Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Focal Speakers anygood?

http://www.focal-america.com/

my local audio shop is recommending focal's for my car, but i've never heard of them. Not that that's a bad thing, as i've found in the past that often some of the better stuff out there is stuff i haven't heard of. Any opinions on them? The 6.5 speakers are going to run me like 300 i believe so they're somewhat pricey. But i don't mind spending money on quality stuff.

Appreciate any feedback

-Yrrk

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd say they are one of the best. i would also look into CDT audio, Dynaudio, MB quarts, etc..

by the way, what models are the focal?

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    My Pyramid speakers are better than Focals ...
    I take it you have had bad luck/experiences with Focal in the past?

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, I'm just being stupid
    Works for me

Anyways, the Focals are very nice speakers. They sound good to my ears and meet my preferences for what I like to hear in my music.

- Steve

EDIT ~ I would also take a look at MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, Eclipse, Kicker, Rainbow, Diamond, etc.

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, I'm just being stupid
    what's new?:p

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Yrrkoon is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didnt ask but judging by the price of $300, i'm guessing the polyglass line? The utopia's seem to run $600+ and the access and polykevlar seem significantly less.. I'll try to find out. How do the varoius lines compare?

-Yrrk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like the Polykevlar's have an MSRP of $679.99 but on the net i've found them for $329.99.

The Polyglass have an MSRP of $399.99 but on the net i've found them for $239.99

So with only a $90 difference, the question begs, are the polykevlar's worth 90 bucks more then the polyglass?

-Yrrk

mrray13 is offline uz some fegbags

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that depends on u......i have the polyglass and love them! (after an issue w/the install and the idiots who installed them)...

the kevlars will give u more power handling...a steeper x-over slope(i think..that may happen at the utopia)..but probably not a noticable difference to ur ears..all things being equal....

but no matter which ones u chose...even the entery level....should make u more then happy...

other recommeditions......oz, cdt and diamond

hope that helps..good luck.........

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by lilmaniac2
    Your circles look like something a HMO doctor would do to a **** job ....
    ^^^ speaking about cbfryman's jigsaw ability

owner of Thread posts 11111 & 12345

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i find that the polykevlar seems to be much better than the polyglass. more midbass, more defined mids, more detailed tweeters, etc. if you have the money to get the polykevlar, go get it. although i would much spend $300 on CDT audio speakers:p

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by GSteg
    i find that the polykevlar seems to be much better than the polyglass. more midbass, more defined mids, more detailed tweeters, etc. if you have the money to get the polykevlar, go get it. although i would much spend $300 on CDT audio speakers:p
    u really think there is that much of a difference?? i've only heard them at the shop..in the little speaker tower thingy...and between them and the 'glass..there wasn't too much of a difference (both bieng powered by some lightning audio amp w/ sony h/u)..he kept switching them back and forth..that's part of the reason i got the 'glass.....anywho, he didn't have any utopia's in the tower, so i couldn't hear them.....

i'd take diamond over cdt................hehe, gsteg...and jensen over both..hahahehehaha

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just listened to some focal access's and polykevlar's.. quite a difference if you ask me but not neccessarily in a good way. The access' sounded solid all around but the polykevlar's were very crisp/treble-sounding. My impression was they'd be great if you had a huge system with huge amounts of base to back them up with (i.e. needed that crisp sound to cut through the rest of the system), but not really a good choice for someone more interested in a ******* system to replace the stock system in a car (more in tune with what i'm after).

Which has me wondering whta polyglasses sound like. since the'yre sort of inbetween the above two. granted i only heard them in the storeroom on the wall..

-Yrrk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well maybe the difference i heard was because it wasn't in a showroom. remember, cars and rooms have totally different acoustics. i heard the polykevlars in a 1997 BMW 328i.

HarleyF150 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey

Focal Comps are very good but i would check out Diamond Audio comps before i bought Focal. Rememeber Focal has no warranty but diamond has a three year and sound just as good if not better than Focals IMO.

Later

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: hey

Originally posted by HarleyF150
    Focal Comps are very good but i would check out Diamond Audio comps before i bought Focal. Rememeber Focal has no warranty but diamond has a three year and sound just as good if not better than Focals IMO.

Later
    why wouldn't focal have warranty on their products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: hey

Originally posted by HarleyF150

Later
    on the contrary harley...focal DOES INDEED have a warranty on their products! i know becuz currently my focals are being repaired/replaced under said warranty. I do believe it is only a year, though it might be two..will look it up and post it later.

as to diamonds sounding as good...i agree..except i found their tweeters a bit harsh. either would be a good choice, along with cdt, oz and even jl.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List