Closed Thread

Reload Thread: L5 15" Square Kicker

lcpunk69 is offline SQ Baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

L5 15" Square Kicker

Hey, I got a L5 15" square kicker in about a 4.2 cubic feet ported box. I am giving it around 600 - 700W (MTX THUNDER6500D) continues power. (My car runs at 13.5V so its lower than the rated 775@ 14.4V) Kicker says they can handle 750RMS in sealed and 1000W Rms ported, If I ran a JBL1200.1 giving it 1200W RMS would it sound alot better than the 600 - 700W rms im giving it? is it worth the money? what exactly will be different with close to 2x the power. Also if I put polyfill in the box from the slot port in my box, will it make it sound better???? or does it have to be in a certain spot, if not how much to put in??? PLEASE HELP ME THANKS

-QUEN

picklekx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: L5 15" Square Kicker

Originally posted by lcpunk69
    Hey, I got a L5 15" square kicker in about a 4.2 cubic feet ported box. I am giving it around 600 - 700W (MTX THUNDER6500D) continues power. (My car runs at 13.5V so its lower than the rated 775@ 14.4V) Kicker says they can handle 750RMS in sealed and 1000W Rms ported, If I ran a JBL1200.1 giving it 1200W RMS would it sound alot better than the 600 - 700W rms im giving it? is it worth the money? what exactly will be different with close to 2x the power. Also if I put polyfill in the box from the slot port in my box, will it make it sound better???? or does it have to be in a certain spot, if not how much to put in??? PLEASE HELP ME THANKS

-QUEN
    Generally subs handle the more power in sealed boxes not ported. My guess would be youd blow. it and at most youd gain 3 dbs. people are blowing 12 inch L7s off the jbl 1200.1 So i wouldnt do it. since the L7 is suppsoe to handle 750 rms. And that jbl really puts out around 1400rms

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i got a buddy here who is running 4 kicker 800 watt amps to 2 L7 12"s. he has had that setup for like 6 months now or maybe a lil longer not really sure but my god it hit's hard. he was in the install bay at a local shop here door's down and closed i was outside putting my 940premier in my car with my buddy who works there and it set off an alarm outside. i was like holy **** that is loud.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

lcpunk69 is offline SQ Baby!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey you said I would prolly blow it picklexk, but the L5 series on the owners manual with the 15 Inch sub and all L5 series it says it can handle more power in ported boxes. With the L5 15 its 750WRMS sealed and 1000W RMS ported. But then I looked at the L7 series, in a ported or sealed box the total is 750RMS, maybe I could get the jbl1200.1 to power it??? maybe?? no?? maybe the L5 series ported box need more power??? I need some car audio ppl to respond

Thanks,

Quen

streetrod is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    will first of all the L715 RMS is 1000 watts max is 2000watts. And I,m not sure what the L5 is I do know that it is less power then the l7. So I really can't say if that amp will work for the L5. I know it would work for the L7.

nismo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    somebody define powerhandling.

you guys seem to be throwing this around without considering whether its electrical powerhandling or mechanical powerhandling

electrical is how much you can feed it before you melt the coils...

mechanical is how much it takes to make a sub bottom out. this is TOTALLY dependent on the box.

with sealed boxes, the smaller the box, the more power it can handle mechanically. electrically (aka thermally), the power handling doesnt change.

with ported boxes, as you drop in frequency (ABOVE tuning frequency), you GAIN mechanical powerhandling, but drop in thermal (only slightly), because the box is keeping the sub from moving too far, but the lack of movement prevents cooling, which causes the electrical powerhandling to drop. when youre at your peak tuning frequency, is when you have the least thermal powerhandling, and the most mechanical powerhandling. as you go BELOW tuning frequency, mechanical powerhandling drops, but electrical stays about the same (youll just bottom the hell out of it with tons of low frequency signal). it actually goes up a little bit, but its irrelevant, as you cant get much output down below tuning...and risk damaging your sub.

the L7's will handle over 1500 watts rms in a ported box IF youre playing tones above the tuning frequency...AND you dont play the tones long (aka BURPING)...if you decide to play below tuning, you will blow the sub with MUCH less power. if youre doing spl, i suggest ported. if youre wanting sound quality, i suggest ported, but not as much power, and tuned to about 26-30 hz instead of 48-50 with spl setups.

eric
    Last edited by nismo; 09-08-2002 at 11:33 PM.

WANG MOON PRODUCTIONS, inc.

overpecker & audiomobile's biggests ANTI-fan

CLASS 'D' AMPS ARE NOT DIGITAL!!!! YOU WILL GET FLAMED BY SOMEONE...EVEN IF ITS NOT ME.

phattyex is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you want to use the jbl 1200.1 buy a second sub.

You are the ones who are the ball lickers!

Closed Thread