Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ORION QUESTION NEW Vrs. OLD Please someone read

generalGOTCHA is offline Boyz in the Hood (EZE )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ORION QUESTION NEW Vrs. OLD Please someone read

Ok , My first experiance with the only subs that ever stayed in my brain for life would be my first paid of the old XTR 15" Orions. Later I bought a 12" MOFO yet the orions have better memories.

I am considering getting back into the audio world and adding a pair of subs to my car. The problem is Orion's subs are significantly cheaper. Im thinking " THERES A CATCH" Didnt they sell out to pyramid or something like that ?

My interest is in the new HP series now having 17mm Xmax. Are these subs still awsome ? I am so freegin amazed by the C-series subwoofers made by Orion due to a local audio store here in san antonio. CAR TOONS ! and a knowledgable installer named Josh showed me those C-series taking 600watts and have been in the same box for over 3 years now. The specs on the new HP series are incredible , but I just want to go with all of your opinions because this is the website I make sure to get answers from.

Please post even theoretical opinions. Ide preffer experiance with both the old and new subs / series for more of a distinguished opinion.

Thanks guys / girls !

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ORION QUESTION NEW Vrs. OLD Please someone read

Orion is now under the umbrella of the Directed Electronics Incorporated conglomerate.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

My H2 is a durable sub with decent SQ and excellent output

CarAudio.com mod(original)

bigbirney420 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have owned both, old and new. As far as amps are concerned the new stuff is way below the old. I have 2 amps that are 5 years old, pre DEI still running in my car. I bought an Orion 1200 and it lasted like a month, could have been a bad amp but. I used to have a set of Ntense 12's and they were some of the best subs I ever owned. New subs I have heard quite a few bad things, especially about the H2's. IMO theres better out there for the money.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, New Era Intake, Doug Thorley Exhaust, Patrick G Tune
    Building: Hybrid Imagine 6.5 front, Image Dynamics CTX 5.25 rear doors. Peerless SLS 8's rear deck off of Kicker ZXSum8 and ZX 700.5

2007 Toyota 4Runner
    Eclipse XA100 sub amp and Incriminator 187 10 in 1.6 cubes
    Working on Double Din, nice 6.5 Seperates and 6.5 coaxs rear

Refs: Pike110,Hintzyboy,dcmcki, qcsfinest704, MagickMan, allstar1500bd, ravemeister, Team PSI, Jntar, Brian Owens, and others....so many

generalGOTCHA is offline Boyz in the Hood (EZE )

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much . DEI bad ? good ?

Ide have to agree about those old Ntense series Orion subs. I recently heard a SINGLE subwoofer in a ported box describe to be capable of a 22Hz Lows. Im not sure if thats correct but that **** sub was impressive being bought from a pawn shop and put into a custom box all for under 100$.

Anyways, Im waiting to hear about these new HP series. Also anyone who has experiance with the C-series subwoofers as well.

::* Ive seen all the talk about type R's .*Alpine* now being not so much a competition audio enthusiest , but above the everyday listener . I take the assumption Type R's give a great deal of sound for the price. I assume their proper fitting for us whom just want alllllllll we can get without changing out the alternators and going over 2kWatts. Comparing the C- series and HP series subwoofers to the Type R's . What would you guys suggest .

Note: 1986 420 Mercedes Benz

frzninvt is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comparing the DEI run Orion to the original Orion company is blasphemy to the Orion name.

It is all cheaply made foreign garbage period! Spend a little time reading about all the issues it won't take you long to see the light.

Gone are the days of mil-spec PCB's and any resemblance of quality Made in the USA products.

I'll put my Orion Xtreme 100 and 200 up against anything on the market today and at 11 years old they would be near impossible to beat.

If you want real Orion buy the used older gear you will thank yourself later.

1995 Oriental Blue BMW 525i 5 Speed
    Stock Alpine System Actively Crossed Over & Amped w/CD 6-Disc Changer System with a/d/s 235is comps in front (3-Ways front, 2-Ways rear) sounds really good. All functions are displayed on the dash's check control display module.

Closed Thread