Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking for 10" Sub with Small Enclosure and Little Power

I'm looking for 1 10" woofer that will need to work really well in a sealed enclosure between 0.35 and 0.38 cubic feet. Unfortunately, this shall remain a constant so this is all the space I have to work with.

I'm bridging the rear channels of a Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4, so the woofer would see around 220 wrms. Ideally, I'd like to find a sub that would work well with my current amp/power and enclosure.

I've tried an Eclipse SW6000 (http://www.eclipse-web.com/sw6000/sw6200.html), as well as a JL Audio 10W1v2 (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...?series_id=15), and quite frankly, neither satisfy me at all.

I think my enclosure may be too small for the Eclipse, and I'm not so sure about the JL. However, I do feel that I'm feeding the 10W1v2 more than enough power, but not so sure about the Eclipse. Ultimately, I'm not happy with either one.

2 subs come to mind, but I'm not sure if these are good candidates or not. One, the new Pioneer TS-SW1041D (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...969808,00.html) and the SoundSplinter RL-i10.

Based on my experiences with the Eclipse and JL, are my expectations just not realistic given the fact that I have to work with such a small enclosure, and/or do I need some major power?

I'd love to make my current amp work and that would be ideal financially, but I guess if my experience and expectations won't be satisified unless I get more power with either a stronger multi-channel amp (Alpine PDX-4.150??) or a dedicated mono-amp for the woofer, please let me know.

I'd really love to hear your guys' feedback!

Thanks!

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: Looking for 10" Sub with Small Enclosure and Little Power

eD 11ov.2
    used low power and a real small box.....
    http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...b=Apps&cur=USD

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The enclosure requirements for the Rl-i are tiny, but if you are that limited on space, just getting the driver itself into the space you have to work with might be impossible. The basket and motor structure on that beast are HUGE.

What about the Eclipse and the JL disappointed you? The SQ, the output, both? If the output is the problem, I think that you are going to be SOL. You will be hard pressed to get a ton of output from any sub that will work in that tiny amount of space, regardless of how much power you give it. If SQ is the problem, you might want to look at an 8. There are several 8's out there that can work wih that amount of space and don't need much power.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

JawKnee is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    The enclosure requirements for the Rl-i are tiny, but if you are that limited on space, just getting the driver itself into the space you have to work with might be impossible. The basket and motor structure on that beast are HUGE.

What about the Eclipse and the JL disappointed you? The SQ, the output, both? If the output is the problem, I think that you are going to be SOL. You will be hard pressed to get a ton of output from any sub that will work in that tiny amount of space, regardless of how much power you give it. If SQ is the problem, you might want to look at an 8. There are several 8's out there that can work wih that amount of space and don't need much power.
    I'm almost positive that one of the SoundSplinter offerings will work, just not sure which one.

I think the output is what disappoints me the most and I agree with you, that I may be indeed SOL.

I have one option that I really don't like, and that is to move the woofer to another area where I can probably get a sealed enclosure around 0.5 cubic feet. With 0.5 cubic feet, do you think I still will be disappointed in terms of output?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What are the dimensions of the area you plan on putting the enclosure in?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Closed Thread

User Tag List