Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rms and peak of a sub

am having some problems here,i have been looking at some sub and i am little confused about rms. Example: all ihuman subwoofers are 1200rms-5000peak for burp. So that mean i must give the subwoofer 1200rms or more. I know must subs have 75-750rms (kickers). But it doesn't say that for Inhuman 15s so go and find a 1200w amp. Or if i put a 1000watts on it will it still push it hard.. And another question Memphis Mojo 2400.2rms amp. So if i have all the power to power this amp to it fully potenial.how many watts will it sub get. What is the best way to power two subs, put a amp on each one, or get one big that produces the same or a little more power.

Terrance Lee

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The RMS and peak ratings that manufacturers assign to subs mean exactly ****. There are too many variables involved to say what kinda power a sub will take on a daily basis before it burns up something important. For example, sub company x suggests you use a 1.0-1.5 sealed box or a 1.5-2.5 vented box for sub x, so the RMS power rating for this sub is based on these box specs. If you build a larger box in an attempt to gain SPL (and i've never seen a sub company recommend the right size box for SPL only applications), the sub will most likely need far less than the suggested RMS to start cooking. Just use those numbers as a guideline as to which amp to match up to the sub, and always buy an amp that leaves you headroom (extra clean watts and less chance your sub will see any clipping) incase the sub will take more than the suggested RMS in the enclosure you choose. Audiobahn suggests that I give my 1200Q 750w of constant power, but it sees a lot closer to 1kw on a daily basis, and it still takes a half hour of hard play to even begin getting hot.

The bottom line is to make sure it doesn't distort, overheat (*overheating will cause distortion before it really begins to damage your sub. make sure you listen for it any time you play your system for an extended period*) or see any clipped signal, and you can enjoy your sub to its fullest potential for years.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Terrance9710 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thank loneranger
    nice choice of words you used.

Terrance Lee

Terrance9710 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so what u really saying ( in a way ) the bigger the box, the less power you need. sealed boxes has more power handling for subs, ported boxes has more SPL for subs...

Terrance Lee

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vented boxes are, by nature, more efficient than sealed ones. This means that it takes less power to push the sub to full xmax. Sealed boxes, especially those at the small end of the spectrum will allow the sub to take a lot more power without being damaged as compared to a vented box.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Closed Thread

User Tag List