Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How do i make a ported box???

Big-Cat is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do i make a ported box???

ok, i decided on a XXX. i'm gonna get a 12, and i took some measurements of my trunk and had my dad help me and we found that i can build a box with a volume of ~ 7.29^3 ft or a box with a volume of ~ 6.07^3 ft.(and we could always make it less)
    however, i don't know the mounting height of a XXX(I couldn't find it on their website) and would i have enough room to mount the sub in the box so it would be firing towards the back of the car? And another question, my dad says that we'll need something to support the magnet of the subwoofer. Is this true, if so, what could we use? Also, i want to port the box, but i don't know how to tune a box, can someone please explain how or what i need to do to port the box and tune it to like 33hz?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone up for helping?

adamawayfrommpa is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok lets start with your first question...the mounting height...I don't know either but you will know for sure once you get the sub.(users manual). 2nd. support the mag...if the sub is firing up as in towards the clouds then I would say no you don't need a support but if the sub is firing in a direction other than up or down it couldn't hurt to use a small piece of strong fishing wire...(something small enough that it won't affect the sound waves in the box)...but I haven't seen this needed before. The basket is made to support the wieght of the sub's mag.. 3rd question: You seem to be able to calculate the volume of box so this part will be ez. You will tune the box by cutting or making the port the proper length according to the diameter of the port and to the volume of the box. I won't bother you with the formula(I forgot it) but if you start a new thread and ask for port tuning programs you should get more than a few answers..I used to have a good one but this is a new hard drive and I have forgotten where online I found it......The program(software) will allow you to enter the boxes volume and the diameter of the ports you want. Then you can enter the HZ that you want and let it calculate the length to make the ports....some programs want you to enter the port length and then it tells you what HZ will be created...this is ok also (if you don't mind using the guess and check method)
    feel free to send me a message if you find a program online...(I'm going to look myself now)
    Adam Chandler
    Last edited by adamawayfrommpa; 09-18-2002 at 08:14 PM.

http://images.andale.com/f2/107/107/3245322/1013574468219_744337.gif

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey, thanks man. you've really helped out

chinxtaboi is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    buildin a ported box huh....