Closed Thread

Reload Thread: kinda wanting more SPL from a pair of 12"s

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

kinda wanting more SPL from a pair of 12"s

alright anyone who reads my system post knows i hit a 145.9 on the dash with a pair of overdrive 12"s in a 4.5 cuft sealed box. i am very happy with it b/c i didn't spend much at all on the box or subs but now i wanna take those subs out of the box and put in a pair of something else that can be ran down to a 1ohm mono setup in 4.5cuft box but for ported design. i really want more SPL but don't want to spend a ton of money on the pair. i was thinking maybe a pair of elemental K series or something along those lines. any suggestions as to what would be louder than my overdrive's and not too much money would be great help. suggest anything guys help your SPL brotha out you bass heads. thanks in advance.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Something by Digital designs??

J

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Have you tried the porting the box you have with the subs you have ? Run the numbers through winisd. And see what comes up. It's worth a try

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another fantastic idea. What is ur box constructed of Bumpin??

J

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my box is made of the only material worth using in my opinion. 3/4" mdf with fiberglass resin to seal the deal. only stuff i will use in making a box is the combo of those two along with wood glue and screws other than that nothing really. to ramos about making it ported, would i have to rip the top of the box off of it and then port it or how would i go about doing that?? the other option my buddy was talking about is cutting another sheet of wood for a single DD3515 like i own port that and try that???

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    No you could use Loyds dreaded round ports JUst cut a hole for the port and glue it in. The dd would be a good one to play with also.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah my buddy suggested that but then i got to thinking, why not build a 6.5 cuft box for a single DD 3515 and port that sucker. that way i could have my "SQ" setup that hit's mid 140's and go all out SPL with a single DD3515 see waht i can hit. how does that sound to you guys?? that way i have the best of both worlds plus i can switch my setup around for if i want that low end bass that makes your stomach curl up

adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Now ya talking. I am a one sub man myself. I love going to local run what ya brung contest with one sub. And destroying somebody with moe

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you think that single DD would be louder than my pair of overdrives? i am most likely going to get my buddy to build it the smae guy who built my box for the overdrives. the 145.9 wasn't even a burp though so i'm actually surprised. we just played a song that went through bass notes and kept rising until it hit like 40ish htz. and said 145.9 then started to go down. i'm thinking a burp on those woofers with the right freq. note might break 146 but i'm not sure.

adam

black00 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my teamate uses 2 digital audio 12's in a box i built ....about 6.86 cubes(before displacement) with a 156 sq inch of port tuned to 49Hz burpin at 51hz with a RE 35.1 doin 153's....not bad for $75 dollar subs and $369 amp.....with $20 in wood and $5 in screws and liquid nail........... in an explorer...

14.5inches tall..... 24 inches deep.....42inches wide....
    Last edited by black00; 10-18-2002 at 11:29 AM.

Dangerous and Unstable....
    I am probably one of the guys that inspired you.....
    Every one of ya'll means everything to me, we bleed for ya'll, das why we call it Fam-i-ly......

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah that is a **** respectable score that's for sure. i won my subs in an auction for $20, 150 for the box including material, and 300 for my amp so i am happy with a 145.9 from a sealed box. i figure if i burp it i might get an upper 146 but i have no idea seeing as how i know nothing about that stuff.

adam

black00 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
    yeah that is a **** respectable score that's for sure. i won my subs in an auction for $20, 150 for the box including material, and 300 for my amp so i am happy with a 145.9 from a sealed box. i figure if i burp it i might get an upper 146 but i have no idea seeing as how i know nothing about that stuff.

adam
    hmm...the blaus don't really have much throw to them...but you'll definatly raise your eff a good bit by porting.... then you'll grow out of them.....by time or by force..one of the two... DO IT...build a ported box....and beat em for all they are worth....it'll be awsome to hammer them paper weights till they smoke.....

I'm right there with you man...BEAT ON EM!!!!

Dangerous and Unstable....
    I am probably one of the guys that inspired you.....
    Every one of ya'll means everything to me, we bleed for ya'll, das why we call it Fam-i-ly......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just be sure to follow the bouncing cones

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

jtmoney is offline i DiDn'T dO iT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    a score like that from a sealed pair, especially a lower end sub (pls dont take offence) is an indication of a **** fine box, especially, when you consder, again its SEALED!!!!!!!!

well, i only just my 2 dd3512s, sealed, gettin abused by a 9.0d zapco yesterday evening & i love em a great companion for my IDHorns

if ure on a budget, try K series.i havent heard any myself, but apparenly their reputation is a good un....if not, DD it

kaosmoon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ask Loyd and Nick if the K's get loud

Ben

get out of your box.

Closed Thread