Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Infinity Kappa Crossover? Help please

SpeeDFX is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Infinity Kappa Crossover? Help please

just got some Kappa's (6.5) for front and 6x9's for the back. They come with this "infinity crossover" that i'm supposed to install with the speakers, between the speakers and the amp. If i dont install this crossover that came with my speakers, the instructions say "excluding, or replacing with another type" can cause harm to the speakers. the crossovers dont say anything about freq on them.

My question is..
    Is it safe to install a 3way crossover? Is it better to install a 3 way crossover (as opposed to bass blockers)?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Infinity Kappa Crossover? Help please

Originally posted by SpeeDFX
    just got some Kappa's (6.5) for front and 6x9's for the back. They come with this "infinity crossover" that i'm supposed to install with the speakers, between the speakers and the amp. If i dont install this crossover that came with my speakers, the instructions say "excluding, or replacing with another type" can cause harm to the speakers. the crossovers dont say anything about freq on them.

My question is..
    Is it safe to install a 3way crossover? Is it better to install a 3 way crossover (as opposed to bass blockers)?

Yes and in a way yes The 3 way crossover that came with your speakers will be better than the bass blockers, if for no other reason it was specificaly designed to work with your speakers.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

SpeeDFX is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    noo, I didn't say it was a 3 way crossover...it is a crossover that says nothing on it, just a little box you wire between the speakers and amp

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It still better than using bass blockers. With bass blockers you have to choose preset cuttoff frequencies. The crossover cut's out all of the guesswork. It's designed for your particular speakers.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

bean is offline DIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    use the Infinity crossovers. They've spent a lot of time "matching" that crossover to the speakers. They will make the two "blend" and sound a ton better.

h2dav is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the truth

Leave the crosover exactly where they say. That is there to seperate the frequecy for the tweeters in your 6x9's the reason they say don't replace it is because it also gives you a 4ohm load if you wire them directly to an amp the 8ohm load for each will make them sound like crap. You should also add a crossover or set the one on your amp to 100 HZ for the 6x9's and 150HZ for the components this was recomend to me by infinity I have the perfects but the speakers are almost identical

Closed Thread