Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Is this a good Move?

bushtree is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a good Move?

Hey everyone, I currently have 2 10" Kicker CompVR (new style) recieving 350watts each..

I am looking to upgrade my subs so i was looking at the new type R. I would go with 1 12" new style type R built to spec in a sealed box. My amp will give ~1000watts..

Will that 1 12" be a big upgrade or what do you guys think? I am looking for SQL and sound quality on the kickers is mediocre at best...

Thanks,
    Nick

Ref: WkbdKid, djchinky, Polkat, wesl56, swc204, Colt9699, wcarson8911, WDLock, tdawg30, Bloodstalker999, Zeuslicious, ribeiro953, kberkel, latinplaya22

pd298 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is this a good Move?

I hear alot of good things about Type R's on this board. I say go for it.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express 4x4
    Flowmaster 40 Series
    HBS 2.5 Level Kit
    20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)
    Kicker ZXS1500.1
    (2) Alpine SWR-12D2's (2012 Version)
    Fox Acousitcs box 1.5 cubed per chamber @ 35 hertz

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where's the RE SEs listed in your signature?

Yes, I believe a single 12" Type R in a proper enclosure on 1000 watts>(2) Comp VRs on 700 watts.

The VRs, though, are pretty freggin good 'bang for the buck' budget subs. Yes, certainly there are better drivers out there but if yours truly sound no better than "mediocre" I would have to wonder if there's a user error coming into play here...

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the SE"s are gone.. I sold them a while back got into a money bind.... However now i have a new truck and i got the kickers to go in a box to fit under the rear seat....

Im sure the box has a huge effect on why the Vr's dont sound to great... Its way to small of a box, so i was thinking about selling the Kicker and small underseat box and just building a custom box to spec. Where im going to place this box though i only have room for 1 sub so i figued i would upgrade while i was at it..

Ref: WkbdKid, djchinky, Polkat, wesl56, swc204, Colt9699, wcarson8911, WDLock, tdawg30, Bloodstalker999, Zeuslicious, ribeiro953, kberkel, latinplaya22

Trancer is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Can you fit an 8" mounting depth Type R under your seat?

07 black Yamaha V-Star FI 1300. 08 GMC Sierra QC SLE2 Texas Edition
    Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1, Focal Utopia Components, Focal K2P Components with Digital Designs T1 Tweeters, Audiopipe AQX-360.4, Audiopipe 3001D
    References: 21: DesertHeat, Ravens9322, Netherland24, Insomniac119, killahbean, Charlieee, Dustin19, djman37, dirthog, JayRich, JimJ, RassyMX, Slayerx, smgreen20, lyttleviet, RAM_Designs, Gingerbreadman, DarkHart, cwill5, Imtjnotu, Bettr n' Revrse

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSquad View Post
    Make the port as large and as round as possible. For example, a square port is more round than a rectangular one; an octogonal port is more round than a square port. Also, keep the number of ports down to one, if possible.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hey dont make 8" type R's anymore i dont believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I never said anything about an 8" diameter, I said, mounting depth.

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1, Focal Utopia Components, Focal K2P Components with Digital Designs T1 Tweeters, Audiopipe AQX-360.4, Audiopipe 3001D
    References: 21: DesertHeat, Ravens9322, Netherland24, Insomniac119, killahbean, Charlieee, Dustin19, djman37, dirthog, JayRich, JimJ, RassyMX, Slayerx, smgreen20, lyttleviet, RAM_Designs, Gingerbreadman, DarkHart, cwill5, Imtjnotu, Bettr n' Revrse

Make the port as large and as round as possible. For example, a square port is more round than a rectangular one; an octogonal port is more round than a square port. Also, keep the number of ports down to one, if possible.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh no... I can only fit 5.5" mounting depth under the seat, that is why i am desiging a new box that will be able to fit a 12" and it has plenty of room for depth and such..

Spkrman is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

build a new box for the CVR's, they will be louder, particularly if you must stay sealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well make sure the box is atleast 9 inches deep. The mounting depth for the Type R 12 is 8 inches. They are deep subs. What pickup is this going in? I know the Dodges and Chevy, Even Ford if I remember right, has very little depth under the back seat

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes i do have very little mounting depth under the seat. So i am building a new box which will be an extension off of the center console and flow to my back seat. (Box will be in the Center seats footspace). I just took all the measurements for the box and it looks like after taking into consideration the thickness of the MDF my box and flush mounting the sub i will have a mounting depth of 8.25" and the 12" type R has a 7.7" mounting depth.

eddielujan is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Listen to spkrman! he's the man!! he's building me a box right now for my 350z, I can't wait!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

see the thing is my new box will only be able to house 1 subwoofer. so thats why i was going to go with the 12" type R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Go for it man! Feed it plenty of clean power and let us in on how it sounds and post pics if you can.

Closed Thread