Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help! Strange metallic noise coming from my sub (Eclipse 12" Ti)

BradJ is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help! Strange metallic noise coming from my sub (Eclipse 12" Ti)

Hey, I've been running a 12" Eclipse Ti off an Orion 1200D for a few weeks now with no problems. Today I noticed this very distinct metallic pinging/rattling noise coming from the sub. Actually to be honest I don't know how long it's been happening, cause I just happen to put my seat down today and heard the noise.

I turned the gain all the way down, bypassed the DSP on the deck (Kenwood XXV-01D) and played some test tones. I set the volume at 25/35 and the noise was there from 20Hz-32Hz. At 26/35 it was audible to 35Hz, and so on.

Then I played some regular bass tracks and again it seemed to surface at lower frequencies. When I played the music the volume was at 20/35 and the sub was barely moving, but I could still hear the noise...

I checked the box (1.25 ft^3 sealed) and the hole where the wire comes out wasn't really sealed...fixed that and it still makes the noise. Pulled the sub out and checked the resistance on each coil, read 3.1 Ohms...they're supposed to be 4. What does this mean?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

GI JOEY is offline Paid 4 by ur tax $

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help! Strange metallic noise coming from my sub (Eclipse 12" Ti)

the bascet /cone thing migh tbe loose. These are removable and I had one that was loose on mine when they showed up.

New Build 2001 Silverado 2500HD
    JBL Crown BPX2200.1, RE SE 10" quartet, .25 fiberglass, .75 mdf box. 5.2 cubes tuned to under 32 with 3 4" aeros.
    Truck 96 Silverado blowthrough
    JL W6v2 12" X 4, JL 1000/1 X 2, 141.5 DB drag 1st comp and no testing 148.8 db @ 53hz Outlaw

Bought from: wone

mtdewelf is offline addicted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help! Strange metallic noise coming from my sub (Eclipse 12" Ti)

Quote Originally Posted by BradJ
    Hey, I've been running a 12" Eclipse Ti off an Orion 1200D for a few weeks now with no problems. Today I noticed this very distinct metallic pinging/rattling noise coming from the sub. Actually to be honest I don't know how long it's been happening, cause I just happen to put my seat down today and heard the noise.

I turned the gain all the way down, bypassed the DSP on the deck (Kenwood XXV-01D) and played some test tones. I set the volume at 25/35 and the noise was there from 20Hz-32Hz. At 26/35 it was audible to 35Hz, and so on.

Then I played some regular bass tracks and again it seemed to surface at lower frequencies. When I played the music the volume was at 20/35 and the sub was barely moving, but I could still hear the noise...

I checked the box (1.25 ft^3 sealed) and the hole where the wire comes out wasn't really sealed...fixed that and it still makes the noise. Pulled the sub out and checked the resistance on each coil, read 3.1 Ohms...they're supposed to be 4. What does this mean?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    welcome to CA.com to start. if your coils aren't reading right you have a problem. did you check them while playing music or just sitting somewhere outta your box? getting a different reading with music wouldn't be outta the norm.

Human cloning is outlawed because if Chuck Norris were cloned, then it would be possible for a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to meet another chuck Norris roundhouse kick. Physicists theorize that this contact would end the universe.

Closed Thread