Closed Thread

Reload Thread: CDT Audio HD-62

BastardKidKris is offline Offical Bastard of CA.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDT Audio HD-62

written by Kepone (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/407012/3)

i figured i should post it because it made me want these components

well, yesterday i broke down and finally installed my HD's right.. they had been pretty much just thrown in the doors before.. because of time constraints..the doors previously had barely any deadening done to them, and there were air leaks around the speaker mounts.. yet still, the speakers sounded fabulous. they were mounted in stock door locations, which is at the very bottom of the door, and the tweeters were surface mounted right above the speaker grill on the door panels.

it sounded great before, but i had lots of rattles, and midbass below 80 HZ was pretty much a joke..my soundstage also pulled pretty hard to the right, but i had been using time correction to sort that out when i still had my alpine 7897, but since i got my p1r, ive been using it in normal mode, and there is no time correction.. so the staging problem became pretty annoying.. also, if i had people riding up front, their knees blocked off the right side tweeter.. and really ruined the whole deal.. so something had to be done.. but unfortunately, i work like a psycho and dont have much time to take a day out to do this.. so i lived with it for months.

but yesterday, because i had lots of free time, and i was incredibly incredibly bored, and the fact that the weather was absolutely amazing, i had to break down and get it done.

so, the plan was.. deaden the hell out of each door..make a custom baffle totally form fitted to each door, deaden the baffles, move the tweeters up to the a pillars, move the crossovers to the trunk, closer to the amp, and run all new monster wiring for the front stage..

so, being a peel and seal fan, i went out, bought 4 rolls of it for up front.. each front door now has 25 square feet of peel and seal, 2-3 layers on the outside panel, and another 2-3 layers on the inside panel, and it is totally sealed up except for the tiny drainage holes at the bottom..cut the baffles, and spent hours carving them with a dremel to perfectly fit the weird shapes in my doors ( if you ever worked on a newish corolla or prizm, youll know what i mean ).. mounted the baffles to the doors separately from the speakers, and then used more peel and seal to seal the baffles airtight to the doors.. then mounted the speakers, ran the awesome monster wires ( after removing the factory wiring from the doors ).. put the tweeters about 1/3 of the way up the a pillars, but one of them ended up being aimed wrong, which ill fix another day ( ill get into that later )...basically, the doors aint gettin any more deadened or sealed than this.. they now shut with a solid "thud ".. and feel like they weigh a ton.. on to the review..

oh, the whole system is being powered by a PPI PC4800.2

naturally, once everything was all buttoned up ( sub was not yet back in the car ), the first thing i fire up is...you guessed it.. hotel california..might i say that no words can explain how these speakers sound now..

firstly, let me address the issue of midbass from the HD's.. ive heard mixed reviews about these.. some people describe them as having tons of midbass.. others describe them as having extremely weak midbass.. others still, say that it breaks up below 60hz.. they are all wrong..lol

these things play down to 50hz with EASE!!! possibly lower, but i didnt try any lower, as 50hz is plenty low for the front stage.. the midbass is amazing.. not overpowering, not "attacking".. and absolutely not weak.. just perfect.. i did not want to put the sub back in the car..lol..midbass is simply fantastic on these speakers.. no 2 ways about it.. just phenomenal..perfect in every way, and im glad i didnt swap these for another set.. these will stay crossed over at 50hz forever but ill eventually increase the slope to 24db, its at 12 now, the p1r cant go higher than 12 in normal mode.. it can do 36 in pro mode though..

secondly.. the soundstaging issue..the staging is now just superb..i dont know how to describe it, but it sounds like the eagles are playing on my dashboard..like the whole band is just hanging out on my dash jammin out.. the stage pulls ever so slightly to the right still, but like i said, one of the tweeters is aimed incorrectly.. the driver side tweet is angled slightly downward.. i didnt notice this until i put the a pillars back in, and by that time, i was already worn out from 8 hours of installing, so ill just fix it on my next day off.. but i attribute that slight pull of the stage to the badly angled tweeter.... the passenger side one is spot on though.. and the staging is still worlds better than it was before..right now, id give the soundstage/imaging a 95/100

detail and clarity.. i dont have to say much here.. these things pretty much own every other speaker i have heard in and out of a car..heres a list of what these sound better than ( in my opinion, based on several a/b tests, and a lot of wall demos )..boston pros, boston z6, the entire jl audio lineup, everything focal makes up till the utopia ( i havent heard the utopias in a properly set up car or wall yet ), everything mb quart makes except the qsd ( havent heard those yet ), chameleons ( the chams have tons more midbass, to much for me, and they dont have the warmth on vocals that the HD's do..i also found the chams tweeter to be to bright, but very nicely detailed ).. there are a few others.. but you get where im going with this.

i didnt have time to do a lot of listening, because by the time i was done, it was almost midnight and i was pretty worn out..but i did get the eagles in there, as well as jamiroquai's newest album " a funk odyssey "..that man's voice never sounded so sweet..

ill leave you with a few final thoughts..

1. these speakers' strongpoint is two fold.. midbass and vocals..midbass is absolutely perfect, and vocals will send chills down your spine.. they make the most lifelike reproduction of vocals that ive ever heard, ever.

2. overall, you will find yourself out buying up a lot of "live" music, just to hear them on these speakers.

3. if you own these things, and do not own alice in chains- unplugged.. you are doing yourself a great injustice.

4. the standard 1" silk tweeter sounds beautiful,detail is amazing, but may be to laid back for most people's tastes.. its perfect for me.. if you like how quart's sound.. look elsewhere for a component set.

5. my final thought, if you are a pu$$y and dont like to work, dont even bother getting these, believe me when i say this.. if you ever see a review of these things, that says they lack detail or have weak midbass.. the review is a bad installer PERIOD. ill never own another brand of components besides CDT ever again..simply put, nothing else compares once they are installed the way they want to be.

so, thats my review.. but not the end of my quest for perfect sound.. i will be getting the new 2003 crossovers, and 1" deluxe silk tweeters with image enhancement kit from Jesse soon.. then my front stage will be complete.. warranting another review probably

thanks for your time

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CDT Audio HD-62

i want to add

i do NOT own these component speakers ...yet

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CDT Audio HD-62

heh, ive owned this set for a few months now and i cannot express how happy i am with them

they are installed IB in very well sealed doors and they are getting power from a PG Xenon x200.2

the first few days i had them i just listened to them without my subs. they are simply stellar. after the break in period, i found them to be able to drop to 40hz with no deteroration. they will distort if pushed playing full range, but if crossed at 63hz with a -12db slope they can get **** loud

install pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/775383/6

Closed Thread