Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much power is too much power?

RcRacerDrew is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much power is too much power?

Well I have all of my stuff for the bass end of my system. I have 2 Elemental Design K12"s and a Precision Power PCX-1500 with 2 1 farad caps. Im going to start building my box but i want to make sure i make proper modifications to my 97 Explorer Sports electrical system first. Running the 1000 watt amp and the 400 watt amp I plan to get for my door speakers...how big of an alternator will i need? Any ideas? Also, is it really neccessary to have a better battery? I just wanna get this done right...Thanks!

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was running roughly 1300watts rms with my new 120amp alt and stock battery voltage never dropped below 13volts.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Alphafrog1 is offline PURDUE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm gonna be running 1600 watts through my 120 amp alternator... i will let you know how that turns out

RcRacerDrew is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is 120amps stock? I know my headlights dim alot now with 3 8"s and 500 watts but I only have a .5 farad cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CAPS DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! having a .5 farat cap is putting more straing on your alternator than not having it. it's one more electrical device your car has to charge especially stock they don't do much. oh and no my 120amp alt. is a high output that i bought from mralternator. word from the wise being me and loyd, don't buy from him unless you have to alts. put out nothing like they should mine said it was 160 amp.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You might want to look at grainger. They sell industrial high output alts. I love them. But they only sell like large case gm and such.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

james33440 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a modded MMATS D300HC amp that I am running @ 2-ohms on a factory 100-amp alt. and never dropped below 12V. I think if you have an awesome amp, then I will be okay. However, if you want future upgrades, you are better off to get a HO alt, larger battery, and maybe a cap or 2. Oh, and don't forget to use 0/1 gauge wiring.

2001 Altima System:
    Alpine CDA-9855 (3Way Mode)
    Kicker Resolution RS6 Components (Active Setup)
    CDT Tweeter Image Enhancement Kit
    3 Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12's (Sealed)
    Kicker KX650.4
    Kicker KX1200.1 @ 0.67-ohm

My Video Thread

My CarDomain Rides

Alphafrog1 is offline PURDUE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i have a 92 toyota truck and it was hard as hell to find an alt for that. The best i could do was a 120 amp from mralternator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yo alpha does that thing actually put out 120amps?? like i said mine was stated at "160 high output" but only does like 115.

adam

KelBench400 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Adam,

Is that 115 amp output at idle? Because that's how they rate alternators. It won't put out the 160 amps until ~1500 rpms.

How did you measure it by the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it says it on the alternator my man. it tells you how many amps it puts out.

adam

KelBench400 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are you sure that isn't the stock rating before it was built up to the higher output?

I'm about order a GM 160 amp CS130D...stock it does 105 amps. It comes in the stock case and everything...the internals are just switched out.

Did you contact mralternator and ask? I'm only asking because besides you, everyone else seems to be satisfied. No offense or anything. I just want to know the real deal before I drop $200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh i never said i wasn't happy in any way shape or form dude. i am very happy before my voltage dropped down below 11 volts after the new alt. and 4 guage wire going from the alt. to battery it doesn't drop below 13.

adam

Closed Thread

User Tag List