Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Sealed Vs Ported (SQ vs SPL)

iconist is offline the unbeliever

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sealed Vs Ported (SQ vs SPL)

Okay so what is the real deal with sealed vs ported? I keep hearing conflicting opinions. Some people say that sealed is the best for SQ, but others say that if your port it right (tune it properly I guess) then that is the superior way for SQ. So which is it? I'm not looking to have ower-powering thumping bass, just a clean full range from top to bottom.

Here is a sample of the type of music I'd be listening to most often.

Infected Mushroom
    Shpongle
    Jesse Cook
    Juno Reactor
    Miles Davis
    Tito Puente
    Bjork
    RJD2
    Paul Oakenfold
    Orbital

In other words, stuff that is fairly complex and nuanced, but also stuff that does dip into the bass a fair amount. And I want to be able to hear that aforementioned nuance even when it dips down into the lowest ranges.

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sealed Vs Ported (SQ vs SPL)

If you have the space to build a ported box build it If you are low on space a sealed box will do just as good. It will just not be as loud as the ported.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    If you have the space to build a ported box build it If you are low on space a sealed box will do just as good. It will just not be as loud as the ported.
    I have a pretty large trunk and my main vehicle is a mini-van.. so I'm not ever really going to *need* much trunk space, so yeah I'll be building a ported box. My question was just about whether or not there is a difference in SQ for ported vs sealed. But if it's just a "loudness" issue, then I may as well go for ported since I have the trunk space. (Right?)

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ported alignments by nature are high-Q alignments. Which, from an accuracy point of view, is not something you want. However, since what "sounds good" is different from what the "most accurate" is, you can achieve "good sounding" results with a low tuned ported box. I surely would not call it superior to sealed; but good none-the-less.

For clean, full bass, I personally would suggest sealed (sub dependent ofcourse)

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The real deal?

It depends on the drivers chosen, and your listening styles

For you, I would recommend a larger sealed box or low tuned ported enclosure.

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if you were to build a low tuned ported box it can sound just as good as a sealed box.

To put it simply I did not notice enough of a difference in SQ while testing my XXX.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    The real deal?

It depends on the drivers chosen, and your listening styles

For you, I would recommend a larger sealed box or low tuned ported enclosure.
    Yeah still working on the driver. The good **** is all back ordered. Gonna see about picking up a used Dual 2 12 inch Adire Brahma II, as I've heard good things about that.. but it requires a drive to L.A. and I'm not sure I can get away to do that, heh. I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the advice/opinions though. I'm just trying to make absolutely sure that at each step in the process I'm doing the right thing. Like the old adage, measure twice, cut once.

Mackenzie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iconist
    Yeah still working on the driver. The good **** is all back ordered. Gonna see about picking up a used Dual 2 12 inch Adire Brahma II, as I've heard good things about that.. but it requires a drive to L.A. and I'm not sure I can get away to do that, heh. I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for the advice/opinions though. I'm just trying to make absolutely sure that at each step in the process I'm doing the right thing. Like the old adage, measure twice, cut once.
    brahmas do real well in sealed boxes.

Polecat is offline Team Kicker Manager

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also may add, in a sealed enclosure, you can use more power, ported, will be louder with less power.

In Memory of Greg Welch

Team Kicker
    Kinetik Juiced

Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat
    also may add, in a sealed enclosure, you can use more power, ported, will be louder with less power.
    Ported seems to be the way I'd want to go then, considering that trunk space is not an issue and considering the amp I'm using. (Phoenix Gold Xenon X200.4)

Raven is offline Lacking social skills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The results are varied on a person to person basis. I personally would go with a large sealed box because I don't see much difference in SPL in my applications. But like most, I'm unique in my combination of setup, install, car, and listening preference.

If you're willing to spend the money on more MDF, try sealed *and* ported.

SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ported all the way. I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference it made with my 2000SPL's. Sound quality is far better because the cone simply does not have to reach nearly the same amount of excursion to produce a far louder wave. Sealed, they got loud, but not nearly loud enough for my tastes. Ported, theyre so loud that i've never even turned it up all the way... it was just too much. (and SQ improved for me).

For your SQ tastes and lack of power, I would build a large ported box tuned to around 25 - 28 hz.

Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

SQ is a subjective term, rarely denoting accuracy of reproduction of the original material, and much more often about someone's personal taste in how the music should sound to them.... as demonstrated by the above post. IMO ported enclosures can be said to rival sealed enclosures for SQ in certain situations, but its not right to say ported enclosures can be superior to a sealed system in terms of accuracy of the reproduction. Simply put, ported boxes have a group delay problem and phasing issues that sealed systems simply do not encounter.

This is of course assuming the enclosure being compared are of proper design. And as was said, specific driver designs may affect this, Im speaking in general terms about the difference in box designs.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you have a high quality sub like the Brahma why waste the precious capability to tune it by sealing it up in a box. Tuning the box to high 20 or low 30Hz will give you an extra edge. As mentioned, some speakers do not lend well to ported enclosures and vice versa. Choose the speaker you like and build the box around it.

Gallery updated 4/24/2005 - More to come
    Audiobahn = teh sux

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0ket
    When you have a high quality sub like the Brahma why waste the precious capability to tune it by sealing it up in a box.
    If anything, its 'precious capability' is better demonstrated in a sealed enclosure where cone excursion vs BL distortion output are much more relevant. To imply you simply aren't getting the full potential from a Brahma when sealing it is to imply your main concern is simply SPL output, not sound quality. Some SQ purists would consider it a waste to port such a nice sounding sub as a Brahma. *shrug*

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast