Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Cerwin Vega HED 1202

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cerwin Vega HED 1202

After opening the box and inspecting my subs I thought they were attractive, but I am not a fan of stamped steel baskets. The binding posts are a push button type...( depress the button slide wire in release button, fun to play with..

These subs only have specs for sealed applications and T/S params are a bit off so using WIN ISD isn't very easy.. SO I used Another sub in the list with similar power and Enclosure specs.. Then modified it. What I came up with was a 1.79ft^3 ported enclosure tuned to around 37 hz ( due to a screw up with gravity run band saw )
    Anyway, after all is installed and checked for leaks I put them to power. Running off an Orion XTR 400 in stereo @ 2ohms.. Each woofer is seeing it's given 200 watts though they are rated for 250. Listening to the radio for a while then switching to cd's finally dropping in Crystal Method. They subs performed much better than I had anticipated. Every beat was solid and punchy without any overhang. The subs were fairly loud though not as loud as I had hoped.. They seem to want more power I would guess at another 75-100 per sub.. For a budget sub I would say they are very nice 70/30 SQ/SPL sub...They can be had online for around $60..

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

mykeys is offline URABUS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Cerwin Vega HED 1202

An update...
    ok I picked up a Sound Stream EGA900D yesterday and after an initial ground error ( forgot to remove the paint ) all went well. The subs are all run in parallel to 1 ohm and the gains are set to around half...did the gain setting the old fashioned way since I didn't have a VOM handy. They seem to like the extra power though I haven't driven them hard for long periods of time, The SQ is still all there and now there is plenty of volume.. lound enough to feel and still blends very well with whatever I happen to be listening to..lots of Rock some R&B/ hiphop
    and a bit of electronica.. Funny thing though.. with no damping materials in my car and all doors and windows are closed you can just barely hear anything from the outside aside from a few new rattles and buzzing noises.. but anyway open the door and or windows and it is lound enough to hear 6-7 houses down... I had to appologize to the neihbors (sp?)

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

Closed Thread