Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need advice on a set of speakers

Allright. I'm picking out a system for my new car (1990 Audii Quattro Coupe), and and looking for advice on a set of mids. I'm going to use 6.5s if I can fit them somewhere, but I may end up having to use 5.25s

Here's my criteria

1) Must have excellellent Midbass in a free air setup (doors).

2) They have to provide good sound and imaging in the doors with the tweeters mounted near the speakers (in other words, good off-axis response).

3) Either must be a component set, or coaxial with a separate tweeter (i.e. CDT braxials or IID chameleons).

4) Excellent bang for the buck. Willing to spend an easy 300USD, but I'd consider the MB Quart QSD if I'm convinced it's by far the best for the job)

Any solid recommendations would be much appreciated.

nismo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need advice on a set of speakers

Originally posted by afroide
    Allright. I'm picking out a system for my new car (1990 Audii Quattro Coupe), and and looking for advice on a set of mids. I'm going to use 6.5s if I can fit them somewhere, but I may end up having to use 5.25s

Here's my criteria

1) Must have excellellent Midbass in a free air setup (doors).

2) They have to provide good sound and imaging in the doors with the tweeters mounted near the speakers (in other words, good off-axis response).

3) Either must be a component set, or coaxial with a separate tweeter (i.e. CDT braxials or IID chameleons).

4) Excellent bang for the buck. Willing to spend an easy 300USD, but I'd consider the MB Quart QSD if I'm convinced it's by far the best for the job)

Any solid recommendations would be much appreciated.
    NICE car. im wanting to get one of them eventually...cuz i love my 82 4000 sedan...yeah it doesnt compare to the coupe quatt's, but its still a good car.

as for speakers--i absolutely LOVE the 6 1/2" HD series from cdt...even with the standard tweet. their tweets are smooth--as are the mids, have tons of midbass, and arent lacking in any area as far as i can tell.

quarts arent too bad, but they lack in midbass...might try morel or rainbow...

best advice, is to go out and listen to whatever you can. if you like smooth tweets, and ungodly amounts of midbass (on command ) the morels are a good choice. you can always make your own component set too...jlaine was talking about doing that, but i dunno if he ever actually got them. he'd be the one to talk to if youre interested in that.

eric

WANG MOON PRODUCTIONS, inc.

overpecker & audiomobile's biggests ANTI-fan

CLASS 'D' AMPS ARE NOT DIGITAL!!!! YOU WILL GET FLAMED BY SOMEONE...EVEN IF ITS NOT ME.

afroide is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah.. the CDTs are sounding like a good option, but I don't want to rush out and spend 400 USD before I've considered my options.

The making your own set idea sounds ideal in some ways. The only problem is that I am after simplicity. The system will likely be head unit, a set of components, 1 12" sub, 1 monoblock class D amp, and 1 2 channel amp (amps under the seats).

If I have enough room under the seats for a good 4ch amp, then that may become an option. I suspect that with a bit of research and ingenuity, the home-grown option would easily yield the best bang for the buck. I still suspect I'll go with the component set though.
    Last edited by afroide; 09-09-2002 at 04:31 PM.

nismo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by afroide
    Yeah.. the CDTs are sounding like a good option, but I don't want to rush out and spend 400 USD before I've considered my options.

The making your own set idea sounds ideal in some ways. The only problem is that I am after simplicity. The system will likely be head unit, a set of components, 1 12" sub, 1 monoblock class D amp, and 1 2 channel amp (amps under the seats).

If I have enough room under the seats for a good 4ch amp, then that may become an option. I suspect that with a bit of research and ingenuity, the home-grown option would easily yield the best bang for the buck. I still suspect I'll go with the component set though.
    dont count out a homebrew set just b/c its not premade. if you got a small 4 channel amp instead of a larger 2 channel (for example 75x4 instead of 100x2...etc) you could do all your xovers in the active domain, and with a little tweakin, youd be good.

you can spend less total money, and get something that sounds as good or better.

eric

WANG MOON PRODUCTIONS, inc.

overpecker & audiomobile's biggests ANTI-fan

CLASS 'D' AMPS ARE NOT DIGITAL!!!! YOU WILL GET FLAMED BY SOMEONE...EVEN IF ITS NOT ME.

Closed Thread

User Tag List