Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Head unit causing SUBS to blow??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Head unit causing SUBS to blow??

I am having a lot of problems with my JLw3's blowing..I think some of the problem might be due to having a bad HU..I have a Kenwood KDC-4019..It seem to be distorting the subs...Do you think the HU could be causing this..My amp is set correct for the subs plus its not ****** amp its a Phoneix Gold qx 900.1...I know the subs aren't the best..But I've blown 4 subs in a month in a half..Something is got to be wrong somewhere...I put the bass on 0 and dont turn the HU real high and it still makes the subs pop and flap and then they BLOW..All wires and grounds have been check I can't seem to find the problem other than the Head unit! Thanks for any help u give

Blake

JL subs no longer for sale

Going to get two 12" MA audio xl comps...another experimental system setup..They should prove better than the JL's

lcpunk69 is offline SQ Baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe your amp is too powerful

JLAudioEXTREME is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It has a 50x4 output HU..Would u say thas too much?

Going to get two 12" MA audio xl comps...another experimental system setup..They should prove better than the JL's

lcpunk69 is offline SQ Baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lol not your H/U your H/U doesnt power your subs at all, atleast I hope not so 50x4 isn't even relevent. I meant your Sub Amps. is it 900W RMS X 1? Is your gain too high up?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lol..Sorry I didn't read what you wrote too good...yes that is the amps output...I run my subs series running a 2-ohm load...I have my gains set to the right setting due to the subs 250 rms..Thats not whats blowing the subs I don't believe

swimfreak26 is offline I am cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why do you use such a large amp if your subs can't handle that much?

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    series would produce a higher ohm rating than 2 ohms ....if you could let us know how everything is wired that would be a bit more helpful....also give us the info on the speakers...what ohm are your subs rated at...and all that...i would probably bet that the amp is to powerfull for your subs unless you have them actually wired in series which would lower the ohm level that the amp see's which lowers the power...what ohm level does your amp put out 900x1

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Subs have a 250RMS...They are wired in series which turns out to be parralell to the subs which would produce a 2-ohm load..The subs are d2's so they have to be run on a 2-ohm load..But all my gains are set low due to this

rco8786 is offline Studmuffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    why don't u turn the gain on ur amp down?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My gain is down..But the place I get my subs at they ALWAYS put used subs in the car..They have never been new...Finally teh last time they put new ones in..But with a blown amp I got to wait until I can get a new amp..I am thinking of trading my w3's in for 2 12" MA audio xl comps...They can easily handle my amp..Would u say these subs are good/bad? Are they pretty loud? Compared to my Jlw3's I would say so..lol

Blake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't necessarily say that he is giving them too much power. I've seen the W3's handle 500 Wrms with no problem. It's possible your h/u is transmitting bad signals, but I wouldn't necessarily say that a bad signal can destroy a sub, most likely it is a power thing. If you have an extra h/u lying around throw it in, or borrow a friends just to eliminate the thought. Other than that, it's gotta be in the wiring. I'm not very familiar with PG amps, but you say your running a 2 ohm load.......how much Rms does your amp put out @ 2 ohms.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    900x

wolfey is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so your amp is 900 watts rms at 2 ohms right? THat means 450 per speaker. PG probably underrates there amps so it might be more like 500+ watts per sub. THats pushing your subs 200 watts more than they are supposed to take which cuold be the problem. I also have heard of people running w3's above 250 but you have to be careful when doing that. I blew infinity perfects like crazy with my mtx 81000d when i'd heard of other people doing it with no problem. I think i just had my gains up too high. BUt when you are overpowering subs you run the risk of blowing them every time you push them hard. Get some new subs.. MA might be alright.. but i did notice something interesting.. i used to go on an ma audio forum when i had an MA audio amp and there were lots of people on the forum posting. I went a few weeks back to find out about some subwoofer i saw and there was hardly anybody on there anymore.. that might say something about them in general.. but who knows. I think for awhile they had a little bandwagon started but people are quickly jumping off and making the switch to other companies like adire,DD etc. If it helps to know, the MA audio amp was weak. bumpin blazer will disagree but thats just cus he still has his amp, i already got rid of mine.

brahma 12 in 1.9 cf ported enclosure tuned to an ugly 38hz..

REVO amp
    stock speakers in the front..

looking to upgrade..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True..I got PROS to install my system..They don't do such a good job..I told them they needed to change the wiring..But my bud has a tantrum 1200.1 amp running 2-ohm load and has had no probs..But he has the stock HU in his s-10zr2..DD really has had a boom..It used to have hardly anbody who knew about them...Bad thing about here subs there not real musical..lol..They have enough spiders on them....I just signed up for the MA audio forumns today..your right there is like NOBODY on there..last posts were like a **** week ago..I thought that was odd too..But hey JL is the biggest seller or car audio..ANd what does that tell ya?

Blake

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by JLAudioEXTREME
    True..I got PROS to install my system..They don't do such a good job..I told them they needed to change the wiring..But my bud has a tantrum 1200.1 amp running 2-ohm load and has had no probs..But he has the stock HU in his s-10zr2..DD really has had a boom..It used to have hardly anbody who knew about them...Bad thing about here subs there not real musical..lol..They have enough spiders on them....I just signed up for the MA audio forumns today..your right there is like NOBODY on there..last posts were like a **** week ago..I thought that was odd too..But hey JL is the biggest seller or car audio..ANd what does that tell ya?

Blake
    Speaking of Matt, what kinda subs DOES he have in there??? They sound nice...but they don't prevent him from hitting light poles.

Semi Retired SPL Master
    Review Commitee Organizer
    Team CarAudio.com Captain

147.3 Termlab

Stereo Integrity/Memphis/Pioneer/Optima/JL

2003 NSPL Regular Cab Record Holder

Big Thanks to Loyd Lowry and Nick Lemons from Stereo Integrity

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast