User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Small Enclosure Subs...the general debate.

NoBetrSupra is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Enclosure Subs...the general debate.

Hi all!

I'm in the process of finshing and starting again (I'll explain) a subwoofer setup for my 87 Supra.

The setup is a little sticky because the car is a targa which doesn't leave me alot of space to work with if I want to keep everything. Meaning.. 1) Keeping the rear seats, 2) Keeping the spare tire, 3) Keeping the ability to use the hatch area.

And so with the the spirt of trying to keep everything and still have subs, I set out to make a custom sealed enclosure.

In doing so i was trying to make a sealed box with 2 10' subs with at least a .55 chambered air space (per side). Through error I ended up with a box with .49 per sub. As you could imagine the box front fireing, not extremely deep and slotted in the rear to allow the targa to pass over it.

Now after a test with a cheap set of subs Lanzar Vibe Series Pro DVC's 800 Watts, of course I didn't get the bass I wanted. And yes I am running a ton of power.

The basic rule that ever car guy knows is bigger is better, whether it be turbos, subs, pistons etc, etc.

So I guess my general question is, can you make meaningful bass with a small enclosure sub? I don't mean competition sound of course, I've broken glass with my other cars system. But at least bass you can feel.

My next venture before I scrap the box or scrap the rear sets is to try the Fosgate HX2 Subs and a boxed stuffed to hell with Acousta-fill. I don't even think removing the chamber divider would help much.

Does anyone know of any 10" small enclosure subs that would be worthwhile? Remember .49 per side.

Or with a box that irregular and that small, is it just time to start over?

Thanks.

pioneer is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try a pair of IDQ v2 10"

why run with the crowd ?

http://www.steveselectronics.biz - join the forum

bigbassman is offline Master of all things loud bigbassman is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes.. you can have excellent bass from smaller enclosures.. but you have to use woofers optimized for it..

"Low Q" designs... Qts's of under .45 usually do best in smaller sized boxes..

Elemental, Adire, and RE all market woofers designed to be satisfying in small sealed boxes...

Loyd L.

SQL Prolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Small Enclosure Subs...the general debate.

?

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

mikeyboc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were the set ups that broke glass?

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any reason why you bumped a four year old thread for that?

mikeyboc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha! I didn't even realise the chicken had brought it back!

thadman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! you lose some efficiency but this idea has been implemented by several reputable home subwoofer manufacturers, such as Bag End (flat to 8hz, without room gain). They use a box that is naturally too small for the subwoofer thus raising the fundamenal resonance of the driver above the frequencies in which it will be used, the subwoofer then predictably rolls off at 12dB/octave without any impendance peaks to get in the way of a smooth response. They then incorporate a linkwitz transform to equalize the response.

You lose as much efficiency as you boost (if you boost 24dB @ 20hz, your maximum SPL will be 24dB lower than it would be without the linkwitz transform)

You can only have 2 of the 3...
    Efficiency
    Low-End Extension
    Small Box Size

lol...didnt realize it was a 4 year old thread

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. - Richard Feynman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thadman
    Yes! you lose some efficiency but this idea has been implemented by several reputable home subwoofer manufacturers, such as Bag End (flat to 8hz, without room gain). They use a box that is naturally too small for the subwoofer thus raising the fundamenal resonance of the driver above the frequencies in which it will be used, the subwoofer then predictably rolls off at 12dB/octave without any impendance peaks to get in the way of a smooth response. They then incorporate a linkwitz transform to equalize the response.

You lose as much efficiency as you boost (if you boost 24dB @ 20hz, your maximum SPL will be 24dB lower than it would be without the linkwitz transform)

You can only have 2 of the 3...
    Efficiency
    Low-End Extension
    Small Box Size

LAWL... old thread noobXcube!

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Closed Thread