Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Should I leave out the 3.5"ers from the front stage???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should I leave out the 3.5"ers from the front stage???

With a set of 6.5" Excelon DualMags in my front doors and a set of Excelon tweeters mounted on my A-pillars (or a set of Excelon 6.5" comps set up the same way), should I leave the 3.5" speaker slots on my dash board empty??? How much of a difference for better or for worse would it make if I had them / didn't have them??? Any alternative suggestions???
    THX

Epitaph to War is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ThanX man...
    What about if I got some new ones... some Kappas maybe?
    Or should I just leave it to the tweeters?

xin
    xin is offline Boost > NA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Leave them out. More speakers on the front create a worse frontstaging. A while ago I had 2 sets of components my car: 1 in kickpanels and 1 in doors and it sounded way worse than having one set of components.

Clarion VRX630 6.5 inch Motorized Screen Receiver
    Clarion VCZ625 DVD/VCD/CD/MP3 Changer
    2 PT-12 Bass Mekaniks by U.S Amps
    6.5 Crossfire SQ Component Mids in custom fibreglass kick panels
    JBL BP1200.1-Back Up Amp
    Rockford Fosgate 200S
    Monster Cable One Farad Digital Cap
    H.O. Alternator-175 Amps
    Phoenix Gold Wiring

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    actually if they were a bit larger it might be worth it.....but i doubt 3.5's would do much....as for the other guy....if your running a couple different comp sets in the front....if they were different companys then there might be cancelation due to the fact that they were diff. brands...but if they were the same comps it should have sounded good....

evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok...first off, the reference to the 2 sets of comps was completley irrelevent as he add more speakers carriing the same ranges. The comment about them worsening the system if they are stock is much more relevent, and accurate. I would suggestion putting new ones in, chances are you can work 4" into those 3.5" opening (there are more 4" to choose from on the market). If you dont have the money, disconnect them, but dont run the stock ones.

zane is offline Bored.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally think that mounting ANYTHING in the A Pillars is a nice way to throw off the soundstage.

I have yet to see a system with tweeters in that location that did manage to image properly.

The dash speakers are another story. Some cars I have had exceptional results with dash mounting either tweeters or 3.4, 4 inch speakers. The contour of the dash and windshield will determine if this is a plausable solution for you.

In my old 85 TBird, I had 2 2.5" JBL Coaxials mounted in the dash and aimed slightly inward and towards the windshield. The response I got out of those little things was amazing. Even with my Infinity Kappa components in the kicks, the soundstage balanced out very well.

Dash mounting is not always a bad way to go. It really depends on your particular vehicle though, and how much adjusting you want to take on.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a making a set of kick pannels for your car and mounting both the mid and tweeter in them. This will by far lead to a better overall soundstage as opposed to the doors and A pillars.

A few options for you anyway...

take it easy,

-zane

Webslave - www.SoundwavesCS.net

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

xin
    xin is offline Boost > NA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya they were different set comps....one was Crossfire SQ6.5s and the others were Orion 6.5s......there was quite a bit of cancelation goin on......then I traded my comp to this guy for his mid bass driver......

Clarion VRX630 6.5 inch Motorized Screen Receiver
    Clarion VCZ625 DVD/VCD/CD/MP3 Changer
    2 PT-12 Bass Mekaniks by U.S Amps
    6.5 Crossfire SQ Component Mids in custom fibreglass kick panels
    JBL BP1200.1-Back Up Amp
    Rockford Fosgate 200S
    Monster Cable One Farad Digital Cap
    H.O. Alternator-175 Amps
    Phoenix Gold Wiring

Closed Thread