Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Focal or Diamond Audio???

StreetAvalanche is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Focal or Diamond Audio???

Hey , i need help on deciding between Focal or Diamond Audio components.

I think i am going to replace the front door speakers with
    if i go with Focal either

1. Focal 165K 2-way components
    or
    2. Focal 165V3 3-way components
    OR
    if i go with diamond audio
    1. S600s 2-way components

For Rear doors either

1.Focal 165HC coaxials
    or
    2.Diamond Audio M361I

i would like to get opinions on these. I am not really going to be doing any competing or anything feel free to make suggestions. I plan on using these with a pioneer 8400 head unit and a kicker kx600.4 or something similiar.

2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1

nismo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Focal or Diamond Audio???

Originally posted by StreetAvalanche
    Hey , i need help on deciding between Focal or Diamond Audio components.

I think i am going to replace the front door speakers with
    if i go with Focal either

1. Focal 165K 2-way components
    or
    2. Focal 165V3 3-way components
    OR
    if i go with diamond audio
    1. S600s 2-way components

For Rear doors either

1.Focal 165HC coaxials
    or
    2.Diamond Audio M361I

i would like to get opinions on these. I am not really going to be doing any competing or anything feel free to make suggestions. I plan on using these with a pioneer 8400 head unit and a kicker kx600.4 or something similiar.
    ditch the rear speakers, and use the money you save to get better fronts id really like to listen to the diamonds myself, but from what i hear the focals are REALLY bright, so i doubt id like em. doesnt mean you wont tho...

eric

WANG MOON PRODUCTIONS, inc.

overpecker & audiomobile's biggests ANTI-fan

CLASS 'D' AMPS ARE NOT DIGITAL!!!! YOU WILL GET FLAMED BY SOMEONE...EVEN IF ITS NOT ME.

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    save the cash from teh rears, and grab an EQ tame thsoe brights, lol.

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

jtmoney is offline i DiDn'T dO iT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Focal or Diamond Audio???

Originally posted by nismo
    REALLY bright
    eric
    1. every1 says this and i know its difficult, but if possible try to hear a set yourself.......................i know of a beetle with these and i like them just fine

2. (see quote) depends how much bass u have up back.............aything BUT a BRIGHT tweet will havce trouble keeping up with a couple of KW of bass up back

3. see my sig - DD6.5 are monsters..we have a Lexcus driving round with 6 of these getting 400RMS each and they are insane-can hear it from up the road.......the updated model is gnna be even meaner.....................a set of these with a set of DD ribbon tweets and you ahve, i the opinion of many, the best set of components aside from RAINBOWs $6000 set.....................

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hey

Bright|? like i said im a newb. So everyone said to pretty much forget about the rears? DD"s? Whats a site for those or where cn i buy em..how much? If i should go with some different speakers feel free to suggest models. And an EQ. That would be nice if i could ever figure out how to use it and which one to buy. Help me out guys. thanks for the poss so far.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

???

Hey guys..like i said i have around 1100 to 1200. I would really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on what you would do with that. Right now i think i should just go with some components, head unit, and amp but if you think my stock speakers will be fine with some subs let me know also. Like i said before i am a complete NEWB to car audio but i believe i am learning fast. Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, the address for DD is www.ddaudio.com

as my sig states, most drivers in my system are DD - DD is a great co......I may even be persuaded to change to a DD amp the way things are hotting up..........

DD taking over the world? RF bosses will be sitting uncomfortably...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, i dont know what ure aftre, but I presume adecent sound as opposed to ground shaking SPL, so within your budgte I suggest, bearing in mind my philosophy of do it right 1st time and leave it, as opposed to upgrading evrey 3 months - this setup will last you a couple of years I should think

1. a NAKAMICHI CD-45Z - around $300, try www.onlinecarstereo.com, although I dont knwo much about them, whether its safe to buy from them etc etc

2. a pair of DD 6.5W components - $200 if ure a club DD member, more if not (try to find somebody who has bought DD stuff, theyll be able to take advantage of this price 4 u)

3. sub - if elemental design K series subs (www.edesignaudio.com) are still on sale, get a 12 or maybe 2 if u really like bass - $200

4. thats $700 already and u have no amp yet................hmmm.....................go D class, say an MTX8100D - a great amp, will push 1700RMS and pound those subs.......go smaller D class, if u go for 1 ED sub, say an MTX500d - $400 for the 8100, around $300 for the 500d.........thats already around your budget limit

u would also need a nice amp for the DD mids, some tweeters (DD ribbin tweets are nice I hear) and, IMPORTBATLY!!!!! good installation to take advantage of a agreat setup like this....................................

so for $1100 u get - 2 ED subs, DD mids, MTX amp for subs, Nakamichi HU

all very good stuff

id set aside another $500 to be on the safe side with reagdr to expert installation and to purchase tweeters and wiring

be warned - the DDs may need custom builds..but if done properly a system like this will be the envy of all!!!!

if youre gonna do it online, and hell why not, u make a great saving, these are the recommended, RELIABLE, sellers -

www.thezeb.com
    www.ikesound.com
    www.cbrstereo.com

there are others, ask around, but people know little about them

stay away from cmttrading.com and buyloud.com - nothing but trouble

also consider ebay and 2nd hand to save costs

thats it, hope Ive helped

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh and consider whether you want a ported box or sealed setup - ported will require more room, but will drop lower, sealed is punchier bass, in a nutshell, but not as low - with a ported the box is tuned to allow frequency extrension at a certain point

any more probs, PM me or post up

bootleg is offline Got Adire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly you can spend all the money you want on your fronts but unless you have something to fill your rears, you won't have the great of success with imaging. That and if you play CD's that are 4 channel recorded it won't sound just right. I went ahead and stepped down a little when I bought some quarts for my dad's truck so I could match the speakers for the back to aquire a better 4 channel stereo feeling.

FIRST AND FORE MOST GO AND LISTEN TO SOMEBODY'S SETUP THAT HAS WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE YOU BUY!!

'94 Dodge Ram Std. Cab Sport Red

100' Sound Deading
    1/0 Power & Ground

Adire Audio 12" Shiva
    Custom Sealed Fiber-glass Box

'03 Spring Install:
    Clarion DXZ635MP
    US Acoustics USX2100
    US Acoustics USX2080
    ID & Adire Front Stage
    Adire Audio 12" Shiva Mk. III

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey, got with JBL for amps, much cheaper, great amps, only thing is, on teh 1200.1 for you sub/subs, ther eis no Sub Sonic filter, so either you will ahve to get a seperate one, or stick with a sealed box...
    but the 80.4, or the 180.2 would be great

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as Focal being bright which translates into the tweeter being very harsh or piercing.. This dies down some after they are broken in.. the crossover has a tweeter attenuation switch which would help emmensly.. I have heard Focals Polykevlar and Utopia lines as well as Diamonds best..Diamond has a good sound but it lacks in definition.. If you have the money to get them I would go Focal. I have heard good things about Morel though if you can demo a set it may be worth looking into.. For a cheaper comp set that will easily contend with Focals Polykev line try Image Dynamics Chameleons http://carmedia1.com .. a PPI 2125 would drive them nicely without causing your ears to bleed at high volumes..J/King

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

head_unit is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

another alternative

My friend developed the Alpine Type X, and his specific targets to kick in the @ were the Focals (he used to work there) and the Diamonds. I think he succeeded; I made some Type X home speakers and they sound fabulous.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hey everyone

Thanks a lot for the great help everyone. So those elemental subs pretty good?? 135 a piece for the 12's on that site. Not bad. Nakmachi head units are so plain looking...are they worth 300?? Well keep the suggestions and opinions coming in! Thanks

Closed Thread