Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

louder than one 15...

i wanna be able to get louder with the same amount of watts... right now i have a 15" sx, and am getting bored with it.. does get loud, but i have to turn it up pretty high to get the bass response that i want for daily driving...

I am running a concept cc-d1200, puts out 1200 at 1ohm

Would getting 3 12's or 1 18 that run off of the same wattage do me justice?

options:

1) get an 18" sx or something comparible

2) buy 3 12"s

either way i am going ported and firing them down (so i can hide everything)

i have an s-10 blazer so i can fit a pretty big box in it...

any advice would be helpful... thanks!!!

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Re: louder than one 15...

In my expereince, for loud response from an S-10 Blazer, you want to fire towards the rear tailgate, 12-18 inches away from it. If you are concerned about the drivers being seen, build a speaker cover for it (like home speakers have) or something similar, so it just looks like a box (like the downfiring setup).

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

tplaya07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont think just by switching the size/amount of drivers you are going to notice any real improvement. Yes, you will get more cone area, but in order to increase db's, you need to increase power.
    Changing port freq., box size, firing direction may help some as well, but in general, to get more db's, the power needs to be increased.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    354 Post(s)

Hmm, if a 15's not loud enough for daily driving, you either have a bad install or will be totally deaf within a few years, not trying to preach, but you only have 1 set of ears.

SBLAZER is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im sure its the woofer. ive talked 2 him be4. u knows wha ima say. i'd say do some Type Rs. we have basically same vehicle, so wha works for me im sure will work for him. and u dont need to fire 2wards rear gate. u can do sub up and port back. and 12-18in is way 2 far. i mean cmon now, can u image 15 in from the gate. thats space u can be usin. im only about 5in away ,guess thats not workin for me. cant be loud that close 2 the hatch. 2 12 type R would be wha u lookin for. u could even do 1 15R

Moe Lester is offline 1/3 of TEAM PWNAGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tplaya07
    I dont think just by switching the size/amount of drivers you are going to notice any real improvement. Yes, you will get more cone area, but in order to increase db's, you need to increase power.
    Changing port freq., box size, firing direction may help some as well, but in general, to get more db's, the power needs to be increased.
    ... no

more cone area does have the potential to be louder with the same wattage. The box can also make quite a big difference. To make a noticable difference by power, you generally have to double the wattage, but power compression can be a pain as well.

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Obviously 3 12's would most likely get the most output, look at the cone area advantage. Get 3 RLP's, or Avalanch's... orrrrrrrr why not 3 SX's....that would slaaaam

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

bimma85 is offline Can't be ****** ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    Obviously 3 12's would most likely get the most output, look at the cone area advantage. Get 3 RLP's, or Avalanch's... orrrrrrrr why not 3 SX's....that would slaaaam
    because they'd like more than 400 watts each in a decent size box.

REFS:JimJ, DBfan187, jimj, ology audio, excelerater, private pastry, kenny pollock, priosonnumber6, johnnyber, mattmmcs, vosschs, lax916, davidfre21, iceteebone, cd6551, vladd and others that I cant remember off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    I feel like when im bumpin once it gets dark....the street lights often go out. I was driving home the other night and like 3 street lights went out in like 15 minutes.
    Does this happen a lot to any of you??
    Also if you have had the twix ice cream......isnt it amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleNTheTrunk
    damn. 8 10"s?........80" of cone area FTW!

Mackenzie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I say go for the 3 12s. I went from 2 15s to 4 12s, the the difference was tremendous off the same power.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLAZER
    im sure its the woofer. ive talked 2 him be4. u knows wha ima say. i'd say do some Type Rs. we have basically same vehicle, so wha works for me im sure will work for him. and u dont need to fire 2wards rear gate. u can do sub up and port back. and 12-18in is way 2 far. i mean cmon now, can u image 15 in from the gate. thats space u can be usin. im only about 5in away ,guess thats not workin for me. cant be loud that close 2 the hatch. 2 12 type R would be wha u lookin for. u could even do 1 15R
    You CAN mount them any way you want. But as I said, in MY experience (have owned several s-10 blazers in the past 10 years) the best position for a loud response (generally speaking) was firing rear, toward the tailgate, 12-18 inches from it. You can whine that's valuable space all you want, that's irrelevant to the point I made, isn't it? And that space is not wasted, that's generally where I mount the amp rack, processors, second batt, etc etc. That's jsut about the right room to fit those items, actually.

And, did I say you CAN'T be loud at 5 inches away? Learn to read.

And Im sorry, but Type R's do not have magic dust. Just switching to them will not solve everyone's problems. SX's are known for their output, and a 15" SX is no slouch, I would not assume just slamming a couple Type R's in there will make him happy. Unless, you want to just go along with the latest forum boner that Type R's are the best thing since sliced bread, then... meh.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

tplaya07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Lester
    ... no

more cone area does have the potential to be louder with the same wattage. The box can also make quite a big difference. To make a noticable difference by power, you generally have to double the wattage, but power compression can be a pain as well.

lol...I thought that's pretty much what I said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it will solve his problem,as it has for many peeps. i can read and i own a blazer and i kno many other people wit blazers. thats valuable space there buddy, depends on the setup. type R do have magic dust. firing rear is not always louder mister "generally speaking". im sure SX are known for their output, at higher notes. they can burp all day. but far as daily wise i wouldnt recommend it. far all around daily and still wanna do a 150, type R buddy

tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic

And Im sorry, but Type R's do not have magic dust. Just switching to them will not solve everyone's problems. SX's are known for their output, and a 15" SX is no slouch, I would not assume just slamming a couple Type R's in there will make him happy. Unless, you want to just go along with the latest forum boner that Type R's are the best thing since sliced bread, then... meh.
    Let's not start this battle again.

2 separate drop-in tests have proven the type-r to be the victor. Don't ask me how, because it defies all logic.

Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.

Spkrman is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    You CAN mount them any way you want. But as I said, in MY experience (have owned several s-10 blazers in the past 10 years) the best position for a loud response (generally speaking) was firing rear, toward the tailgate, 12-18 inches from it. You can whine that's valuable space all you want, that's irrelevant to the point I made, isn't it? And that space is not wasted, that's generally where I mount the amp rack, processors, second batt, etc etc. That's jsut about the right room to fit those items, actually.
    I'll assume your talking about using a sealed box here, with a ported box you are far from correct

we've tested the R's to be louder than the SX's.... type R's are now KNOWN for their output. Is the SX a slouch? no... is the type R better for daily drivin, YES.

As far as magic dust... sit in my blazer and tell me there is no magic with the type R's, my headrest is louder than most people will ever do in the kick. Is most of it install? yep... do the type R's work extremely well for my application, yep... Are they incredible subs, at ANY price range... yep.

Do the testing first, then tell me what works best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yo headrest is louder than most on this forum period.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast