Closed Thread

Reload Thread: mb quart discus series vs. crystal cxe-693 vs infinity kappa

snitchelgroovin is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mb quart discus series vs. crystal cxe-693 vs infinity kappa

i need some rear speakers to go with my front mb quart reference comps. im gonna get a 300/4 amp which will get up to about 100watts and the mb quart discus 5inch, non comp but 2 way, would handle up to 120rms. the infinity kappa handles about 90 i think and the crystal only handles 75. i need something that sounds good and is pretty cheap. ive been told that the crystal cxe 6x9'' 3 way would sound best, but ive never heard of this brand (no comments on that) and i dont really know.

im thinking that the mb quart discus series speakers would be best, but people say these ****... what do you think?

should i get...
    mb quart discus 2 way 7'' handles 120
    infinity kappa 6.5'' 2 way handles 90-100 (or something close)
    crystal cxe-693 6"x9" 3 way handles 75

im thinking that the crystal wont get very loud since it only holds 75, but i need to get rid of that idea that low wattage = low volume. if someone could just tell me what will be the loudest, and which has the best sound quality

CDT HD 5.25" comps up front
    mb quart reference comps rsc213 rear fills
    jl 300/4 amp powering speakers
    alpine 7995 head unit
    50square feet of Second SKin

soon to come...
    2 magnum D2's powered by 2 nine.1's (for 2500w) in a sealed box, hopefully FG

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In your situation id go with the MB Quart's. You already have a pair of them, and its always good to keep the same brand interior speaker.

Although I myself have Kappas all around and love them to death

Just my 2 cents

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Gauntlet
    and its always good to keep the same brand interior speaker.

anyone else see something wrong with this statement?

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hah true dat... but he likes the infinitys, and i was thinking about those. i know henry likes the crystal though. if my store has them, then ill go with em. but if anyone likes the discus then (since thats kinda what i wanna get) id think about that.

alpine 7995 head unit

soon to come...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone else see something wrong with this statement?
    I'm not saying it's necessary, but I have heard odd things when people mix different brands of interior speakers. Although usually it was with a good speaker and an average speaker, so take it for what its worth. I dont think there would be a problem mixing MB with Infinity since both are very good speakers, but if I already had a pair of MB's and was looking to add another pair of speakers, I would definitely go with another set of MB's. That's just me though.

- Slug

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ya man... but i dont want something that *****. the mb quart discus is the worst series, and its very cheap... does anyone know anything about it?

i want something that will sound good man...

alpine 7995 head unit

soon to come...

silvereclipse20 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Snitch, I got the MB DSD series in my old car and let me tell you if you decide to go with that get ready for some harsh tweeters especially in vocals with the SSSSSSSS...overall I thought they were a bit lacking because of absolutely no midbass and shallow sound. I would probably go with the infinitys because I heard they were the best for the money and MBS and infinitys just dont match well together for a good soundstage. If you want a sugggestion I take the Fusion 3ways with the swivel tweeters, I bought them from precisioncarsound.com for $50 bucks plus $3 dollar shipping and they sound incredible off a HU, even better then my rainbow dreamlines which were about $140. I say ditch the MB DSD unless you get the higher ends like the PSD which can be bought off ebay for only $50 more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ya man... but i dont want something that *****. the mb quart discus is the worst series, and its very cheap... does anyone know anything about it?
    Ah, i got confused. I read your first post too quick and thought you had already had a pair of discus series and were satisfied with them, thats the main reason I suggested just getting another pair of them. In that case, Infinity would probably be the way to go. If you got the Crystals youd have to watch your gains very carefully with your amp. Infinitys would give you the quality you want without having too worry to much about them.

If you want a sugggestion I take the Fusion 3ways with the swivel tweeters, I bought them from precisioncarsound.com for $50 bucks plus $3 dollar shipping and they sound incredible off a HU, even better then my rainbow dreamlines which were about $140.
    I've never heard Fusion interior speakers, but I have heard their subs. Freaking terrible. Although some companies make good interior speakers and ****** subs, and vice versa, so take it with a grain of salt.

- Slug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, i got confused. I read your first post too quick and thought you had already had a pair of discus series and were satisfied with them, thats the main reason I suggested just getting another pair of them. In that case, Infinity would probably be the way to go. If you got the Crystals youd have to watch your gains very carefully with your amp. Infinitys would give you the quality you want without having too worry to much about them.

Yah I heard the Crystal sounded really well but dosent get too loud, go look at some sites they are on sale for about $150 for the comps. I got a question for you, does putting more power for speakers just make them louder or does it increase the SQ as well. Say for an instance a nice set like the JLs would they sound ****** off an HU power and then turn into a different light when they are amped.

I've never heard Fusion interior speakers, but I have heard their subs. Freaking terrible. Although some companies make good interior speakers and ****** subs, and vice versa, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I never heard their subs, but yah the speakers are incredible for the price maybe just lacking a little bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yah I heard the Crystal sounded really well but dosent get too loud, go look at some sites they are on sale for about $150 for the comps. I got a question for you, does putting more power for speakers just make them louder or does it increase the SQ as well. Say for an instance a nice set like the JLs would they sound ****** off an HU power and then turn into a different light when they are amped.

[i]I've never heard Fusion interior speakers, but I have heard their subs. Freaking terrible. Although some companies make good interior speakers and ****** subs, and vice versa, so take it with a grain of salt. [/B]
    I never heard their subs, but yah the speakers are incredible for the price maybe just lacking a little bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Say for an instance a nice set like the JLs would they sound ****** off an HU power and then turn into a different light when they are amped.
    They definitely won't sound ****** of an HU, but they will be leaps and bounds better off a good quality amp and a good xover/EQ. I usually try to get an amp that pushes about 20 watts below the RMS to account for the amp being underrated (assuming the specs are at 12V)

That's interesting. This kid I used to work with has 2 12's, and I'd put them in the same league as Sony. I dont know what amp he had, so that might contribute to the quality I heard.

- Slug

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well i know that my mb quarts reference comps run at 40-100 rms power, and if they do not get that they they wont perform. its wierd... im getting very many different ideas from them. i have the head unit hooked up to them with no amp... and it sounds real nice at lower levels, and i can turn up the bass all the way and they still sound good... but once i start going over 50% volume they start distorting. i did not think this would happen, and my store people said this is just normal, they need pleanty of rms (they need an amp). so if you have high rms speakers, they wont sound good without an amp.

hopefully i can get my amplifier on friday... and maby some rear fill speakers. im thinking to go with the kappas, no way for fusions, i need something thats gonna get loud. i would like to go with the infinitys... but another problem is do i get 6x9 or 6.5's. and do i get 2 way or 3 way?

alpine 7995 head unit

soon to come...

Closed Thread