Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need 2 subs to push 1000 watts - best choice?

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need 2 subs to push 1000 watts - best choice?

My old system got jacked awhile back, so I unfortunately had to start all over. I've already replaced head unit, interior speakers, amp for interior speakers, and my sub amp. My local car audio shop Rolling Thunder went out of business, and I got a Crossfire BMF1000D for 350, it pushes 1000x1 at 1 ohms.

The problem is, I already have a custom box built for my trunk that fits perfectly, and it holds two 12's. I wanted to get an IDMAX12, but I would have to build a whole new box, and I'm really not interested in doing that again, but I might, i'm not sure yet. My question is, I need a pair of 12's that push around 1000+ total, so at least 500+ RMS per sub, and they have to be able to produce a 1ohm load, so preferably 4 ohm DVC (wire subs individually in parallel, then parallel to the amp). I'm looking to spend around 250-300 per sub. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how many cubic feet is your box?

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

limitkid7 is offline sell wite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check out eclipse subs there 12 dvc is 500 watts rms....

jlw6v2 rms is - 400

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mtx 8000 is 400

rf got i think hx series rms is 500

diamond audio tdx rms is think is 600 or 700

hummmmm can't think of anything else closer

let me knwo what u get

---
    White Dodge Charger 3.5L V6
    Diablo Predator

Alpine d310 TV
    Set of Focal Polyglass 6.5 Comps
    Set of Infinity Perfect 6.5 Comps
    1 JL Audio 300.4
    1 JL Audio 1000.1
    2 9510 mtx subs

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can't really suggest subs for a guy until you know how big the box is. if his box is like 5cuft then the HX series by RF would sound even worse then they typically do b/c those subs like a smaller box. so i say let us know the kind of sound you want as in a split between sq/spl and how big your box is ported sealed and what not.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can't really suggest subs for a guy until you know how big the box is. if his box is like 5cuft then the HX series by RF would sound even worse then they typically do b/c those subs like a smaller box. so i say let us know the kind of sound you want as in a split between sq/spl and how big your box is ported sealed and what not.
    The Box is sealed, about 1.25 cubic ft per chamber. I built the box like any other normal box to keep the size of the chambers down, then added extensions on the sides and top to custom fit into my trunk and covered it in carpet.

I'm looking to get more SQ as I am just a daily driver, but I want my amp to be able to easily push the subs. Many of the subs mentioned so far are 300-400 RMS, which is not enough. I was looking at Diamond Audio, specifically the CM3, the 12D4's push 500 RMS, which is ideal for my amp. Anybody have experience with these subs? If so, how do thy perform?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 11-14-2002 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DUDE,
    I'm running two punch hx-2's and they are in a 1.25 box and being pushed by an orion extreme pro 1000, they sound great, hard hitting and plenty of sound quality to go around. I can't stress how great they sound and pound in a sealed box. Now here is the bonus.......www.ikesound.com has them on sale for $139 and no shipping, trust me you will love them. Rockford just won the spl competition again and get this.....three first place finishes for sound quality, check it out for yourself.
    www.rockfordfosgate.com
    Last edited by crispy highs; 11-14-2002 at 06:14 PM.

Make it better......

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    shiva.....600w/sub $125/sub; 1.25ft^3; dual 8ohm voice coils...wired in parallel only a 2ohm load.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree, I'd take a pair of shivas over hx2's anyday. Not only because they're a better sub, also because I don't like rockford

2000 Dodge Neon

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Goddyd4me
    shiva.....600w/sub $125/sub; 1.25ft^3; dual 8ohm voice coils...wired in parallel only a 2ohm load.....
    ROCKFORD FOSGATE HX -2, DUAL 4OHM, GIVES HIM A 1OHM LOAD.......PERFECT FOR HIS AMP........

Make it better......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by violator5spd
    I agree, I'd take a pair of shivas over hx2's anyday. Not only because they're a better sub, also because I don't like rockford
    DON'T LISTEN TO THIS CLOWN, HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A SYSTEM...

Make it better......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excuse my crusty, this is *clown* speaking. Have you ever heard Shiva subs before? I doubt it, so how do you know what's better? You're just one of those little Rockford boys that think they're subs are better than all others well you're wrong.

P.S. I just sold my system to a friend :p

2000 Dodge Neon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mr. Violator,
    I have to give you that one.....I have never heard the shiva's, but that isn't the point, the point is to match this persons amp with compatable subs and so far they match perfectly or at least more so than the others. And while we're at the thinking that rockfords are better.........they are better, just go to any sound off and listen for yourself.
    I'm sure the shiva's sound good, but neither of the ones mentioned matches up better for the price than the hx-2's, that's all I'm saying. If shiva's are so good then why is it such a great secret?......
    Even if I was to choose another woofer it would be the best kept secret and that's the armagedon by koves....... They are also hard hitting and have superior sound quality........"HEARD OF THOSE?" .......
    Last edited by crispy highs; 11-14-2002 at 09:51 PM.

Make it better......

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DUDE,
    I'm running two punch hx-2's and they are in a 1.25 box and being pushed by an orion extreme pro 1000, they sound great, hard hitting and plenty of sound quality to go around. I can't stress how great they sound and pound in a sealed box. Now here is the bonus.......www.ikesound.com has them on sale for $139 and no shipping, trust me you will love them. Rockford just won the spl competition again and get this.....three first place finishes for sound quality, check it out for yourself.
    www.rockfordfosgate.com
    DUDE,
    Do you work for Rockford or something? You're pushing their product like it's no joke. I know how RF dealers work, I used to work at Best Buy in mobile installation - and I'm sure as you all know, Best Buy is Rockford CRAZY. My boss encouraged me to sell as many RF products as possible, he even told me to lie when customers tried to compare RF to other products, such as JL or any products they dont carry. The point is, I'm not a fan of them. They're great if youre looking to get a decent system for cheap, but I've installed PLENTY of them and they all distorted like it's nobodys business. Maybe you think that is "pounding" but in my opinion, its not. No offense or anything, I just wouldn't waste my money on RF. If you like your system, then more power to ya

And while we're at the thinking that rockfords are better.........they are better, just go to any sound off and listen for yourself.
    I've been to plenty of sound-offs and SPL competitions......never once did I see RF products, except maybe an amp.

If shiva's are so good then why is it such a great secret?......
    1) Because they are not mass produced and shipped to retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City.
    2) They are basically an internet-only retailer.....although a local shop about 3 hours from my house did just start to carry them.

Anyways, back to the original topic at hand. I'm looking at the Shivas at AmpMan, and i see theyre dual 8 ohm, so wiring them in straight parallel would only result in a 2 ohm load, and my amp only pushes 500x1 at 2 ohms. I'm highly considering getting a Brahma or IDMAX12, and building a new box for my trunk. My current box has a 5 inch drop on the top with a piece of fiberglass on top of it which housed my old amp, but the Crossfire doesn't fit in there, so if I used the old box I'd have to do some surgery to get the amp to fit, so I might as well just build a whole new box. What are everyones thoughts on the Brahma vs the IDMAX12? I've heard IDQ subs before, and they were f***ing nice, but never the MAX, although I assume it's nothing less than spectacular. Anybody hear whos heard both of them and can run down the differences? (Remember i'm looking for SQ more than SPL, I already have 300 watts going through my interior speakers and i'll have 1000 watts from whatever sub I get, so i'm more interested in quality than loudness, 1300 is more than enough for a daily driver)

Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 11-14-2002 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    AWW MAN,
    I was looking out for you and you shot me dead.......
    That's ok though. So you sold fosgate before, but it was all lower end products cause at best buy they only go as far up as HE's. HX's though are a different breed, woofers distort because of incorrect installs or lower end amps that have less shielding around the internal wires. I understand you don't care for them, so I hope you're happy with your decision.........

Make it better......

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Tag List