Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Diamond M361 components

klassic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Diamond M361 components

I recently installed these in my GTI upgrading from the factory components and thought I'd share my review. 1rst and formost this model is discontinued and replaced with the D361 (as opposed to M361). Visably the only difference is the midrange basket. The cone and motor structure look identicle on both models. The tweeter and X-over look identicle as well. The M361 are floating around Ebay for $115 plus shipping while the 2005 D361 run about $150 plus shipping. I didn't see enough difference to pay more for the new model.. A few pics of the speakers and install first:
    the set

installed in the door. a little dampening material and .75" MDF rings.

I'll be the 1rst to admitt I dont have a whole lot of component experience but I do have MB Quart Discuss of the same size in my other car which have been in there for years and since these are in the same class pricewise (and Mobil Entertainment did a comparison on these plus the kicker resolution series several years ago) I have something to go on.

Tweeter performance:
    absolutely the best part of this system. the X-over has a jumper for flat and -2db for the tweeter with mine set at -2db since they are mounted high in the door. The X-over also has a jumper for on and off axis (mine set at off axis. on axis would be for kick panel installs). I just dont see how anybody can listen to these and say metal dome tweeters have to be harsh. With the X-over setting and minimal eq adjustment I wouldn't even classify these as bright. No listening fatique so far. imaging is great! voices are right over the steering wheel and the tweeter being so far from the mid doesn't seem to be posing any problems. The MB quart discuss set I have is the 1rst generation and came with a .75" titanium tweeter (as apposed to the less 0.5" titanium tweet I think they come with now) and to my ears the diamond tweeter is alot easier to listen too. Not that I had any problem listening to the quart tweeter this one just seems to be more low key and stays that way better at high volume.

Midrange:
    I cant really compare this to the MB Quarts because A) the MB Quart woofer is 0.5" larger (the Diamond is a 6" component set while the MB Quart is a 6.5" set). B) I had the MB Quarts installed at a shop and I havent taken the door panel off. I doubt they went thru the trouble of .75" MDF rings and sound deadening around the mounting point as I did. Midbass performance on these can only be described as average and sufficient. In other words they dont thump like some of the heavy duty larger motor structure mids but they are sufficient enough to keep the bass from drifting to the rear. These are driven by 2 channels of a Phoenix Gold Titanium 500.4 at 75 watts each and crossed over around 80hz/24db oct slope and they handle the power fine although I am able to overdrive them by cranking the volume and bass knobs up. At that point the system isn't set up to sound good anyway but for normal listening and " a little extra" omph bass listening they do fine. Vocals are clear and up front. A little dry sounding compared to the Quarts which are a little brighter all around. Clarity however is great.

All in all you just shouldn't be able to get this kind of quality sound for $135 shipped. Except for power handling (if I were using a more powerful amp or wanted to X them over lower) and midbass I dont feel like I sacraficed alot compared to the more expensive lines. All Diamond sets use 1" aluminum tweeters and I dont know if there is any difference but I am happy with this one. The mids are all decisively different from one level to the next as well as the X-overs but these are great entry level speakers!

klassic is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Diamond M361 components

Just to edit some incorrect info I gave. all Diamond sets are "available" with 1" aluminum tweeters not all come with them as I suggested. D3/M3 series come with 1" alum tweeters. D6 and Hex are available with 1" silk or alum tweeters. alum sets have a after there model number and silk an s ex: D661s=silk, D661a=aluminum.

Also after being in alittle bit longer and doing some more eq adjustments I have to say the midbass is better than just avg, its quite good! I've turned the sub level all the way off and with the right tracks got quite a good arm massage.

Closed Thread