Reload Thread: Alpine SPX-F13M mid/tweet kit

elduderino is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon14 Alpine SPX-F13M mid/tweet kit

This is a discontinued 5.25/tweet kit. So why write a review on it?

- It uses the Scan-Speak silk-dome, aluminum chambered tweeter with a low resonance of 850 Hz, so it's a VERY nice tweeter which plays VERY low.

- likewise the cast-frame 5.25 midrange - Scan-Speak, and excellent quality.

- the passive xover is probably the most sophisticated I've ever seen, with various configurations for tweeter output, tweeter positioning, and even phase tweaking - like 150 different combinations. Allows bi-amping too.

- these were blown out last year and many dealers, online and brick-and-mortar, bought them at serious discounts. I've seen them out there marked way down...

The install is in a 2004 Acura TSX, with the mids and tweets playing 65 and up off of the front channels of a JL Audio 300/4 amp. The head unit is the TSX OE head unit, which has two full-range single-ended preamp outputs that metered the same on my bench with a sine-wave test disc as my Alpine 7903 CD player (the only thing missing was RCA jacks: ) For woofers, I'm running MB Quart RCE269 woofs 70 and down.

First off, the tweeters are a bit small in their diameter, but a bit deep due to the aluminum tuned chamber (basically a sealed enclosure). I installed them in the OE tweeter locations in the top of the dash facing up - plenty of room in the dash, so no depth issues. Why, you may ask, rolling your eyes, did I put them there? Don't I know that the tweeter should be close to the mid? Because these tweeters play low, and I don't use kick panels in this car (it's my wifes daily driver), and I wanted as good a windshield-located image as I could get. With tweeters playing down to 4500 (like MB Quart) a very diffferent effect would be heard. With these tweeters playing an octave or more lower, the effect is front stage, with very little float between mid and tweet. It's like having little dome mids in the dash. This allowed me to avoid the headphone stereo problem that low tweeters NOT in kcik panels can often create - Left, Left, Right, Left AND Right, but never Center.

The mids themselves are in birch-plywood spacers that mate up to the back of the F door panel, just like the factory speakers. This gives great midbass snap, without any of the muffled midrange that happens when the mid in the door is too far away from the grille and the sound echoes around inside the cavity.

I was very impressed. These speakers performed like a Morel or a Dynaudio kit costing $1K... great dynamics, smooth female vocals, good air around the cymbals, and good stage depth. I liked them so much I bought another set and I am planning to redo my daily driver with them, using a 7939/PRA-H400 for time alignment (the xover has settings JUST for when used with time alignment active xovers - the passive parts can still be configured for phase adjustment only...)

If you find a set of these somewhere and you can install the tweeter, snap them up ASAP!
    Last edited by elduderino; 02-19-2005 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

elduderino is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Alpine SPX-F13M mid/tweet kit

Forgot to mention one EXTREMELY important point. Since these were thought of as a center-channel kit, 1 kit gives you one SIDE of a stereo pair. Don't be fooled. You'll need two kits.

I'm sure they would be a great center channel... but they're a great stereo pair as well.

Closed Thread