Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Local Competition: To Port or Not To Port?

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Local Competition: To Port or Not To Port?

A local audio dealer and an insurance agency are putting on a show at Lake Alma in Vinton, Ohio on Saturday, August 10th. The rules are based on MECA standards, and the meter being used is a Linear-X. I've personally tested my system on a linear-x, and came up with a fairly consistant score of 143.0 (scores ranged from 140.2 on my first attempt to a peak of 144.6) using my sealed 1.5ft3 enclosure. For daily driving purposes, the sealed box suits me just fine, but i'm sure i could probably weasel a few extra db's out of a ported enclosure. The problem is the only place i could actually port the box is on the top, so that the port would fire toward the ceiling. I know from previous attempts at building a ported enclosure for my truck (a 1995 Ford Ranger Reg. Cab) that this setup sounds like absolute *** due to the location of the port location and the "woosh" noise it makes, but is most likely louder (i've never actually had it metered on the ported box). My question is whether it's worth the time and effort to build another ported box for this competition, considering the gain in spl this box might render, when i already know that i can pull a fairly consistant score of 143 with my current setup.

My system's components are listed at the bottom of my posts, so, considering the class i'd be placed in and the fact that this is an amature competition, do i stand a snowball's chance in hell of placing with this setup, or should i risk it with the ported box?

*A few notes about the system that might make a difference:
    The sub is inverted in the box due to mounting depth issues, and the box is stuffed with 1.5lbs of polyfill. Also, the entire interior (floor, doors, back wall and ceiling) have been covered with spray-on sound deadening and either dynamat (door kit and headliner kit) or .5" foam rubber (floor) since it was last metered.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    lloyd? rangerman? audiolife?

c'mon guys.....a little help here, please!

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My advise to you is built a completly different box for comps...and port this one...You might want to go with a slot port in the middle of the box for 2 subs and for 1 sub, a slot port on the right hand side...

Semi Retired SPL Master
    Review Commitee Organizer
    Team CarAudio.com Captain

147.3 Termlab

Stereo Integrity/Memphis/Pioneer/Optima/JL

2003 NSPL Regular Cab Record Holder

Big Thanks to Loyd Lowry and Nick Lemons from Stereo Integrity

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is only one subwoofer here....all i can fit, and it's mounted in the center of the box, so a center port isn't an option. The sub is too deep to mount on the passenger or driver side, so inverting it and putting it in the center is my only real option. (and i had to put a pair of bucket seats in there just to be able to do that!) The right side of the box isn't an option either, as the box is flush with the sides of the cab (single cab rangers "aren't made for large subwoofers" as someone once told me...). The top is the only logical place to port it, but like i said it sounds like ***. The real question here is do you think that 143 will be enough to hold my class, or should i risk running another untested box for a possible (probabal) gain?

BTW, you can see pictures of this box with my old subwoofer at the link at the bottom of the page. (second page) the dimensions are d1=4" d2=8" l=48" h=12".

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scoot the seat up on the passenger side...since this is only for comps, nobody will be in there with you...

Semi Retired SPL Master
    Review Commitee Organizer
    Team CarAudio.com Captain

147.3 Termlab

Stereo Integrity/Memphis/Pioneer/Optima/JL

2003 NSPL Regular Cab Record Holder

Big Thanks to Loyd Lowry and Nick Lemons from Stereo Integrity

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can you not even REMOVE the passenger seat? it only has to be driveable, not carpoolable. lol.

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Closed Thread