Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sub or Amp problem? (Orion Cobalt 2100 & Clarion PXW1024 10s)

RedMosquito is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sub or Amp problem? (Orion Cobalt 2100 & Clarion PXW1024 10s)

Hi there, this would be my first post, but I've lurked around for a while.

(cliffnotes at the bottom)

Anyways, here is my problem. I have a Orion Cobalt 2100 Amp that was powering 2 Orion XTR DVC 10's in a ported box. I've had this for about 10 years and it's been great for my needs. I had this hooked up in 2 channel mode wired to show the Amp 2 OHM's on each channel.

A few weeks ago, the subs started to sound bad, they would clip at high volume and struggle to produce deep lows without distortion so I decided it was time to replace them.

So last week I picked up a pair of Clarion PXW1024 10's. They are 4 OHM, DVC, 300W continuous, 600W peak. I wanted to just unhook my old subs and pop these ones in their place.

So I hook them up and they sound like total crap! I am barely getting any bass out of them, and if I turn up the volume, they clip like crazy (or violently, if you will). All I am looking for here is what I had, wasn't looking for improvement, but certainly didn't want any worse.

So anyways, I rewired the subs to run at 4 OHM mono/bridged to my Amp (which will put out 400W RMS in this configuration) and it's even worse. I have to crank the gain all the way, then put my deck at like +15 on the sub control to just get some moderate base at low volume, forget trying to play it loud.

So, I guess my question is, firstly, I understand subs need a certain amount of time to get 'broken in', am I just being too impatient? I can't imagine that drastic of an improvement though. Secondly, could the problem be my Amp here? It's been like a rock for all the time I've had it, and I really have not abused it too much over the years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, sorry for the novel length post

cliffnotes: dude bought subs, new subs sound crappy, dude is wondering if it's his amp that is the problem.

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sub or Amp problem? (Orion Cobalt 2100 & Clarion PXW1024 10s)

i'd try out the amp.....probability that both sets of subs are bad and they just happen to be doing the same thing is very unlikely

RedMosquito is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sub or Amp problem? (Orion Cobalt 2100 & Clarion PXW1024 10s)

I think it is the head unit. I rewired the subs and the amp to run in 2 channel mode (subs wired to show 2 OHM's per channel).

Now, when I connect the 2 sub outputs from my deck, I get little or no bass. If I disconnect either the left or right sub input on the amp, everything is fine (one sub runs fine). If I disconnect the left sub output from the deck, the right sub pounds like it should, if I diconnect the right sub output and reconnect the left, the left sub will pound like it should. If I connect them both, little or no bass. I hooked up a different 2 channel amp and the exact same thing happens.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a HU problem?

Closed Thread