Closed Thread

Reload Thread: possble sub blown, help please

PepsiFiend69 is offline snatchbuckler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

possble sub blown, help please

ok so i noticed that my subs we'rent as loud as they were, and i thought maybe it was just a mental thing like it is sometimes. but just in case i popped my trunk, and pushed on one of my subs, there was a very very very very slight scratching noise, like the noise that happens when you blow i sub, but it is nothing like a blown sub feeling, it was just very slight. on my box i have the port on the left side and the sub on the right always moved way more than the one on the left closest the the port, and this was the one that im having trouble with. can anyone help me? im going to pull them out tommorow and look for a blown coil what does a blown coil look like? im sure this sounds stupid, but i need some help. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
    True, but Honda's offer little to no help in the pursuit of the elusive N. American Beaver.

stones is offline Senior member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: possible sub blown, help please

Sniff the vent on the back of the sub, if you get hit with a horrendous odor like burnt sugar there is probably thermal damage to the coil.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: possble sub blown, help please

it doesnt smell at all, it just doesn't seem to play as loud, it kinda does this on and off everyonce and awhile, im thinking either lose connections or the weather affects it.

True, but Honda's offer little to no help in the pursuit of the elusive N. American Beaver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Temperature will have strong effect on subs, is the difference noticed only when it gets cold?.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont really remember come to think of it now, all i know is that it had been a little warmer a few days back and it would hit really hard, and i could drive with my windows down which made it hit even harder, the thing that concerned me was the slight scratching when i pushed it in, maybe it had always been there and i never noticed it, im gonna build a new box tommoroow and see if that makes a diffrence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiFiend69
    i dont really remember come to think of it now, all i know is that it had been a little warmer a few days back and it would hit really hard, and i could drive with my windows down which made it hit even harder, the thing that concerned me was the slight scratching when i pushed it in, maybe it had always been there and i never noticed it, im gonna build a new box tommoroow and see if that makes a diffrence.
    Its normal for the coil to scratch a little bit if you press down on the cone off center, its when you press on the exact center and it scratches that is abnormal.
    Try a 9volt battery on the terminal and see if it still does it.

Cold weather causes all the soft parts of a sub to stiffen and will lessen its sensitivity, being from Canada I can say for certain that there is a huge difference in subwoofer performance when the temperature get really low. Even the siren on my car alarm will chirp differently in the extreme cold (sounds kinda funny too like a squeak).

DrMurdock is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i noticeds that too. i live in nyc. last night was pretty cold and i realized my sub didnt play anywhere near as loud as it did only 2 days ago

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, it must just be the cold weather...its just weird because they move as much as they did they're just not as loud, maybe it has to do with the air density? i dont know, thanks for the help, i was scared there for a minute lol

Closed Thread