Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: this installer deserves to be UNinstalled from car audio with this story he told me..

luvinthebass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon11 this installer deserves to be UNinstalled from car audio with this story he told me..

ok so i go to a car audio store out of my town yesterday after work and it's in a big city about 3 times the size of my town and i ask this guy about amps and it's power output to speakers(mainly subs) and i go if an amp says it puts out so and so watts for example 500 rms at 4 ohms then willl that amp put out that SAME power ALLL the time? and the guy thinks for a minute then responds "yeah it will do that, like with rap music and such" i don't think i can believe that, cuz music has alot of transients in it and the voltage is gon vary from high to low right? so theres no way of tellin how much power you get unless you do the gain tutorial and see how much your amp can produce at that frequency. anyways just a short bullshit car audio story again from me, i'm never goin to that car audio store again. lol and i did a test and set my amp on full range to see the difference in voltage at the same volume level as i had it on lowpass and the AC voltage was sooo much higher and actually hittin near it's supposedly said "200 rms at 4 ohms bridged, guess it all depends on the song and the bass it has. the amp to sub power issue has always been interestnig to me. lol just thought i'd share this story with you guys and my thoughts on it. most of you guys here i bet wish you had an amp that would do a certain number allllll the time but hey it's car audio and it can't be perfect, can only be close. and i don't even think music is recorded at 0 dbs if it would then our amps and subs would perform much better, thats just my opinion though, what your guys' thoughts on this? i'd like to know

SAG3 is offline ________

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: this installer deserves to be UNinstalled from car audio with this story he told me..

si senor

Volenti is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crest factor

If you take a given amplifier, let's say 100 watts and operate it just below clipping with music material, the "Crest Factor" of the amplifier's output is equivalent to the "Crest Factor" of the program material.

"Crest Factor" is the difference between the average level of the signal and its peak level. For example, a pure sine wave has a "crest factor" of 3dB, meaning that it's peak level is 3dB higher than its average level. We all know that 3dB represents a power factor of 2, so another way to look at it is that the peak power of the signal is twice that of its average level. So, if we play a sine wave on our 100 watt amplifier, just below its clipping level, the average power (over time) the speaker is needing to dissipate is 50 watts.

A true square wave, by comparison, has a crest factor of 0db, so it has equal average and peak power. Our 100 watt amplifier, playing a square wave, unclipped, into our speaker requires that the speaker dissipates 100 watts of power (twice the heat as a sine wave).

Music has a significantly higher crest factor than sine waves or square waves. A highly dynamic recording (Sheffield Lab, Chesky, etc.) typically has a crest factor of 20dB or more, meaning that its average power is 100 times lower than its peak power. So, if we play our 100 watt amplifier just below clipping with the typical audiophile recording our speaker is only needing to dissipate 1 watt of average power over time.

Modern commercial recordings typically exhibit crest factors of around 10dB, meaning that the average power is 10 times lower than the peak power. So, our 100 watt amp just below clipping would deliver an average power over time of 10 watts that the speaker has to dissipate.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: this installer deserves to be UNinstalled from car audio with this story he told me..

well that *****.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Crest factor

Quote Originally Posted by Volenti
    If you take a given amplifier, let's say 100 watts and operate it just below clipping with music material, the "Crest Factor" of the amplifier's output is equivalent to the "Crest Factor" of the program material.

"Crest Factor" is the difference between the average level of the signal and its peak level. For example, a pure sine wave has a "crest factor" of 3dB, meaning that it's peak level is 3dB higher than its average level. We all know that 3dB represents a power factor of 2, so another way to look at it is that the peak power of the signal is twice that of its average level. So, if we play a sine wave on our 100 watt amplifier, just below its clipping level, the average power (over time) the speaker is needing to dissipate is 50 watts.

A true square wave, by comparison, has a crest factor of 0db, so it has equal average and peak power. Our 100 watt amplifier, playing a square wave, unclipped, into our speaker requires that the speaker dissipates 100 watts of power (twice the heat as a sine wave).

Music has a significantly higher crest factor than sine waves or square waves. A highly dynamic recording (Sheffield Lab, Chesky, etc.) typically has a crest factor of 20dB or more, meaning that its average power is 100 times lower than its peak power. So, if we play our 100 watt amplifier just below clipping with the typical audiophile recording our speaker is only needing to dissipate 1 watt of average power over time.

Modern commercial recordings typically exhibit crest factors of around 10dB, meaning that the average power is 10 times lower than the peak power. So, our 100 watt amp just below clipping would deliver an average power over time of 10 watts that the speaker has to dissipate.
    Very nice info

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

ZeroGuage is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

an installer at local shop told me he hit 170db with 2 12" L7's another installer at a different local shop said his car has hit over 200 db but he got beat by someone at his last comp and that person that beat him was only using a 600 watt kenwood amp............. I talk to people all the time that get ripped off by these 2 shops repeatedly.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmm i wonder how much those 2 12'' L7's had to hit that decibal mark. *thinks deep*

thai_creeper is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvinthebass
    ok so i go to a car audio store out of my town yesterday after work and it's in a big city about 3 times the size of my town and i ask this guy about amps and it's power output to speakers(mainly subs) and i go if an amp says it puts out so and so watts for example 500 rms at 4 ohms then willl that amp put out that SAME power ALLL the time? and the guy thinks for a minute then responds "yeah it will do that, like with rap music and such" i don't think i can believe that, cuz music has alot of transients in it and the voltage is gon vary from high to low right? so theres no way of tellin how much power you get unless you do the gain tutorial and see how much your amp can produce at that frequency. anyways just a short bullshit car audio story again from me, i'm never goin to that car audio store again. lol and i did a test and set my amp on full range to see the difference in voltage at the same volume level as i had it on lowpass and the AC voltage was sooo much higher and actually hittin near it's supposedly said "200 rms at 4 ohms bridged, guess it all depends on the song and the bass it has. the amp to sub power issue has always been interestnig to me. lol just thought i'd share this story with you guys and my thoughts on it. most of you guys here i bet wish you had an amp that would do a certain number allllll the time but hey it's car audio and it can't be perfect, can only be close. and i don't even think music is recorded at 0 dbs if it would then our amps and subs would perform much better, thats just my opinion though, what your guys' thoughts on this? i'd like to know
    at first I thought he was going to tell you that the max power was continuous or something..if you want to get technical about it then yeah you're right but if my installer has a pretty good general knowledge about car audio and is real good at installing I think that's fine. I mighta missed something in your post, sorta just skimmed through it but yeah

References: flakko(bought from), psyrex(sold to)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol if he said the max power was continuous i would never get my **** installed at that store! then i'd call him a ****in moron and tell him i know more car audio **** then him.

supraman1379 is offline Loud 01 Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGuage
    an installer at local shop told me he hit 170db with 2 12" L7's another installer at a different local shop said his car has hit over 200 db but he got beat by someone at his last comp and that person that beat him was only using a 600 watt kenwood amp............. I talk to people all the time that get ripped off by these 2 shops repeatedly.
    200+db, is that even possible?

Ride: 2001 Ford Ranger
    Color: Red
    Head Unit: Kenwood 52x4
    Speaker Amp: JL Audio e4300
    Front Speakers: Kicker 4x6
    Rear Speakers: Stock
    Sub Amp: Bostwick 1100 (1100 RMS @ 1ohm)
    Subs : (2) Kicker CVR 15's
    Enclosure: 4.3 Cubes per chamber tuned o 32hz
    AudioControl - 145.9 dB
    TermLab Mic - 145.6, 146.0, 142.5(mic was messed up)
    Videos
    http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture009.flv
    http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...Picture011.flv

flakko is offline Veteran (my butt)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvinthebass
    so theres no way of tellin how much power you get unless you do the gain tutorial and see how much your amp can produce at that frequency.
    bah O-scope FTW!

1998 Acura TL 3.2L
    Crappy Sansui DVD player
    Stock Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hi ladies, my name is Wo-Hen Nankan"

"I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supraman1379
    200+db, is that even possible?
    tecnically no, DB limit is 194

toaster is offline Installer, since 1984

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes, 200+dbs is possible.
    194 is the sinusoidal limit of air, the point at which it transforms into shockwaves.

oh yeah, and tcabs 1 type r 10.

AIM: rustyself
    mecp certified first class installer
    former usac director
    some SX pron for ya of my ride:
    http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/REAudio/sx15.24.wmv
    Team Gates Memberhttp://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?im...matruck6ib.jpg
    just a lil history lesson about the evolution of modern spl vehicles:
    http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bi.../t/006331.html
    old school. word.

Rsx_03 is offline LoW aNd sLoW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: this installer deserves to be UNinstalled from car audio with this story he told

some noob i know with 2x g5's says he hits in the 160's and this guy at his old store hit 220db ... that bs and max watts is very anoying

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

lol @ 220 DB.

pretty sure that would kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by iamamp3pimp
    lol @ 220 DB.

pretty sure that would kill him.

seeing how its only possible underwater or so...

I am teh win for quoting myself, in my post, about what i just said

www.BassHeadsENT.net for all your custom enclosure needs
    Offering build service and expertise in the Tampa area as well as enclosures shipped nationwide!
    Robin@BassHeadsENT.net

Check this thread for all the build logs being posted.
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/suppo...ks-thread.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast