edesign, but just about EVERYBODY has a biast towards something and always will. If you like what you heard, and can afford it go for it. Thats my .02 cents.

95' Infiniti G20
    Alpine/Elemental Designs/Soundstream

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you want the best of the best in SQ, get a W7. u want the best of the best in value, get a Brahma. the W7 has an edge in Sound quality, but not much. the brahma does much better in a ported box (talk about low end!), but the W7 is much better in a sealed box. if i were to compete in a SQ comp and had the choice to use either sub, i'd take the W7, just because the judges can be a bit biased sometimes (long story).:o

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think rangerman or steve said something about the W7 and it taking over 1000 watts...he said at over that power, the w7's suspension system just sets it apart from all other subwoofers...but under that power, its not better than the brahma. personally i would save myself over 100 bucks and get the brahma 10 and build my own box.

and about that stealth box...its decent, better than most pre-fab boxes. i heard a 10 in one and it hit pretty hard and sounded ok...but it did bottom out a lil bit easy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With a 10", after 1000w, you void your warranty...

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by ss3079
    With a 10", after 1000w, you void your warranty...

- Steve
    ahh, well i was speaking of a SQ competition of course, where they are not worried about warranties

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I had the $$ I'd have got a W7. They are worth the money if you plan on competing. If not, then perhaps it would be better to look elsewhere, unless you really want the best (one of).

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast