Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ultimate sounding subs with sq and spl

Hey, I am looking for a pair of subs, they need to be able to have outstanding sound qaulity, and sound presure levels. I used to run, a pair of hollywood ecrusion1280d's but the amp blew one or the sub had a defect, but I still have one that is in good working order. they handled 400rms, and 800peak with both combined I should have be able to put 1600 watts into thees max, but I never really put that much in them because the loxest I could go on my amp with those sube is 2ohms, which is about 750rms 1000w max At two ohms. the amp can handle 1000w at one ohm rms 1500watt max. Later on I plan on getting one more visonik amp just like the one I have so I can runn the in a parlle amp set up, wich would give me double the power I just specified. so I am open for opinions on this .

\pioneer 4100
    2 alpine mrvt407s
    visonik V800XD
    radioshack 4X6 coax
    radioshack four way compont 4 inch driver
    radioshack 6X9 four way
    2 Hollywood excrusions 12' 1280D
    custic three way crossover with sub preout

next on list is another visonik V800XD so I can run them in parrell with new subs ( I have no idea what kind of subs I am going to get, but some that can handle at least 1000 watts a peice and a static x bat, and a 2farad cap with a stinger circiut breaker and a pair for three and a quarters for dash.

blackgeltabs is offline Knowledge is Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think a Image Dynamics IDMAX would fit the bill for ya. If you not looking to spend that much then try somethig like a kicker L5 these produce good SQ while still maintaining decent SPL levels.

jtmoney is offline i DiDn'T dO iT!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Idmax, brahma, dd, re, elemental designs new range - around $100 for a 12 if you order now direct from their site

oh n about the hollywood subs - they're **** good subs - i dont understand how you coulkd blow the as they can take lots of abuse - how did u wire??? its a great sub the hollywood excursion.....very very good.....just ask don hebig

rco8786 is offline Studmuffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ultimate sounding subs with sq and spl

Originally posted by A-hole
    Hey, I am looking for a pair of subs, they need to be able to have outstanding sound qaulity, and sound presure levels. I used to run, a pair of hollywood ecrusion1280d's but the amp blew one or the sub had a defect, but I still have one that is in good working order. they handled 400rms, and 800peak with both combined I should have be able to put 1600 watts into thees max, but I never really put that much in them because the loxest I could go on my amp with those sube is 2ohms, which is about 750rms 1000w max At two ohms. the amp can handle 1000w at one ohm rms 1500watt max. Later on I plan on getting one more visonik amp just like the one I have so I can runn the in a parlle amp set up, wich would give me double the power I just specified. so I am open for opinions on this .

\pioneer 4100
    2 alpine mrvt407s
    visonik V800XD
    radioshack 4X6 coax
    radioshack four way compont 4 inch driver
    radioshack 6X9 four way
    2 Hollywood excrusions 12' 1280D
    custic three way crossover with sub preout

next on list is another visonik V800XD so I can run them in parrell with new subs ( I have no idea what kind of subs I am going to get, but some that can handle at least 1000 watts a peice and a static x bat, and a 2farad cap with a stinger circiut breaker and a pair for three and a quarters for dash.
    Judging by what you just told us..im thinking you blew one. MAX does not mean you can put that amount of watts into it all the time...that's what rms is for. Unless i read wrong your saying you put 750W rms into a sub rated for 400W rms....bad idea unless you know that the subs are incredibly underrated.

A-hole is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Ultimate sounding subs with sq and spl

Originally posted by rco8786

Judging by what you just told us..im thinking you blew one. MAX does not mean you can put that amount of watts into it all the time...that's what rms is for. Unless i read wrong your saying you put 750W rms into a sub rated for 400W rms....bad idea unless you know that the subs are incredibly underrated.
    yes thees are great sounding subs, I am slaming the other one just fine.

the amp can handel 750 rms 1000w peak at 2ohms.
    and thees subs are dual voice at 2ohms a coil. and I had two in a parrel setup, wich gave 2ohms, with two subs, not just one. right now I have only one sub hooked up, and it is at 4ohms now wich is 500rms 750max maybe if I tried but any ways .
    how can blow them with this. I cant, that why I said maybe it was a defect, sub cause one still works. I know what max is. do you know what rms is?
    -----------------> devry sudent studying electornics tech.

so which of all thoose subs should i get, I need some that are great for trunks. rear facing. I like the sealed box. because they sound cleaner. I might have my buddy at cardenal car steareo make me a custom enclosure, but not till I get the subs and test them out in my car.
    Last edited by A-hole; 08-10-2002 at 03:44 PM.

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wait if you had your subs wired in parallel that would give a .5 ohm load my friend which would have both killed your amp and subs. anyway, for 2 subs that can handle 1000watts a piece it all depends on the price you have to spend on the subs my man.

adam

Alaxan is offline Common Sense Guru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any good tech-head knows that you are less likely to blow your subs with more power. It is the distortion levels that destroy subs. If you push them to a level where they are going to distort you are then likely to blow them.

As for a good sub? I have always been partial to Orions Xtreme and HCCA series, but hey that is just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes but if you send a sub that can handle max of say 400watts like 700 watts rms to it then you cause a ton of distortion due to over excursion of the cone or many other factors that can happen therefore you blow your woofer.

adam

JTz62 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
    yes but if you send a sub that can handle max of say 400watts like 700 watts rms to it then you cause a ton of distortion due to over excursion of the cone or many other factors that can happen therefore you blow your woofer.

adam
    Not exactly. You might push the sub past it's mechanical and thermal limits with too much power and blow it, but not distortion. Distortion most often comes with too little power, when the amp is pushed too hard it begins to clip. And your sub blows because of getting a distorted, or clipped signal. Most of the time anyway.

93 Cougar - under construction...again

62 Impala....up for sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    see i wasn't sure if i had that right or backwards hell it's still early for me today

adam

A-hole is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wait if you had your subs wired in parallel that would give a .5 ohm load my friend which would have both killed your amp and subs. anyway, for 2 subs that can handle 1000watts a piece it all depends on the price you have to spend on the subs my man.

adam
    ok, I had then in parrell my amp saw 2ohms, .......how do you ask, beacause i ran each sub at 4our ohm , then placed then in series. duh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't try and be smarter than me just asking a question man. you don't have to be a **** about it.

adam

A-hole is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    don't try and be smarter than me just asking a question man. you don't have to be a **** about it.

adam
    I dont have to be smart, than you,
    if you wanted to not sound stupid then you could think before you type, and not get butt hurt over a car audio forum, I could give two shits about anything that is said about me on this forum. I am just gettting other opinions, on subs they have heard ect. any how I did try that .5 ohm thing to see how well this amp was and it was too loud, and to unpredictable, so I put it back to 2 ohms. hollywoods are a good sub, I was looking at the spider and the wire terminal to see if maybe something was touching, and saw that the terminal wires whereglued to tightly, and may have cause a separation in the cone, connecting to the coil. the sub sounds like something is rattling inside. so that must be it.

A-hole is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok so brahmas, orian, kicker L7 ......anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'd go with brahma they are great subs. or you could always get the new brahma extreme there only like 1200 a sub or more i think.

adam

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List