Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Built ported box, but have problems/questions...

F150Matt is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Built ported box, but have problems/questions...

Ok guys, I finally built my ported box. Its so huge behind the seat in my single cab truck that my parents are only gonna let me take it to competitions I have to leave the sealed box in all other times... Anyway, I'm not real familiar with how a ported box should act. I built my box after conferring with kicker and getting them to give me the correct port tuning and all for my box. I hoooked up my subs in there and there is a significant amount of air coming out of the big port hole on certain notes, but like my subs now go in instead of hitting outwards? Is that normal? They are hooked up exactly the same as they were in my sealed box and they went out in there not in. Also, hearing wise, I dont know if there was really that much difference in like the loudness. I haven't got a chance to meter it yet but should I hvae been able to tell a big difference in the loudness or should there just be more pressure in the cab? One more thing, after playing some music through the box for about an hour or so I noticed a couple small leaks in my box of air(could be the cause of loss of output). Anyway we put numerous screws to hold this box together and used wood glue and caulked up the inside and the outside of all seams/cracks. Still some air is getting through. What do I do to fix this? Just add more caulk before going to a competition and hope it doesn't leak? I really couldn't tell a big difference between this box and my sealed box as far as loudness and how far the sound carries. What should I expect in going from sealed to ported?

Matt Sibley
    Dad, Electrical Engineer, MBA

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics
    USACi Pro Stock 5001+ World Record Holder

JTz62 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, for the air leaks, get a 10 dollar quart of fiberglass from the nearest auto parts distributor and coat the inside with a layer or two of it. That'll definately take care of the leaks, and add some rigidity to your box. As for the output question, yes, it should definately be louder than the sealed. Which side of the box is your port on? Also give me your dimensions of your box and the port.

93 Cougar - under construction...again

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can I have your email address? I typed up my box specs and have blueprints for it that will give you everything u should need to know about it. I called kicker and they told me how to tune the port. The port is on the passenger side of my truck and it is 12.5'' tall 6.36'' wide and 16.5'' deep. The volume of the box with port and woofer displacement is 5.85ft^3 or very very close to that. The kicker guy said that as long as I stayed pretty close to that volume then I would keep that same port tuning. I believe the guy from kicker was named John. Let me have your email and I'll send u any other info u may need. Thanks.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

slipknot87420 is offline ^^^^^^420^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    if the subs are hitting in ward it sounds like u got the -and+ wrong check that i bet thats it

93 blazer

Panasonic>>>>Orion>>>>Kicker>>>>Pioneer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, thats a big box for a single cab. With those dimensions of the box and port, I get 39 Hz as your tuning frequency which should be fine. What side of the box is the port on? The face, or the side? My e-mail is : justinandkittie@attbi.com send me what you have, and I'll take a look at it if you want.

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You've got mail. And I wired the speakers to the amp and vc's exactly as they were in my sealed box and they hit outwards in the sealed box and go inward in the ported. Should I just reverse the pos and neg on the amp? or the pos neg on the speakers? I dont want to burn anything up lol.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OOPS...I forgot to tell u that the port is on the passenger side and comes out the side of the box. It is a slot port and uses the back wall of the box as one side of it. I have about 7-8 inches of space between the side of the cab wall and the outside of the port.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I took a look at it, and I cant really see anything wrong with the port dimensions. It could possibly be that the port not being on the same plane as the sub is causing some cancellation somewhere, but it's hard to tell just by looking at a picture if it. You would know if they were backwards because you would have hardly any output. Did you have a shop build it? If so, what did they say about the way it sounded? Also, turn all your bass boost, crossover, and gain all the way back down and set them again since you have a new box. Do you have a subsonic filter inline somewhere? Not that that would affect your output, but you should have one to protect your subs from unloading below your tuning frequency.

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no I built the box myself, saved a lot of money, it'll be worth the trouble when I get it going right. I did not try re-adjusting gains and stuff, and yea the subs did have little output going in instead of out. How do I adjust the wiring for this? At the moment I have the dual 2 ohm VC's wired in series and the 2 speakers wired parallel I believe for a 2 ohm load. I just kept the wiring the same as it was in my sealed box that a shop installed and they had it running at 2 ohms mono. What do I need to switch though for the subs to hit outward? That may be the MAIN reason that I have less output. The ported box sounded about the same as the speakers in the sealed box but in sealed they were hitting out. Add that hitting out to the sound from the ported box and yes I believe output would be significantly greater. Would you agree?

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You would only have trouble if one has hitting "in" and one "out". As long as they were both moving the same, it doesn't matter if you have the pos and neg's reversed. They might be out of phase with the rest of your interior speakers, but it wouldn't have an effect on your bass output. You can take a 9-volt battery and attatch the leads to your speaker wire at the amp and see if they both move in, out, or opposite. As long as they aren't moving opposite you're ok. I think the problem may lie in your box. You said that it has leaks, so I would get those sealed up, and reset all your levels on the amp first before you go any further. I looked at the pic of the box, and that isn't an easy box to build, even for a more experienced box-builder. It may have more leaks than you know about.

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, it was a difficult box to build and their may be more leaks than I know about. The fiberglass should solve the problem though correct? Do I use it like paint and just put it in the cracks/seams of the box? Or coat the entire inside of the box with it? Also my subs are both hittin in so they are not out of phase with each other. Is there anyway to make them hit out though? It looks weird with them going in instead of out.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by F150Matt
    Ok, it was a difficult box to build and their may be more leaks than I know about. The fiberglass should solve the problem though correct? Do I use it like paint and just put it in the cracks/seams of the box? Or coat the entire inside of the box with it? Also my subs are both hittin in so they are not out of phase with each other. Is there anyway to make them hit out though? It looks weird with them going in instead of out.
    Well, after you mix the resin and the hardener (just follow the instructions, and you'll be fine), coat the entire inside of the box with it. Get some cheap, throw away brushes to apply it with, because they'll be trash when you're done. Be careful with the glass not to get it on anything that you don't want it on, because it's a pain to clean it up. Get some disposable gloves too, so it doesn't get all over your hands. You can reverse the speaker wires to reverse the subs if it bothers you too much

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Should I use a lil scraper to take off the caulking on the inside of the box first or just fiberglass over it? How long do I need to let the fiberglass dry? Thanks man. I sure hope it solves my problem and I get some serious output from this thing. I'll try to take some pictures of the box itself and let u see it. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have them developed or if I happen to see my uncle I'll borrow his digital cam and take some pics. Thanks again for your help.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by F150Matt
    Should I use a lil scraper to take off the caulking on the inside of the box first or just fiberglass over it? How long do I need to let the fiberglass dry? Thanks man. I sure hope it solves my problem and I get some serious output from this thing. I'll try to take some pictures of the box itself and let u see it. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have them developed or if I happen to see my uncle I'll borrow his digital cam and take some pics. Thanks again for your help.
    It'll probably be more trouble than it's worth to scape off the caulk. Get the excess off as good as you can, and glass over the rest. Mix the glass and resin as instructed on the can. Then let it dry for at least 4-5 hours. Overnight would be better, but 4-5 should do.

62 Impala....up for sale

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks. I've never used fiberglass, will it be very thick? Shouldn't lose much if any internal airspace huh? I hope I dont have to retune the port. Anyways right now I'm getting ready for school tomorrow. My sr. year is this year so it should be a blast! I'll start fiberglassing wednesday probably that way I make sure I have it ready by next weekend at the competition. I hope the air leaks is the problem which is very likely. Me and my grandpaw built it and I've never built a box before and my grandpaw didn't know much about speakers and the pressure they exert so maybe we should have started off more simple. I'll let u know how the fiberglassing goes. Thanks again.

Matt Sibley

Used to do these:
    Team S.P.E.A.D. Captain
    Team Kicker
    Team Maxxsonics

Closed Thread